Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chuy415

Is it a good time to pot my adeniums to a terra cotta?

chuy415
10 years ago

I recently was gifted 2 adeniums and are in the plastic pots, but would like to pot to terra cotta..... Is it an ok time to do this, couple years ago I did this around the same time of year and somehow lost it, the caudex got soft on me :(
thanks in advance

Chuy

Comments (18)

• NeonCactus
    10 years ago

How old are they? A picture would help as well. The terra cotta shouldn't be the problem as long as it has a drainage hole. I specifically like them because even if I water a bit too much the pot absorbs the excess. I'd say you're ready to put them in the terra cotta now.

• chuy415
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here are the adeniums that need to be potted :-). Thanks

Chuy

• ladylotus
    10 years ago

Chuy,

Your adeniums look fantastic. They look like they could easily be potted up into a terra cotta pot. When I replant mine I back off on the water a tiny bit so that they do not rot. This gives them a little time to settle into their new home.

Good luck.

• Marie Tran
    10 years ago

Chuy, it is the good time to repot....your plants are looking great.
    Marie

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Hi Chuy!!!

I agree, it is a good time.. They look wonderful!!!

Mailed out tomorrow... ;-)

Take care!!

Laura

• chuy415
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Everyone for the quick responses and nice comments!! Will repot and back off on watering a bit :-)
    Laura- thanks soooo much !! No rush. Appreciate it

Chuy

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    10 years ago

Chuy, they look great! Yes, they are ready to go.

Repot them into clay pots of the same size - do not up-size. For adenium, all of the soil should be under the plant, not around the plant. For correct pot size, there should be no more than 1 - 1 1/2" of soil around the outside of the plant. The caudex itself does not need to be in soil at all. It should be completely lifted above the soil line to prevent rot. About half the adenium I see on this forum are overpotted. Not a problem in hot climates or proper (infrequent) watering, but if the plants are properly planted, you can make no-rot almost a no-brainer. :) The easiest way to make sure your plant is properly potted is to 1) make sure the widest part of the plant is at or above the soil line and 2) have no more than 1 - 1 1/2" of potting mix between the plant and the edge of the pot.

Take the adenium out of their old pots and remove all of the oil soil. Clip away all of the thin, straggly roots on the upper part of the caudex. Repot into the new clay pots so that the widest point on the plant is at or above the surface of the soil. As always, use a fast draining medium. Do not water for two weeks until the roots get adjusted. Adenium store plenty of water in their caudex and they will be just fine.

One last little tip: Make sure the drainage holes on the clay pots have been knocked open. I recently purchased a stack of clay pots and just by chance, noticed that two of them still had the thin layer over the drainage hole location. Just a push of the finger broke the holes open, but I was glad I saw it!

Good luck and post pictures when they are in their new happy homes! When you take your photos, take them in landscape mode (turn your phone sideways, bottom to the right). Then you will never have orientation issues.

Carol

P.S. Look at the adenium in the photo at the top of this forum. It is a great example of proper potting. :)

This post was edited by love_the_yard on Wed, Aug 7, 13 at 9:31

10 years ago

Hi Chuy !!

Good advice from Carol....

I would lift Caudex as well. Pot up in terra cotta about the same size as what they are in. I repot and lift every two years..

Michaels arts and crafts has great terra cotta pots, you can get the plastic there too!!

Wanted to say that I didn't send screen to cut for the holes in the bottom of your pot. I forgot... You can find this screen in small rolls at Lowes. Or go to target or any craft store and buy the cross stitch plastic squares. Cut to fit the bottom so the mix doesn't fall through the hole, but allows good drainage.

Hope this helps.. The mix will fall through the holes if you don't add screen or something to help it stay in your container, but allows water to flow freely!!

Have fun!!! ;-)

Laura

• chuy415
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Carol- Thanks Laura. First time ever potting an Adenium. Will lift caudex for sure!! Ok. Heading to Michaels tomorrow! :)

Thank you

Chuy

• chuy415
    Original Author
    10 years ago

How did I do? Like I said, my very first time :)

chuy

Here is a link that might be useful: adenium

• chuy415
    Original Author
    10 years ago

potted 8/9/13

• Marie Tran
    10 years ago

Chuy, they are looking very good. Wow....3 inches higher and big.
    Marie

• ladylotus
    10 years ago

Your plants had really nice caudex under the soil. I think you did a wonderful job lifting and re-potting your adeniums. Very nice! I love the white with the red edges. That will be a stunning plant in full bloom. Do you know what the adeniums are named?

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    10 years ago

Chuy,

Wonderful - you did a beautiful job! It's always fun to find out what shape caudex you have, too. Great job at pruning the roots, too. Don't you just love them?

Carol

• chuy415
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Marie- thank you :). Yes- about 3 inches is right! I thought for a minute I raised them too much. Lol
    Lady- thank you!! I was surprised with the size of those caudex too under the soil! Lol. Very pleased with the potting I might add :). No, I don't know the name of the Adenium unfortunately- they were a gift :)
    Carol- thank you! Yes- fun to see what they're gonna look like!! Love them very much :-)

Chuy

• stupidlazydog CT zone 5b/6a
    10 years ago

Your plants look beautiful. I think that repotting an Adenium is kind of like finding buried treasure. You never quite know whats lurking under the potting mix!
    Wendy

10 years ago

Hi Chuy!!!

Looking great!!! I knew you would have fun doing this!!!

They look wonderful and I love the look of the lifted Caudex.. They are a buried treasure.. ;-)

Wonderful job!!!

In the spring, you can prune the limbs to keep them for getting to leggy. It will make them branch out and fill out more to.

Love the mix too!!! Lol...

Awesome!!! ;-)

Laura

• chuy415
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wendy- thank you- I couldn't wait to see what was under that soil! so so true!! ;)
    Laura- couldn't have done it without your help!! Lol. Thank you. Had so much fun too.

Chuy