Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladylotus_gw

How to take care of ROT

ladylotus
9 years ago

I just want to inform everyone so that people catch rot well before it gets as bad as mine has. Here is what happened.

I bought a very nice healthy plant last year toward the end of the season. So it never grew leaves. I kept it dry all winter with no problems. It had two branches...this spring one branch started showing rot. I figured since I had two branches that I would just let this one be as I did not think it would rot all the way back to the caudex.

Well, it did. Today I decided to cut the branch off. I used my grafting knife and thought all I would need to do was cut off the branch right up along side of the caudex. Well, I was wrong, the rot had started moving in towards the caudex so I had to cut...clean my grafting blade with alcohol, cut again...clean...cut and scoop out ALL the rot.

Once I had all the rot cleaned out I sprayed the wound with Daconil Fungicide, I removed all the leaves and placed inside my greenhouse in a shady area.

I'm sharing this so that everyone really watches their adeniums and when you first notice rot, just get rid of it as it will not stop on its own. It will keep spreading until the plant is dead.

Here is a photo of the Adenium after I cut off the branch, scooped out all the rot and sprayed with fungicide.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville