Return to the Adenium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sowed pink/white and got............

Posted by adenium1949 UK (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 22, 14 at 12:41

Yellow !
I bought seed labelled "Touching Heart", one of Mr Ko's, and this is the first to bloom. The picture was taken late afternoon. I assume that "Touching Heart" was the pod parent, the pollen parent was unknown. I suppose that buying seed where both parents are not known is pointless if you are aiming for a particular characteristic, but still interesting.
Happy growing,
Brian UK.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sowed pink/white and got............

Brian, that is wonderful. Yellow seedling...wow..that is rare.
Marie

o

That is lovely Brian, it looks like quite a deep yellow. I would be chuffed to mintballs

o

Thank you Marie,
In fact it is more yellow than other seedlings where both parents were stated as yellow ! Adenium genes will be a mystery for a long while yet I imagine.
Happy growing,
Brian UK.

o

Hi Brian:

That is a wonderful color from seed! How long did it take to bloom?

Laurie

o

Hello Brian. That's nice. I suspect that further flowers will even be different to this one perhaps? It is lovely as it is, but a splash more red would be super. Please show us the later flowers when they open? Great results...as usual, well done!

Gill UK

o

Thanks Laurie & Gill,
The plant is 2 years old. You are right that later flowers may be different, the double red I posted recently was plain red in the first blooms but has since produced more bi-coloured red/blue blooms.
Happy growing,
Brian UK.
p.s. I have just received a note from the Post Office that my last plant consignment of the year from Taiwan has arrived. I will collect it in the morning, woo hoo.

o

It's very lovely, Brian. Congrats on your bloom.

o

I love the flower of your seedling. Nice job on getting such a beauty. I love it...singles are my favorite and this one sure is striking.

Hybridizing is indeed an interesting adventure. I hybridized peonies, daylilies, lilies and iris in my gardens and it sure is crazy some of the colors you get when you cross a couple plants. I always think in my mind I will get this or that and seem to get a huge surprise most of the time.

I'm looking forward to crossing adeniums and see what I get.

Thank you for sharing your photo.

o

I think it's lovely! I can't wait to see my babies bloom, but a good, long wait ahead! Thanks for sharing...

Michele

o

What a wonderful surprise!!! Beautiful flower.

o

Love it! Congrats and well worth the wait. I've only had one seedling bloom this year and fell in love with it. I hope next year I'll see my 2 year olds finally bloom.

Kirk

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Adenium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here