Return to the Adenium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what to do with mushy plant

Posted by dallasblooms Dallas (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 2, 13 at 18:00

I have an adenium (desert rose I think) that has been repotted and doing well for a year until my DH over watered it and the branches turned soft. The leaves are still on and green and the caudex is hardish. I have left it outside in the sun for 2 weeks with no water but no change. Also it hasn't bloomed in over a year. Time for a new one? I have my eye on a fragrant one in Logees catalogue but it's pricey

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what to do with mushy plant

dallasblooms,
Is it potted up into a free draining mix, as this mix will not hold excess water for overwatering issues?
I would tend to leave in a warm and filtered light situation (at least not the hot afternoon sun) to let it recover. Also might be worth a check on root area if concerned about rotting.
Always time for a new one, but don't give up on the original.
RC

o

Adenium can be lifted COMPLETELY out of the potting mix and hung upside down, or laid gently on their side, in a SHADY spot to dry out completely. They store lots and lots of water, and that is why they can go so long without water, so there is no harm whatsoever from lifting them completely. In your case, it would provide a big benefit. It would allow it to dry out. When the caudex is firm, repot in appropriate mix.

See the link below to an adenium "hospital" in India.

See this link for discussion about hanging them upside down for six months or more:
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/adenium/msg0506125821107.html

Carol in Jacksonville

Here is a link that might be useful: Adenium Hospital

This post was edited by love_the_yard on Sat, Aug 3, 13 at 14:18

o

Okay thanks. I will try taking out of the pot. It's in the "cactus soil" but it probably needs perlite to drain better. Fingers crossed

o

Stick your fingers in the soil, dig back in a few places and check the soil. Is it wet or dripping wet? Is it dry? If the soil is wet, follow my advice. If you find rot, scrape it all off and leave the adenium unpotted in total shade to dry and recover. If the soil is dry, follow RC's advice. Let us know how it goes and I really hope the best for your baby!

Carol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Adenium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here