Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19802998

Tiny seedling trying to bloom.

User
10 years ago

Hello all,
Here is a pic taken this morning of a tiny seedling of Ko33 producing a flower bud. The plant stands just 3 inches from soil surface to tip of the bud. It is little bigger than the label. The bud is developing and hasn't stalled so I hope I will see it open. Maybe it will be a miniature plant, I quite like the idea of that, something different. So there we have it, if it opens I will post the result.
Happy growing,
Brian UK.

Comments (14)

• averil
    10 years ago

Brian! Will you behave yourself lol. I can't get one bud from 14 plants!. I've got an oleander about to bloom and I had the idea of sticking some of its flowers on my adeniums ha ha. I just don't know how you manage it. Absolutely amazing!
    Kind regards
    Averil UK

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hello Averil,
    Many thanks for your kind post, I can't claim that I did something to make this happen, this is just part of the amazing variety you get when you have planted seeds. You can never be sure of what you will get and that's the fun of it. Best of luck with your plants.
    Brian UK.

• chuy415
    10 years ago

Brian, very cool! Do you have your seedlings outdoors? If so how much sun and how often do u water/spray? I have about 18 seedlings that I planted individually in their own plastic pots like yours about 3 weeks ago and I believe they're in shock now as they're losing leaves and not growing :(

Chuy

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hello Chuy,
    I have to keep my plants under glass, the weather here is too unpredictable and normally too cool even during the summer. As for sun they get all available but filtered through a loose weave shade cloth which I leave on all the time. Again, our sunshine is not as predictable as yours but I think our long hours of daylight in the summer balance this out. Water is only given when the soil has dried, never by the calendar. Good luck with your plants.
    Brian UK.

• averil
    10 years ago

Hi Brian, I've just read you keep your plants under a shade cloth in the greenhouse. I have mine in full sun in the greenhouse and they have loads of lush leaves on them but not a bud in sight. do you think it is possible that the full sun all day is detrimental to the chances of them flowering?
    Kind regards
    Averil Uk

• chuy415
    10 years ago

Thank you Brian :-)
    Chuy

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hello Averil,
    I find that they can burn without the shade cloth, and sun under glass is not like sun outdoors but seems intensified, at least thats my view of it. Does your greenhouse use regular glass or one of the other materials ? The garden where the GH is situated faces due south and there is no natural shade during the day. Maybe this is a case of discovering the limits of our own conditions, what works for me may not work for you. If your plants look well I can't see any reason why they should not flower for you. I always think we are right on the edge of viability with these plants in our latitude, but then they surprise us !
    Best of luck,
    Brian UK

• Marie Tran
    10 years ago

Wow.....Please keep the pictures coming when it opens.
    So small to flower is rare.

Marie

• mscynthia
    10 years ago

How cool is that? Can't wait to see what it looks like. To me, that's a big part of the fun of seeds - the possibilities.

Cynthia

• sbrow156
    10 years ago

I have a seedling I bought over a year ago... It was only a couple of inches tall when I got it and didn't have a very big root base. A lot of people I talked to thought it was only a couple of months old. I wanted it to start branching so I pinched the top off. It didn't beach out but instead just started growing the one branch again from next to where I pinched. After another month it looked like it had never been pinched at all. I pinched it a couple more times over the period of 9 months and only now has it finally started growing 2 branches out of the top. It is still only about 5 inches tall though. And it gets fertiliser and sun during the day. Perhaps it is a miniature... Ur plant just reminded me of mine Brian so I thought I'd share...

• ladylotus
    10 years ago

Brian,

That is truly amazing that your tiny tot seedling is putting out flower buds. I cannot wait to see what will happen with this tot. Please keep us informed.

• tolip
    10 years ago

Hello. May I know how old is the plant?

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Awesome!!!!

Laura

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hello all,
    Brace yourselves, Tiny's bud has fallen. I feel as though it is letting everyone down, all those following Tiny's progress with their kind comments. On a brighter note Tiny is alive and well and I'm sure it wont be long before another attempt. When it happens I will post.
    Happy growing,
    Brian UK.

This post was edited by adenium1949 on Mon, Aug 26, 13 at 16:56