Return to the Adenium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Branch tip growth points lost....

Posted by greenclaws UKzone8a (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 31, 12 at 17:31

Hi everyone, just wanted to ask has anyones plant done this...I've noticed this summer on several plants that the growth tips have browned, the tiny leaves seemed to get welded together with what looked like the sap, you know it dries to that shiny brown hard stuff? No bugs present, it just seemed to glue up the growth points so not many new leaves have formed lately.
Bonus points are that as a consequence, I can now see many more growth points are forming in a ring around the lost tips.....so I should get even more branches next year.
Gill from the UK.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Branch tip growth points lost....

I've had something similar happen on a few branches on different plants, especially my grafted and variegated plants, but I haven't seen any sap, hardened or otherwise. The tiny new growth just dries and drops. Sometimes the tip dries as well. The tips that haven't dried send out new foliage. The tips that have dropped develop new branches below, like they've had the tips pinched. Whatever it is has never spread down the branch and all have continued growing normally.

o
RE: Branch tip growth points lost....

Hi Karyn, thanks for your imput. Maybe it isn't actually dried sap that is at the end of these aborted tips, just the dried out growth point. Anyway, the fact that they seem to send out more baby growth buds around the affected tip is even better, so, apart from this new feature all is well with them thankfully!!
Gill from the UK.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Adenium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here