Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladylotus_gw

Eddy Red Adenium

ladylotus
10 years ago

I bought this adenium and received it a several weeks ago. I sure hope it puts out a few more branches, it sure is a puny ugly lookin thing.

I'm so excited to see the flowers as they are supposed to be red and white. Does anyone have this one and if so, how does it do for you?

I really like the single flowers and that is what I ordered from Thailand. I'm so flippin excited I can hardly wait for them to arrive. I've checked the online tracking system several times every day since I ordered them. I hope I get plants that are a little bigger than ol' Eddy Red with interesting caudex. Those of you who ordered from Thailand did you get fairly big sized plants?

Sorry...do not know how to flip my photo.

Comments (40)

• ladylotus
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm curious what other plants the adeninuts are obsessed with. I am completely addicted to epiphyllums. Here is an unnamed pink/red. It is hard to tell by the photo but the flower is about 9 inches across.

• ladylotus
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This one is called Lotto and is still a fairly young plant so the bloom is not nearly as big as it will get. It will also be a fairly large flower. I saw the mother plant and the blooms were bigger than my hand with my fingers stretched out. These are really easy to grow like the adeniums and are gorgeous when in bloom.

What is YOUR poison?

• ariel7576 (Puerto Vallarta, Mex.)
    10 years ago

This has nothing to do with your post, sorry, but I LOVE your pond!

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    10 years ago

Not sure if this out of place posting other than Adeniums, but since you asked. Yes, I am love all plants, but I have to say that the Adeniums are my strong suit right now.
    Just a few
    {{gwi:351480}}

{{gwi:351481}}

{{gwi:351482}}

{{gwi:351483}}

{{gwi:351484}}

{{gwi:351485}}

Just a few. Didn't want to bore you.
    Rick

• ladylotus
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ariel, Thank you so much. That is a pond I created when I built my greenhouse. Now I don't have to leave my koi out in my outdoor pond over the winter months. I had problems with mink and muskrats eating them. It was always worrisome if we got a lot of snow that the stock tank heater would not keep enough of the pond open. I've attached a photo with part of my outdoor pond for you.

Rick, Wonderful plants. I love your epiphyllums. I just started collecting them. I purchased quite a few cuttings and will have to wait a couple years for bloom on those I am sure. But I but the large and extra large flowers and one of my favorites that I am exicited about called Padre.

I also have a few brugmansia but cannot seem to get them to grow big. I always have such trouble with spider mites on them. Is this something you've learned to overcome?

The rest of your plants are beautiful but I have not started collecting them yet. If I am not mistaken is the last photo a Clivia? Your plants are beautiful and would NEVER bore me. Thank you so much for sharing photos of them with me.

I agree right now my adeniums are keeping me busy. I wish they would grow faster up here..

• sbrow156
    10 years ago

Wow!! After seeing some of those epiphyllums I definitely have to get some! They are just so beautiful !!! Thanks for starting another obsession ;P

• Pagan
    10 years ago

(Warning: long, boring post and I hope readers will excuse this non-adenium post)

Holy cow. Now I get the lotus in your ID, Ladylotus! That koi pond is silence-inducing. I wish so badly that you and RIck (and in fact probably everyone here) are my neighbours!

Rick, judging by your previous photo of what you described as "a few" of your adenium seedlings, I can just imagine the rest of your non-adenium plant collection! And you have a flowering bougainvilla! Argh, that makes me homesick. I used to crash into my mother's bougainvilla hedge when I was learning to bike lol Those things taught me rather violently with their thorns.

Ladylotus, your adenium reminds me of my favorite plant. I really liked it without leaves and I was skeptical that leaves would have improved the ambiance of this particular specimen. It did though:

{{gwi:351486}}

I'm also realizing I like other plants too. I have 7 haworthias (yes I can still count them), 3 gasterias, a pot of lithops (I'm very proud of not having killed them yet) and then this one, a 3-year old Dorstenia foetida:

{{gwi:351487}}

Yesterday, I got these two Dorstenia lavrani seedlings (1-year old, I was told):

{{gwi:351488}}

But what I am really proud of are these two below. The first one is a Dama de Noche (Night Blooming Jasmine) that is actually threatening to flower under my care. The second one is a Black Bat seedling that surprised me by surviving being mailed to me in the winter lol

{{gwi:351489}}

{{gwi:351490}}

Yes, the bat plant is inside an acrylic tube, what I call the Idiot Plant Unit. I have a love-hate relationship with these two, as well as the tropical gardenia that's outside in the ground and changed its mind about dying.

Thank you for your patience!

Pagan

P.S. Ladylotus, if you right-click on your picture on Windows explorer, it will pull up a menu that includes an option to rotate the image clockwise or counterclockwise. I see a lot of unrotated pictures on GW of plants growing downwards from the ceiling. They are precious lol

• ssk22 Ohio 5b
    10 years ago

Everyone's plant are so nice. Epips are another plant I try to grow. The weather in my area just don't suit my plants, as they seldom flower.
    Thanks for showing
    Sharon

• stupidlazydog CT zone 5b/6a
    10 years ago

I love seeing everyone's other plant obsessions. Ladylotus, what a beautiful pond. My parents had a Koi pond and had a problem with a heron eating them.

Here's one of my other obsessions - Clivia. Here are some of them flowering the end of Feb. this year. The middle 4 in this photo I grew from seed.

Wendy

10 years ago

And here's 'Browneyed Girl', an interspecific cross from Rudo Lotter in South Africa.

Wendy

10 years ago

This one is 'Tessa'. It's actually more peach in color, lighter and not quite as orange as this photo.

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    10 years ago

All so gorgeous,
    Ladylotus,
    Your pond is amazing and love watching the koi swimming around and your yard is a dream.
    I have not had a problem with Spider Mites on my Brug's and I feed like crazy.

Pagan,
    I am not all that familiar with the Dorstenia's, but they are cool looking plants.
    The Bat plants are so neat, not had one , but seen them before.
    Your garden with the Adeniums looks so pleasing and I always love your pots.
    I am sure your place is full of many treasures. Yes, those Bouganvellia's can be very dangerous, can't they.

Wendy,
    What a treat to see all of your Clivia's and to have them from seed. An applause is in order. Such a beautiful area you have for them as well.

I hope the Adenium group does not mind us opening this thread to share our "other side" of our gardening passion for a little bit.
    Rick

• Aggie2
    10 years ago

I like how this thread wondered off topic!
    I have only 10 or so adeniums, and way more hoyas! Hoyas are also very addictive, so consider you were warned adenium lovers!

Happy growing, Aggie

• Aggie2
    10 years ago

Just in case you don't like big flowers, there are smaller ones.

• Aggie2
    10 years ago

And a tiny ones...

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    10 years ago

Aggie, those are remarkable. I only have one which I think very common.
    Small white flowers with red center held in a large cluster. Frangrance is wonderful.
    That first photo. The flowers are huge and so beautiful.
    Rick

10 years ago

Aggie, those Hoya are beautiful. What is the first large flower one? Oh no, just what I need, another plant obsession. So many plants, so little space!
    Wendy

• Aggie2
    10 years ago

Thanks Rick and Wendy!

Firs one is H. archboldiana Jumbo Red, largest flower from all I own! Rick, your is most likely H. carnosa, we all started from it... There is jumbo red with most of the flowers open.

• ladylotus
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sarah, you definitely should grow epiphyllum. they are very easy to grow and are gorgeous.

Pagan, Your Adenium looks like a twin to mine. ha ha I've not grown nor seen Dorstenia. They look really interesting. I am very excited to see your night blooming jasmine is starting to produce buds. I just bought one this spring and mine is showing a few buds too. I have not seen flowers on this plant and cannot wait for them to open and send the perfume sent throughout my greenhouse.

I would love to grow the Bat flower but not sure if it would do anything for me this far north.

Thank you for sharing the tip on turning my image. I will do that in the future.

Sharon, I know that they tend to say that Epi's should be grown in shade. However, since I am so far north I grow mine in full sun and get blooms on mine. You may want to give that a try with your epi's.

Wendy, your Clivia's are gorgeous. You must be very proud with those seedlings blooming so lovely. You know, I have never grown a Clivia. I did see them here in a nursery but they were VERY expensive. I might try to grow some from seed and see what I get. Thank you so much for sharing...

Rick, Thank you for the compliment on my pond. I will feed my brugs MUCH more and keep spraying them with insecticide to get rid of my mites.

Aggie...YOU are BAD. ha ha. OMG I would love to grow more Hoya's. I have 3 different kinds thus far. I'm away from my greenhouse so I don't know the exact names but one is Hindu Rope, another is tri color something and a plain green one with dark edges around the leaves which is my favorite. I have had them a few years but never had any blooms yet. I could see myself getting LOST in Hoyas too. Thank you for sharing your photos, they are gorgeous.

Thanks to all of you for sharing your obsessions other than our beloved adeniums. While adeniums have become one of my most lusted after plants...I still have the love for growing other types as well. I really appreciate you all sharing your passions too.

• ssk22 Ohio 5b
    10 years ago

Ladylotus,
    I have always had my plants in shade, I will move them today to a area where they get some sun. What can it hurt? Thanks for the tip.
    Sharon

10 years ago

Ladylotus, I've been repotting Clivia and getting them ready to move back inside in a couple of weeks. I have way too many, and would be happy to send you one. If you want one, email me your address. Can you do that through GardenWeb? I'm kind of new here and don't know how that works.
    Wendy

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Hi Lady!

What a wonderful thread!!

I also Love your pond.. Reminds me of the Japanese Gardens... Love the whole idea of peace and tranquility it provides . Just beautiful....

Mt obsession besides Adeniums are Plumeria

I know.... It is bad! ;-)

Thanks for all of the great pictures!!!!

Laura

10 years ago

I'm having issues with photobucket..

So I have to add.

Here is one of my favorites!

Take care,

Laura

• kodom087 z9a
    10 years ago

I'm getting excited! My Crested Blue Candle Cactus that I've had for about 20 years is about to bloom for a second time. I've always severely neglected this poor plant but this year I've been taking better care of it. I was just about to cut it up into pieces to root and get it back into better shape and growth when I noticed two bloom buds. I'll be waiting for a prune job.

First picture is not mine but is what Crested Blue Candle Cactus is supposed to look like.
    {{gwi:351491}}

Mine used to resemble above picture but it's now about 2.5 feet tall and laying outward on it's side. Most of it's crests froze off last winter. I know, bad Kirk!

Anyway, here's a pic of the two flower buds. I'm super excited and I'll have to check it every evening until it opens for some great pics. By the way, the flowers resemble epiphyllum blooms but I believe more layered and more spiky. And it's white.
    {{gwi:351492}}

Kirk

• ssk22 Ohio 5b
    10 years ago

Kirk,
    Twenty years is a long time keeping a plant alive. There is hope for mine yet.
    I lose a lot to rot, I have a heavy hand with the watering,just can't leave them alone..... Good luck with your plant and can't wait to see the flowers.
    Sharon

• Marie Tran
    10 years ago

I normally don't read any thread but adenium. I love all the pictures in this thread. All beautiful plants.

Wendy, your clivia were beautiful, I killed all my clivia. I heard it can be expensive with rare color. 5 years from seed to bloom? It that right? Too long to wait.

Aggie, I also love hoya....so small but beautiful.

Marie

10 years ago

Thanks, Marie. Yes, it can take a long time to grow Clivia from seed to bloom. Takes about a year for the seed to develop after pollination, then, for me it's taken 5 or 6 years for them to get big enough to bloom. Some people can do it in 3, but I think they're likely to be living in prime Clivia growing climates (not too hot, not too cold, but just right). I'm in chilly New England.

It is exciting when they first come in to bloom. I had a bunch flower for the first time last season, and should have some more bloom this coming season. Here's one more that I grew from seed.
    Wendy

• ladylotus
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wendy,
    That is a very kind offer. Can we do a trade perhaps this spring? I could send you a seedling adenium for a seedling Clivia?

Laura,
    You made me chuckle. You DO have an obsession with plumeria...and sadly they are big plants. But your yard and pool area look beautiful and we need hobbies for petes sake. pssst...I think you should try epiphyllums. ha ha

Kirk,
    Your Crested Blue Candle Cactus does not look neglected in any way. It looks great. I am excited to see the blooms I hope you would post a photo of them.

Marie,
    Thank you for the compliments.

Wendy,
    I LOVE your orange and yellow flowering Clivia. That is an amazing color. Thanks for sharing the photo.

• longaeva54
    10 years ago

ladylotus, here what I ordered from Thailand. bought 6 adeniums from Ebay (best_plumeria ) for 79 Dollars , free postage.
    1.Lucknirun 2.Double violet
    3.Yellow trupjaroun 4.Duangmechok
    5.Violetcity 6.Money

{{gwi:351493}}

10 years ago

Ladylotus, I'd love to do a trade in the spring.

Kirk, I love crested cactus. Yours is one I haven't seen. Please post a photo when it blooms!

Loveplants2, your plumeria is beautiful. I wish I could grow them, but I don't know where I'd put them for the winter.

Wendy

• kodom087 z9a
    10 years ago

The Crested Blue Candle Cactus finally opened!

{{gwi:351494}}

{{gwi:351495}}

Kirk

• 11otis
    10 years ago

It's beautiful Kirk. So delicate and fragile.

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    10 years ago

That is wonderful and very much appreciated by you I am sure. Very unique and special bloom.
    Congrats,
    Rick

• kodom087 z9a
    10 years ago

Thanks. I do appreciate the bloom since it's been over 10 years for the last bloom that I never got to see. It would probably bloom more if I took better care of it. After this past week it is my goal to do just that! Provided my adenium obsession doesn't interfere.

Kirk

• ladylotus
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Long...The plants you received from Thailand are GORGEOUS. I hope they bloom nicely for you. I just got my package in the mail too and will take some photos now that I have them potted up. They were really nice too. I will add photos sometime this week.

Kirk, The Crested Blue Candle Cactus bloom is really very special. How big is the actual bloom on the plant? It is so hard to tell from the photo. The pink tones on the outer petals really set off the very white of the rest of the flower. Thank you for sharing the photo. I am glad you were able to see the bloom this time around.

• kodom087 z9a
    10 years ago

Hey there!

The bloom was about 3 1/2 inches to maybe 4 inches at most. I wish I'd caught a picture with it opened at it's widest but I had fallen asleep. One of those shots was around 1am and the morning shot was around 6:30am.

Kirk

• kodom087 z9a
    10 years ago

My Rangoon Creeper is finally blooming for the first time this year. Not sure why it's waited this late in the season but at least it's blooming! It fills the back yard with a plumeria kind of smell. Flowers open up white at night/early morning and then turn red throughout the day.

{{gwi:351497}}

Kirk

10 years ago

Hello Everyone!!

Kirk.. Beautiful!! Just, beautiful....

Lady.. Lol. ;-). Are you trying to enable me? I love them too!!! Had a few, but they didn't do well.. I think I should give them another try? LMAO!!

My DH will have a " cow" if I bring home any more.. Lol. I can still sneak in a Plumie here or there. They provide great cover with all of the foliage!!

I will admit.. I DO have a problem with them as well as Adeniums.. This next shipment, will be it for a while.. " did I say that? ". Lol

Thank you for all of the beautiful pictures, everyone!!

Have a great day!!

Laura

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    10 years ago

Just wanted to share a few photo's of some more plants.
    Passiflora's from seed this year.
    The one Brugmansia from seed last spring.

{{gwi:351498}}
    Passiflora 'aurantia' (Color of flower changes as it ages, View from L-R, Top-Bottom, Middle one last .

{{gwi:351499}}
    Passiflora 'foetida var. gossyfolia'

{{gwi:351500}}
    Brugmansia from seed of Cotton Candy pod parent.

{{gwi:351501}}

Hope you enjoy as much as I do.
    Rick

• ladylotus
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Rick,

WOW...your passiflora seedlings are beautiful. Nice job as there are very unique. I also like the photo of Passiflora 'foetida var. gossyfolia'.

I have a couple few brugs but our summers are too short and the trouble with spider mites seems to hinder their progress every year.

Thanks for sharing the photos.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!