Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hookeelao

when is it appropriate to hang a DR?

hookilau
11 years ago

I've been googling for what seems like hours now & still can't get a straight answer as to when/why one would hang a DR.

Can anyone comment? Is it only when rot is suspected or when pruning large roots?

I love the search function but I seem to get turned around as not all info current till you follow that bunny down *every* hole. Either that or I find more current & reliable info after I'm vested in an outdated/disproven concept. LOL, annnd i get confused. 0_0

Anyway. About that hanging thing?.....

Antoinette

Comments (7)

• Marie Tran
    11 years ago

Antoinette, I don't know anybody here in USA would hang DR. I know people in Viet Nam hang adenium 4-6 months to reshape the caudex before replant.
    I have a friend who lives on the same street as me. She had so many big DR and sometimes she uproot them and stack them in her cover patio (lying down) for the winter. By late March, she replanted them and they were all okay. Take less room since they don't need water anyway.

I never try it myself.

Marie

• hookilau
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Marie,

Oooo. I get it. That's pretty clever. She gives them a dry period in winter, I suppose it's when rot might most likely set in. I see you are in zone 9, is your winter usually wet & a little chilly?

That's really interesting. I expect if I had a good deal of large ones, I might opt to do that instead of crowding up the house while overwintering everyone.

You have the largest ones I've ever seen & been able to speak with their care giver. How do you keep yours in winter & what's your winter like?

Antoinette

• karyn1
    11 years ago

I'm not sure if this relates to what you want to do with your adeniums but I attempted to hang my plumerias during winter dormancy. It was a big mistake for me. Several died and almost all the others experienced some type of damage. I know several people that store their dormant plumeria bare root and wanted to try to save space as I had a couple dozen to store. It often got into the 40's where I stored them. I've always stored them under cool conditions but in pots they had some protection as the soil acts as an insulator but bare root they didn't. I had the plumies on wire racks several feet off the ground but that didn't seem to make a difference. If you make sure the temps are reasonably warm your plants will probably be fine. If there's a chance of the temps going below 50 I'd be hesitant to try it.

• Marie Tran
    11 years ago

Antoinette
    All of my DR will be in the garage for the winter. I don't take them inside the house since they pretty toxic and messy when most of the leaves will fall off. I keep light on 24/7 and hold off water for winter. Like Karyn said, if it is too cold they will rot. So keep them warm.
    I save my old bath towels to cover their caudexes if it is under 20 degrees. Marie

• karyn1
    11 years ago

Marie do you unpot your adeniums for dormancy? What's the benefit of keeping them under lights 24/7 while dormant? Some of mine get almost no light and others the regular day/night cycle for that time of year during dormancy. I don't give any of my dormant plants supplemental lighting. Those that don't go dormant are under HID lights.

• Marie Tran
    11 years ago

Karyn, do you keep your DR in green house? If so, green house has light from outside? I take every plant inside the garage. I have been doing that every winter. I am afraid without light, they will die.
    One of my friend didn't keep the light on and all of her DR died at the end of winter. (about 20 medium pots DR).
    It is dark without light, and for 4 months is a long time.
    I had small amount died too, but because I had too many and some still young.
    Marie

• karyn1
    11 years ago

I keep some of the dormant ones in the greenhouse. I don't use supplemental lighting in the GH during the winter but do remove the shade cloth in Oct. It heats up much faster with the shade cloth removed. I keep some in the basement with no light along with some dormant brugs and plumerias and others are kept in the garage and house. They just get stuck wherever I happen to have space. The ones I've kept in the dark have never suffered and just begin putting out new growth when I move them to a warm lit space. I barely water them at all while dormant.