Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
averil_gw

overwintering

averil
11 years ago

Hi folks, just a quick query. I have now brought my seedlings indoors from the greenhouse as the nights are getting colder and I dont want to risk them. My plants are only about 2 months old and doing really well. I have placed them on a south facing windowsill and they seem quite happy there. My question is : because they are so young and wont go dormant how much water should i give them during the winter months. Should i just give them very little when they are totally dried out? My second question is: do they need to be fed during this time or should i stop feeding altogether

Any advice is, as usual,very much appreciated

Averil (UK)

Comments (6)

• karyn1
    11 years ago

Hi,

How cold is it there at night now? It's still in the 60's - 70's at night here. Not sure what that is in celsius. You certinly want to cut back on watering but I wouldn't allow them to get bone dry. I'd water when the top 1 - 2 cm of soil is dry. Make sure they stay warm. It might get kind of drafty by a window. You can still give them diluted fertilizer. I only stop feeding when they are going into dormancy but since these aren't going to go dormant it's not necessary to stop.

• averil
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Karyn, thanks for your reply. To be honest i dont know what the overnight temps have been, but its certainly been coming down a lot colder in the evenings. Do i carry on watering and fertilizing right throughout the winter months then?
    Tks again :)

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    11 years ago

Hi Karyn, well it's 8.20pm and 11c at the mo...that's 51f. Lowest so far for us this so called summer has been 9.2c (48f) at night. Summer never really happened here in the UK, we have had one day warm(ish) followed by one (or many more) week/s that have been unseasonally cold, very very wet and windy also.
    Hi Averil, I too have bought mine inside also for the same reason. The g/h temps do climb nicely in a bit of sun, butI feel it's not enough. We are holding out on putting the fire on just yet though! I never let mine dry out completely, I just reduce the amount and frquency of water/feed. Will have to see what happens this year as they have never gone dormant yet even the older ones.
    Gill from the UK.

• karyn1
    11 years ago

We've had the exact opposite, unusually hot and dry. We've had temps in the 90's + since May and had almost no rain this spring which is our "wet season". I don't think we got below 90 all of July and Aug. Watching the Olympics it looked pretty cool and wet over there.

• averil
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Gill, I havent seen you around in a wee while. Im glad im not being too overbearing with my little plants and that you have brought yours indoors as well lol. Yep we havent had a summer this year eh? but hopefully we may have a mild winter. Take care
    Karyn thanks for your response.
    I dont know what i would do without all you peeps to help me out with caring for these little plants. Its lovely to come on here and get good advice
    Take care all,
    Averil Uk

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    11 years ago

Yeah, I'm still here!! I've been so busy at work during June/July/Aug having to cover for another plus all the other usual stuff to do at home so have had little spare time. The Olympics got in the way big time too, and now we are glued to the TV come evening watching all these the great Paralympic Athletes!
    I personally don't find anyones enthusiasm overbearing...this is where we come to ask and learn, so ask away! I think my big plants are trying to go dormant as some leaves are beginning to yellow slightly...I hope thats what it is and nothing sinister...yikes!
    Looks like everyones temps are all over the place, rellies in Oz have had recent nights of down to 4c, almost unheard of in their area of WA. (hopefully when we go to visit in Nov it will have warmed up somewhat) Not been too bad here today, but as usual it managed to rain us off from a gardening day though at 5pm so I guess that wsn't too bad!
    Gill from the UK.

Sponsored
J.E.S. Home Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Full-Scale Construction Firm