Return to the Adenium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New to Adeniums

Posted by Dogg1967 4b Ontario (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 12, 14 at 20:04

Hello Adenium Junkies...
I have lurked long and hard for sometime on this particular forum and I have also searched for an Adenium to call my own. I'm still thinking about purchasing seeds and following that path.

However, I recently discovered 6 Adenium plants in my local grocery store simply called Desert Roses. I took the plunge and picked one up. It was horrifyingly planted in solid peat of which I freed it. It is now comfortably sitting in a clay pot of gritty mix. Here it is amongst its cohabitants:

Adenium & Friends photo AdeniumandFriends.jpg

and on its own...

Adenium 1 photo Adenium2.jpg

No doubt it's a common pink flowering type, but it's mine!

I just re-potted it today so a couple questions:

Should I water it thoroughly (I misted it only)?
Should I fertilize it immediately?
Will it be fine in a south facing window with my other cacti and succulents?

Thanks for all your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New to Adeniums

• Posted by rcharles Vancouver Island, Ca (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 12, 14 at 22:30

I would water it in. If you use a "half strength" fertilizer would be fine. If it where bareroot, which yours was not, then you would use plain water. Use something similar to 9-3-6 or 24-8-16.
Should be fine in South facing window, but you may find that it drops some leaves with change of growing situation.
Rick

This post was edited by rcharles on Tue, Aug 12, 14 at 22:35

o

Thanks Rick. I watered it in as you suggested with a weak fertilizer solution. Now, just have to wait and see how it goes. In the meantime, I'm working on a DIY light stand for in the basement where I still just might try my hand at Adenium seeds this winter.

o

Welcome Dogg1967! That's a nice looking Adenium you purchased, nice caudex! You should try seeds for sure since you keep thinking about it...they are very rewarding. Just be aware, if you plants tons of seeds, you very well could end up with tons of seedlings lol. I planted tons thinking I would end up with a couple that sprouted and survived, and instead they all did :)

Heather

o

Hi there and a warm welcome to the forum, I hope you find it interesting here, we have some great folks on board.
You have a good looking plant there, well done for finding it. It is now well on it's way to rewarding you thanks to the re-pot into a decent looking gritty mix. Please stay around, it's nice to see new faces!

Gill UK

o

Welcome to the forum. Your Adenium has a very interesting looking caudex and looks very healthy.

I agree that you should try growing seeds. It is so enjoyable to see the little plants grow and change. Each one is so different and if you grow enough you can experiment with shaping their roots etc. I say carry on!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Adenium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here