Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rcharles_gw

Arabicum - A real treat for me

I was introduced by a friend that raises cactus' to a very knowledgeable gentleman that has traveled many parts of the world. I was invited to view his broad collection of Cactus and Succulents. I never realized that there was someone so close to home with such remarkable plants.
He is a wealth of knowledge and so humble giving of his experiences. I feel very fortunate to have had the opportunity.
He let me get a few plants from him, but never did I expect to get what I did.

The one photo did not come through. Maybe post later.
Of a Adenium 'boehmianum'.

{{gwi:351295}}

Rick

Comments (13)

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    10 years ago

Rick,

Awwwww, fabulous! What a nice treat! And what a gorgeous plant! Can't wait to hear what you received. I know it is nice to now know that you have a good resource close by and someone who is growing adenium/arabicum in your same conditions.

Carol in Jacksonville

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    10 years ago

wow that is am awesome plant. Did you get the pot too? Paula

• Marie Tran
    10 years ago

Good looking plant Rick. I had one arabicum too.....and one that I grafted 5 obesum scions on it and all took.

Marie

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I know I will enjoy this plant.
    I got the pot afterwards at a Mrket close by that has been in existence for years. It is very well known and draws many tourists. It is called Coombs Market, better known as "Goats on the Roof", here on Vancouver Island.
    It is huge and they have a garden center and huge selection of pots for very good prices.

Gentleman has mentioned to me to repot when I got it.
    Rick

• kodom087 z9a
    10 years ago

Love that arabicum! Congrats! Awesome pot too.

Kirk

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Interesting thing with these Arabicums, atleast this one. Have never unpotted one this size. Have a Thai Soco Arabicum, not so big.
    They talk about these growing across the soil, instead of deep as do the Obesum's. The underside was completely smooth for a good 6" and all the feeder roots came of the haddock roots at the further most extremities.
    Quite neat to see.

Sometimes I think, we are in too much of a hurry to raise our young Obesum's and should allow them to grow in a pot with adequate depth.
    I think that the root system (caudex) might prove to be more interesting and possibly thicker/larger.
    Just my thoughts,
    Rick

• kodom087 z9a
    10 years ago

I agree, Rick. As I acquire more and more adeniums I am deciding to only baby a select few on the roots and let the rest grow as they may. Otherwise I feel like I would be busy from sun up to sun down every day.

Kirk

• Pagan
    10 years ago

That's an amazing plant, Rick. I haven't raised any of my adult plants either and will probably not do so until I have had them for a couple of years. But I am also opting for shallow and wide, in terms of pot selection, giving them ample lateral space instead of depth.

I wish I had known about Goats on the Roof the last time I was in the area!

Pagan

P.S. What is that burgundy plant behind the arabicum? It looks like a dark red banana leaf.

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Pagan. The Coombs Market (Goats on the Roof) always have a huge number of pots.
    The burgundy plant is a Ensete Maurellii (Abyssinian Banana).. I love the color and the leaves.
    Rick

• ladylotus
    10 years ago

Rick,

Your arabicum is gorgeous. You certainly found the perfect pot for it.

I'm curious for those of you who have really large adeniums do the caudex grow at all once it has been raised above ground? They oldest plants I have are a few 5 year old babies l have and I cannot see any measurable growth above ground. When I replanted some younger plants there was some growth below ground. Your comment made me curious.

Thanks for sharing your photo.

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ladylotus,
    I have not raised them long enough to give an answer from experience.
    My thoughts from those plants that I have lifted up when repotting.
    I like/prefer the look of the caudex (roots) when the base looks larger in an inverted "V" shape. I believe that the roots will spread out if given the room to do so.
    I am going to try this with some of my younger plants to see if I can see a difference.
    I notice that with many of the growers, they are growing the obesum's in tall black pots/tubes.
    It seems to me that the root system does not grow wider when lifting regularly?
    We will see.
    Rick

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    10 years ago

WoW, that is nice! The pot you found suits it really well too. It's so obviously an Arabicum isn't it? Lovely!
    Gill UK.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

HI RIck!!

OMG.... LOVE it!!!

Congratulations... Sure is a beauty!!!

I know you are I heaven right now... ;-)

Love the container too!!!

Pretty work!!

Laura

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH