Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stupidlazydog

My Phatuma (and first forum hi)

I've been lurking around here a while, and felt it was time to put my toe in the water and say Hi.

This is a photo of my 'Phatuma' that I got from Adeniumrose this summer. Somehow, since Phatuma should be light pink (and since the leaves on half look a little different than the leaves on the other half), I think this baby just may have two different grafts on it! I'm not usually a fan of more than one type of flower on a plant, but I do think this red flower is beautiful. Can't wait until the other side flowers.

Comments (9)

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    10 years ago

That is a very nice red with a picoteed edge. It will be interesting to see what the other side does.
    Glad you took the plunge and dog looks quite happy and content.
    Rick

• stupidlazydog CT zone 5b/6a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That's my buddy Merlin in the background. He's quite the ham, always wants to be part of the action when I'm taking plant or garden pics. Here's another (non adenium related) photo.

• Marie Tran
    10 years ago

Your yard is beautiful.
    Marie

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Marie. We've been here 33 years (yikes, time flies). It's fun to see trees and shrubs I planted when they were little growing into mature specimens. Your Adenium are beyond beautiful! I hope the other side of mine turns out to look like your Phatuma.
    Wendy

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    10 years ago

Ms Wendy when you bought your Phatuma was it NP Not Proven or Proven? They have a disclaimer on the Website of being possibly 40% wrong and calling it Thailand's fault.(LOL) Big odds. I was just curious as I was thinking of making another order. Win situation as it is a great red flower and an awesome caudex. Your dog looks like a great companion. Paula

Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Paula,
    It's one of their XLG Phatumas. The description didn't say NP (not proven). I'm assuming that what happened was that the pink side flowered for them, but the red side didn't flower until after I got it. Hopefully I'm right and part of it will be Phatuma.

My dog is a great buddy. Right now he's lying next to me with his head on my foot.
    Wendy

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    10 years ago

Thank you Wendy and welcome. I am still new here and learning. That would be great to see both colors bloom at the same time. Paula

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    10 years ago

Wow, Wendy, what a beautiful yard and beautiful dog! Herein Jacksonville, we only get that brilliant shade of green in the grass and plants in March/April when the leaves are new. I can't stop looking at your photo. Your adenium has a really nice caudex from the side, hehehe...

Carol

• mscynthia
    10 years ago

Hi from another newbie :) I, too, would love to see that plant when it blooms both cultivars. And Merlin is very handsome.

Cynthia