Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sj681

when is the right time to repot my dr

sj681
10 years ago

Hi my dr is now in bloom for the first time I got it in may I had not idea what it was so I plant it just as I would have any other plant. Now I am concearned for the plant as you may have read in my previous post about a month ago I sprayed it with neem oil and now still unsure if its because of the neem oil I lost 2 leaves and the buttom leaves Of the plant still are slowly changing to a slight yellow. I plant it in potting soil mistake 1 and in a plastic pot mistake 2. I did not know about the caudex so I have no idea what mine looks like and I would like to know. I had it outside with not shade a month ago hoping the sun wouldhave helped it bloom but the same night I sprayed the neem oil rain fell for the first timein weeks and it poured so that's why I am unsure Of the leaf drop due to phytotoxicity or root rot since then I have it jn fullsun where rain can barely wet it and I always allow the soil to dry out. The last thing is I live in the carribean and my soil options are potting soil top soil sand and gravel How to repot with that and Do you remove all the soil before you repot ? Thanks for the answers in advance oh and How often Do they bloom I also watered it totally last week put the put onto the ground and slightly pulled the plant up about two inches jus so I could roll the pot to examine to sides Of the plant to see if anythinglooked like root rot but the root I saw look white I did not take the plant out fully because I did not want to interfere with flowering

Comments (8)

• Marie Tran
    10 years ago

With your weather, you can repot it now, I think it is safe.
    When I repot, I add more soil than use all new soil.
    Desert rose blooms twice a year, before summer and end of summer. I hope this helps.
    Marie

• 11otis
    10 years ago

""my soil options are potting soil top soil sand and gravel""
    In my very limited knowledge about raising DR, I like to ask the more experienced DR lovers here, how about a mix of fine gravel (1/8" to 1/4"-ish) and coconut husk pieces (instead of using fir/pine bark)? I'd rather not use soil.
    Never been to the Caribbean but I imagine there are lots of Coconut trees.

• sj681
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Interesting answers so I guesd is not necessary to remove all the dirt to see the csudex

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Hi !!

Sounds like you have the right growing condition to repot your Adenium.

They are actually pretty hardy little trees and can stand a repot this time of the year. As Marie mentioned, it will bloom twice in a year.

It might be wise to let it finish blooming before you Change the soil since it is doing well...I agree that it might make the blooms drop.

I wouldn't be to concerned with a few leaves dropping... It is the natural way for the tree to grow as well as the branch. The bottom leaves will yellow and drop. Not a problem unless there is a pest issue or soft Caudex. It sounds fine to me..

I wouldn't spray neem oil and leave it in full sun though, move it to partial shade when applying neem oil. The sun can burn the leaves. So when you do spray for pest.. Move it out of the sun and then re acclimate it to full sun.

You can repot and lift the Caudex so it can be exposed. If you are unsure, you can do a search on repotting and I'm sure you will see other post exposing the Caudex.

As far as your limited soil .. Can you find some perlite? I'm sure you could find some at a local garden center? If that isn't an option... I might add some small chunks of bark.. Can you find any type of pine bark at all? I like the way Otis is thinking.. You can find some type of small pieces of bark along with gravel or perlite to make a fast draining mix. If your resources are really limited.. I would still stay away from sand. It is very heavy and will makes its way to the bottom of the container and cause the drainage holes to slow the proper water drainage. This will make the soil stay wet and may cause root rot. Try and find some perlite. I think that will be the best option for you. Then you could add your soil mix and perlite at a 50 / 50 ratio. You want to have good drainage..

Like Marie mentioned.. if you are keeping it in the same soil.. Just remove the soil around the top of the Caudex. I find it easy to take the hose and wash the top of the Caudex to expose it more. If you are keeping the same soil... It isn't necessary to do a full bareroot. That will make it easier for you. If you choose to continue with the hose and remove the soil, it will still do fine. If you can find a terra cotta container, that would be better. just my opinion!!! ;-)

Is this just one Adenium that you want to repot? If so... Email me and I might be able to send you some ingredients that will help!!

I hope it works out well for you. I'm sure it is doing great in your beautiful growing environment !!!

Good luck!!!

Laura

• sj681
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks laura yes It is one plant I will upload a pic to show the little caudex that I have expose I tried the stores for.perlite. none had so far I purchased a clsy pot yedterday actually had not idea they bloomed only twive a year

• sj681
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks laura yes It is one plant I will upload a pic to show the little caudex that I have expose I tried the stores for.perlite. none had so far I purchased a clsy pot yedterday actually had not idea they bloomed only twive a year

• sj681
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pic Of my plant

• sj681
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pic Of my plant

{{!gwi}}

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews