Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tracyinabq

Newbie wanting to try adenium from seeds

TracyinABQ
9 years ago

Hi, I'm new to the forum, but I've grown adenium for quite some time with varying success (although lately less success as I am still trying to trouble shoot growing adenium indoors in NM having just moved here a year and a half ago from Phx where adeniums practically grew themselves with little intervention).

I've never tried growing from seeds, and would like to try it indoors or possibly in my garage (although the garage might be a little too chilly) this fall/winter. Can anyone point me in the right direction? It seems there are so many different people's experiences online, that I'm a little baffled where to start. I have not yet bought any lights or equipment or seeds. My thinking is to purchase a 2 ft T5 lamp with an adjustable hanging height, and possibly a seed warming bed and start them in coir.

Any comments or suggestions would be very welcome!
Thanks --
Tracy

Comments (3)

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    9 years ago

Tracy,
    Atleast you are familiar with the Adeniums.
    I find starting the seeds in early spring with heat mat and lights is best for me.
    The seeds that I have started in fall are no more ahead in growth by summer than those started in Jan/Feb. So for the added expense of hydro, it has not been worth while. Same going for buying grafted plants. I get in early spring.

For starting the seeds, there is a lot of different information on this site and others. All similar, but I believe it is what each of us has available to us and what has worked in the past.
    If you "search" in the bottom of the Adenium group "bar" and type in "Starting Adeniums from seed", there will be again a lot of info.

I use coconut coir (rinsed & squeezed) with equal parts perlite. Fill pots or tray. Press lightly into pots/tray.
    Soak seeds for 2-4hrs. (this method varies by individual and seed age)
    Place onto soil medium and cover with soil [I like using grit (#2 chicken or cherry stone)] at depth of 1/4".
    Mist lightly with water.
    Place in a dome propagator ( or in a ziploc bag) and on heat mat.
    Under lights. I put lights on when I see them picking through the soil. They do not need full sun to germinate.

I use the T5 Flourescents HO (Sunblaster) and they can be place a few inches away from plants as they will not heat up and burn seedlings. Then raise as they grow which is what you had in mind.
    I hope some of this helps and does not make it confusing.
    Rick

• TracyinABQ
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the helpful info, Rick! Sounds like I'm more or less on the right track at least. Do you leave them on the heat mat until they germinate only? That's good to know about your experience w starting seeds in the spring versus earlier (although I'm chomping at the bit to get started now..) Also thanks for telling me to go search for the search bar -- lol. Lots of helpful info when you can search for it (and I hadn't yet noticed that little bit yet.)
    Cheers.
    Tracy

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    9 years ago

Tracy,
    I usually just have them on the heat mat until germinated and maybe for a week after removing from the dome or plastic.
    If you room temperatures do not get cold then a heat mat should not be essential. The T5's produce some heat which helps.
    I do know what you mean about chomping at the bit.
    I only kept my seedlings under the lights for 8hrs., as they had south facing sunlight during the day.
    Mike had his under lights for a lot longer and he had some pretty compact and full growth on them.
    I had the light about 3-4" above seedlings.
    Rick

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional