Return to the Adenium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grow lights

Posted by juniperbrea 7b (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 5, 12 at 0:51

Anybody have success with grow lights and DR?

If so, what type of setup do you have?
What kind of lights? Specs?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grow lights

I use HID (MH & HPS) and fluorscent T5's for indoor and greenhouse culture but not for adeniums. The vast majority of my adeniums are dormant thru the winter. Those that aren't, usually younger seedlings, are usually under the T5's. The wattage of HID lights is dependant on the size space you need to cover and must be a minimum of 4' above your plants. Fluorescents can be almost touching as they don't really generate any heat. The newish LED grow light set ups look very cool but I haven't read much good feedback on them.

o

Adeniums do better under the bluer spectrum lights indoor. Metal halide or if you are using fluorescents, make sure they are in the 6500K range for color temperature. We have had Adeniums flower profusely under nothing but CFL's(6500K). For MH, 100 watts per square foot is a good rule of thumb. Add in some 100 watt equivalent CFL's for low-energy supplemental light and now you're talking.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics of some of the specimens!

o

I try and put mine out in the sun as much as possible but if it looks cloudy or like it might rain i put it under the fish tank lights. We have special fish tank lights that aid plant growth in the tanks. Mine seems to have done ok under them :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Adenium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here