Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lme5573

Show Off Your Seedlings!

lme5573
9 years ago

Everyone is showing off their beautiful blooms, and all I have are little stubby plants to show. If you like baby adeniums, here is the place to show them off.
I started planting seeds in March, and continued in May and June. In this picture you see all 24 seedlings, the oldest are in the back, and go clockwise in age.

Comments (38)

• lme5573
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Four seedlings managed to survive my first planting, March 22, 2014. They are exactly 5 months old.
    The two little ones I started July 4th, just to fill the empty spots. My seeds have lost their energy, because I had trouble getting any more starts.

• lme5573
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This batch was started in May, and at 3 1/2 months old have outgrown the first batch. I am excited at how they are growing. All my plants are under lights, we have not had any stretch of warm, sunny weather to move them outdoors.

• lme5573
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This batch was started June 10, and are 2 1/2 months old. They aren't as big as the others, and I think my seeds started to lose some of their energy.
    All of these seedlings are in 3.5 oz Solo bathroom cups, holes in the bottom and my attempt at a gritty mix.

• lme5573
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This last batch is about 2 months old. They haven't been pampered as the earlier batches have. I water them when I remember, and I think they have gotten a little too dry sometimes. But I still see new growth, so I'm not going to worry.
    If I can get most of them through the upcoming winter, I'll be pleased.

Feel free to add your seedlings to this post, I know we had people starting babies this winter.

Lennie in SW Lower Michigan

• averil
    9 years ago

Hi Lennie, your seedlings are looking lovely and healthy. these are my latest plantings. They are supposed to be thong chompoo but I got them from ebay so could be anything. They were planted 31 May. The one on the front left is nice and variagated but I don't know if it will remain so. I have 18 others from seeds that are 2 years old and they've just been moved from the greenhouse to windowsills because the temps have really started dropping here now
    Kind regards
    Averil UK

• lme5573
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Averil, your seedlings are so nice and chubby. You have a variegated seedling, that is tremendous! I hope it stays that way for you.
    Thanks for sharing your picture.
    Lennie

• Marie Tran
    9 years ago

I hope both of your seedlings grow fast....and give you guys plenty of blooms.

They look cute.....nice looking seedlings.
    Marie

• chuy415
    9 years ago

Here are 3 of my 5 seedlings from mr Ko- growing super fast .... I think it was mid or late may I sowed. I'm very happy with the results!! ;-)

Chuy

• lme5573
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Chuy, Your seedlings look great, and they have branches!
    Did you pinch them? Are they arabicum seedlings?
    I would like to order seeds from Mr. Ko this fall, but it's hard to decide which ones. And I think I will need to make room for them first.
    Thanks for posting your picture!
    Lennie

• chuy415
    9 years ago

Lennie... thanks so much for your comments.. :)
    I had to look back at the ebay history, they are Obesums, 2 different (10 seeds) packs, but I honestly don't remember the color blooms :(..... I just have heard so many great things about this individual I had to buy!!! :0)
    I am extremely happy with them all... growing like weeds!!!
    No, i did not pinch any of them either! can you believe it?
    I will post more tomorrow for everyone, maybe they will be clearer in the daylight :)

Chuy

• roma0904
    9 years ago

Hello

I have like 100 seedlings, obesums, Arabicums and Somalenses, this is my favorite

Roberto

• chuy415
    9 years ago

Roberto - very cool looking!! How old are they?

Chuy

• roma0904
    9 years ago

Chuy thanks

This is either from December or January, I got seeds both months and I'm not that organized so they mixed

Roberto

• chuy415
    9 years ago

You sound like me! ;). Ok. Well I have an idea of how old... Thanks

Chuy

• snakeslayer
    9 years ago

From a packet of 100 seeds, i have 100 seedlings. They are 7 weeks old and assorted colors.

• chuy415
    9 years ago

Here's a close up from the 3 seedlings I posted earlier in the week - this one is the seedling on the right.

Chuy

• aurorawa
    9 years ago

Don't laugh...they are only a week old!
    {{gwi:350452}}

• lme5573
    Original Author
    9 years ago

They look great! The early weeks are the most exciting growth. Enjoy!
    Keep posting, I love to see them all!
    Lennie

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    9 years ago

I only have a few seedlings. I do have more that just came up that I'll transplant later next month.
    One of these nine has variegated leaves, which I understand will probably turn to regular leaves later.

Lonnie

• Kachana
    9 years ago

Please don't laugh, mine is just 5 days. I threw the seeds in the soil on Saturday, and am very excited to see them at this stage. This is my very first experience with desert roses.

By the way, they have been sitting outside in 100 degrees, but under very bright shade all day. Is this practice OK? Should I bring 'em inside where it's pretty much constant at 80 degrees?

• roma0904
    9 years ago

Kachana,

I am in south Texas where temperatures have been around 110F, I have them outside with morning sun and they are doing perfect, find a place where they can get some morning sun and water them at least every other day

• Andrew
    9 years ago

Here are some of my 33 no-name seedlings that I planted back in March (I'm pretty sure). Did the lanolin with 6-benzylaminopurine treatment about a month ago with pretty good results, although some of them turned out weird.

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    9 years ago

What is this lanolin w 6-benzylaminopurine treatment you speak of?
    Curious, if you do not mind me asking.
    Rick

• Andrew
    9 years ago

I read about it on this website; if you treat a newly pinched-off branch with liquid lanolin containing a little bit of 6-benzylaminopurine (benzyladenine), it can induce way more branching than would happen naturally. That was the case with the one in the foreground in that picture I posted, it worked well for some, but others just grew weird tumor-looking branches that took forever to produce leaves. I think I probably overdid it on the 6-BAP, you only need a minuscule amount.

Here is a link that might be useful: Adenium and 6-BAP

• chuy415
    9 years ago

Very interesting!! Thanks for sharing ;)
    Here's another lil seedling I sowed in May.

Chuy

• Kachana
    9 years ago

Thank you roma0904. They are now getting morning sun and afternoon shade. They seem to do very well.

Kachana

• booshified
    9 years ago

Ill hopefully add my photos to this thread. I've got 7 tubs with 10-20 seedling a piece in them. But for now I need some explanation on "pinching"?

Why do you do this?
    When?
    How?
    Any cons?

• Pagan
    9 years ago

Hi BOOSHIFIED!

Q. Why do you do this?
    A. In most cases, although not always, it prods the seedling into branching early.

Q. When?
    A. The rule of thumb is to wait until the seedling has developed at least two pairs of true leaves, that's usually around 4th week or so, depending on your climate. If your seedling has more leaves than that, "pinching" wont apply anymore. The applicable verb would be somewhere between "snip" and "whack"

Q. How
    A. Thumb and forefinger. Literally pinch the emerging young leaves. I personally have very short fingernails so I never pinched. I used a box cutter and snipped the top off.

Q. Cons?
    A. None that I experienced. It is conceivable that pinching the top off of young seedlings could introduce all manners of diseases into the plant. I've never had this problem. To avoid it, use the box cutter technique. Make sure to wipe the blade with alcohol before using it on another seedling.

The only other concern I can think of is that you will essentially be arresting the development of new leaves so this delays growth a bit, if you are counting days. But the results are worth it because if the seedling develops branches, they look very natural.

I hope this helps.

Pagan

P.S. Below, 1-year old seedling, snipped 5 weeks after germination

• Kachana
    9 years ago

Thank you Fakechuchi for your thorough explanation. I have multiple seedlings of each kind, so I'm going to experiment the way your described above.

I'm sorry if this is off-topic, but at what age should I transplant these seedlings? And should I pinch before or after transplanting them?

Thanks,

Kachana

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    9 years ago

I feel much the same as Pagan. I pinched many, but not all and you do end up with some nice branchy seedlings. Some do this on their own.
    You cannot even see the pinched branch as the seedling matures as apposed to pruning an older plant.

Kachana, if you still have them inthe large tray/pot all together. I would pinch at the same time as transplanting. If they are in their own pot it is easier to pin point any issues that arise, if they do.
    As Pagan stated, it will slow growth rate down for a short time.
    Hope you do not mind me posting , Pagan.
    Rick

• ladylotus
    9 years ago

Here are some seeds of Somlense, Aribicum and Obesum seedlings that are about a month old.

• ladylotus
    9 years ago

The next seedlings are a year old.

• ladylotus
    9 years ago

A year old Arabicum.

• ladylotus
    9 years ago

Last year old seedling. Oh MY...I could go on and on sharing photos.

• ladylotus
    9 years ago

Here is one of my 6 year old seedlings which was a plain pink flowered adenium and I grafted it a few years ago before knowing about Marie's flat grafting system.

• Pagan
    9 years ago

Wow, everyone. Aren't adenium seedlings fun? I like that they are very fast-growing and morph so easily when pushed or pulled this way and that.

Kachama, I agree with Rick's advise on timing. In fact, he taught me that lol

Rick, this thread actually belongs to lme5573. I hope they don't mind us veering out of topic a bit.

But just to stay on track, here is a group shot of some of my surviving seedlings--the ones that survived various tragedies and periodic culling, anyway. The smallest ones sharing a pot in front spent the winter in the basement, on a window sill. They were the last survivors of that batch--if I had not forgotten about them I think all would have made it!
    {{gwi:348254}}

This one below is about 20 months old, my biggest, fattest seedling.
    {{gwi:350453}}

Completely out of topic:
    {{gwi:350454}}

Peace!
    Pagan

• booshified
    9 years ago

Thank you so much for the info. I'm may try it to about half of mine so i can see the difference.

• Kachana
    9 years ago

Much thanks from me as well for the wealth of info. I sure will experiment also :)

Sponsored
Maruca Design / Build
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Exceptional Residential Design and Remodeling Services in Fairfax