Return to the Adenium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to take care of ROT

Posted by ladylotus Z3/4 ND (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 6, 14 at 21:27

I just want to inform everyone so that people catch rot well before it gets as bad as mine has. Here is what happened.

I bought a very nice healthy plant last year toward the end of the season. So it never grew leaves. I kept it dry all winter with no problems. It had two branches...this spring one branch started showing rot. I figured since I had two branches that I would just let this one be as I did not think it would rot all the way back to the caudex.

Well, it did. Today I decided to cut the branch off. I used my grafting knife and thought all I would need to do was cut off the branch right up along side of the caudex. Well, I was wrong, the rot had started moving in towards the caudex so I had to cut...clean my grafting blade with alcohol, cut again...clean...cut and scoop out ALL the rot.

Once I had all the rot cleaned out I sprayed the wound with Daconil Fungicide, I removed all the leaves and placed inside my greenhouse in a shady area.

I'm sharing this so that everyone really watches their adeniums and when you first notice rot, just get rid of it as it will not stop on its own. It will keep spreading until the plant is dead.

Here is a photo of the Adenium after I cut off the branch, scooped out all the rot and sprayed with fungicide.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to take care of ROT

Ladylotus, I share your pain, I just got 2 big ones rot last week. I had no idea why they got rot in July and August.

I tryed to save them but sometimes it works sometime it doesn't.

Marie

o

Marie,

Are you having cooler than normal temperatures?

I know I am here. It has been cool and cloudy and we are getting very few days that are 80+ degrees with full sun. I think that had a lot to do with my situation.

Had I caught it sooner I would not have had to dig so deep to get the rot out. I am hoping it will help others catch their rot sooner rather than create such a sad wound.

I sure hope it survives and heals over.

o

I thought I would share a photo of how the rot starts. Here is one of my new adeniums that is showing rot. I cut them back to green/white wood but yikes...you really need to be on your toes and catch this early.

The first adenium above seems to have healed over well and looks like it will survive.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Adenium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here