Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kuroc

ordered true Adenium socotranum

kuroc
9 years ago

I ordered a true Adenium socotranum seedling from arid lands as an early birthday present to my self.

Comments (25)

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    9 years ago

Kuroc,

Congrats!!
    Post pics once you receive the plant!

Lonnie

• veggie_girl
    9 years ago

Happy birthday and yes, please post pics.

• kuroc
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here it is. happy dance

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    9 years ago

Very nice Kuroc. Wonderful gift to yourself.
    Rick

• kuroc
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Anyone have any care tips?

• maark23 TX/8a
    9 years ago

Excellent gift Kuroc! Here are some tips from a grower in California:. It seems like he treats the plants like bulbs and lets them do their own thing. I know every region is different, but it might help.

"The reason they are so rare in cultivation is mostly because of their previously unknown growth season, which is late Summer and Fall. Or even Winter! Odd for a plant from Socotra.

People were killing them by trying to make them grow in the spring and summer, when they are leafless, and keeping them dry when they needed the water.

I keep them in the shade spring and summer, and wait for them to start growing leaves like a bulb then give it more heat and water."

Mark

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    9 years ago

Thanks for posting this info., Mark. It will be very helpful to myself I Know.
    Rick

• kuroc
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the info mark.

• parodise
    9 years ago

Kuroc,
    congratulations on your BD and the great new acquisition! Your socotranum looks very well grown and healthy!

Mark,
    your comments were invaluable to me, as I have made all the mistakes you mention in your post! I bought my two seedlings last November and, sure enough, kept them cool and on the drier side until spring. Then I gave them the most sunny spot on the balcony and watered regularly. They dropped leaves and went into slumber.
    When I thought I lost them, the smaller one started leafing out, the larger also seems plump and ready to grow. I water both sparingly still as the weather has been rather dark and chilly here, but I'm hoping for a nice long Indian summer when I'll give my seedlings enough sunlight and water. So far so good.

Kuroc, please keep us posted on how your soco grows!

Lena

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    9 years ago

Mark,

Great info, thanks for sharing.

Lonnie

• ladylotus
    9 years ago

Kuroc, what a great Birthday present. I am really excited to hear how your plant does and the specific care you've provided as I've toyed with purchasing one also. Good luck!

• maark23 TX/8a
    9 years ago

I'm glad to hear that the information was helpful! When I read it on another forum I knew I had to save it for the future. I feel like getting an A.socotranum now.

Mark

• Pagan
    9 years ago

Oh, my word. That plant gets quite hefty. Are you going to keep it small, Kuroc or plant it in the ground so it can be huge?

And is it weird that we've stopped giving gadget presents to ourselves and getting plants instead? lol I got myself a plant for my birthday as well.

Pagan

Here is a link that might be useful: In the wild

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    9 years ago

Kuroc, happy birthday to you! Here's my all time favourite pic of a true 'Soco'...enjoy! Guess you have potted it up by now...any pic please?

Gill Uk

{{gwi:351072}}

• kuroc
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a pic of it potted up.

• parodise
    9 years ago

Gill,
    great picture! was it taken in the wild?

Kuroc,
    I'll say it again - you got yourself one lovely soco! Does the plant get enough sunlight in this spot?

Lena

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    9 years ago

Well folks, I must apologise as after doing some more digging on the 'net the plant isn't even an Adenium after all! Turns out it's a Dorstenia gigas, aka the Socotran fig tree...I am sorry to have mislead you! Just shows you how not to believe everything you read on the internet. However, if you do a google search for images of Socotran adeniums, you will see many bizarre, huge plants...many of which I am certain are DR's! Sorry again :(

Gill UK

• kuroc
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here are some update pics.
    {{gwi:2121650}}
    {{gwi:2121651}}

So far it has been easy to grow.

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    9 years ago

Sure looks great. They are quite different than most of the Adenium family. Love the texture and look of the leaves.
    Wonderful.
    Rick

• maark23 TX/8a
    9 years ago

Excellent! Seems to be doing well. Are you growing it under lights?

Mark

• Relve
    9 years ago

Hi, kuroc's, have used perlite in the trays that sow the adeniuns and she even help at the time of germination, but packs a lot of water which helped to kill many parts newborn seedlings.
    This happened to other people?

• parodise
    9 years ago

Kuroc,

your plant looks great - I see it pushing out so many new leaves! Both of my socos that were leafless early this summer have grown a bunch of fresh leaves, but they don't seem to be growing as actively as yours - temps on the windowsill are probably too low for that.

I was wondering what size we can expect our socos to grow in our lifetime? I'm 37 - will I get to see it grow into a nice bulky little tree - anything anywhere close to what we see in all those pics in habitat? I do realize, it will still be "little",won't it?

Happy New Year everyone!

Lena

• Matt
    9 years ago

Update?? I'll post a picture of my little guy tonight! :)

• kuroc
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Update pic

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    9 years ago

Kuroc, Your Soco's look so nice. Isn't it something how they broaden up across the base. I just love it.

Mine are smaller, but are they ever starting to fatten up.

Thanks for the updates.

Rick

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm