Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hookeelao

fusing/binding cuttings

hookilau
11 years ago

Since it is unlikely that my rooted cuttings will grow caudices, I'm thinking I could try fusing.

I have 4 rooted cuttings all about .25" in diameter & about 5" long. Through mish-moshed google research, I'm guessing I could score (in a linear fashion) the areas where the cuttings touch each other so that they will fuse to each other.

Does this sound viable? Then there's the matter of the time of year & climate. I'm in zone 7b, and, well, it's mid August :/ In the past, I had been more experienced with plant death than I was with plant growth, unfortunately. Al's gritty mix & 511 have both gone a long way to short-cutting the curve for me, so I'm functioning kind of at a disadvantage.

The actual cuttings have about 3 or 4 new wee little baby leaves each & I am currently acclimating them to the remaining heat & sun of the season before it winds down.

Should I not bother with scoring & simply bind them together? For the actual binding, should I locate grafting tape or can I use the stretch green vinyl stuff. Comments would be greatly appreciated.

Antoinette

Comments (3)