Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ssk22

Night time temps.

ssk22 Ohio 5b
10 years ago

Hi Everyone,
Here in Ohio,it has been getting really chilly at night. Last night it was 50F.
Will my plants suffer ? I have already lost a small one to rot. Seems way to early to bring inside. What do you think?
Thanks
Sharon

Comments (9)

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    10 years ago

Sharon,
    The combination of being wet and the cold night temps. could pose a problem. If daytime temps. are staying high will help, but it might be worth giving some type of protection or bringing in for night unless you have a coupious amount.
    Rick

• ssk22 Ohio 5b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Rick,
    The daytime temps have been in the low 70's for the entire month of August.
    My plants haven't had good enought weather this year to even bloom yet. Crazy weather. I have about 20 plants, was hoping for another good month outside,but I might have to start bringing them in .they are such a touchy plant. Thanks for your help.
    Sharon

• Marie Tran
    10 years ago

Sharon, don't you hate that? The weather in hot and cold and hot again. This is August and your weather in 50 at night? Wow...that is cold for this time of the month.
    I hope your plants are okay to pass this weather.
    Marie

• averil
    10 years ago

Hi Sharon, our temps have been dropping a lot at night and although my plants are in an unheated greenhouse I have brought them indoors. They are on south facing windows so still get any sun we may get. I just don't want to risk them
    Regards
    Averil UK

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Here in FL, I leave my desert rose (mature) outside till it hits 34 degrees or below and I bring it inside the garage...but the potting mix is fairly dry. Definitely wet soil and cold don't mix so when in doubt bring it inside. For me I won't be bringing my DR till the first frost usually anytime between Dec thru early March..

I wish we could see 50's at night this time of year...73 degrees has been the coldest at night since May :o(...I won't be seeing 50's at night till December,lol...

• Marie Tran
    10 years ago

Nancy, where have you been? I miss seeing you on GW
    Please show up once in the blue moon.
    Marie

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    10 years ago

Hi there Sharon, nice to 'see you'!!
    As Averil says, here in the UK it's gone rather chilly here at night. and showery during the day. My plants are inside enjoying the protection and the daytime sun through our south windows. We came back from a week in sunny/hot Spain on Saturday to find that the unusually hot temps we had been having(up to high 30'sC) have given way to a definite autumnal spell.
    I hope your plants will get to flower for you real soon, in the meantime, take care.
    Regards, Gill UK

• ssk22 Ohio 5b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Gill,
    Where have you been? I haven't seen you post for what seems like months. You take the best vacations. The weather here in Ohio is crazy ths year. Thought my furnace was going to come on,that's how fall like temps. we have had . I think my air conditioner ran a total of five days ths summer.looking for some warm days.....
    Sharon

• ladylotus
    10 years ago

Sharon,

It has been really cool here too. In fact a couple nights have gotten into the upper 30's. Not sure what is going on. We are also missing rain. It is so dry here that things are just going dormant already.

I wonder if we are going to get a hot and dry fall or snow in the next month. Good luck with your plants.