Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladylotus_gw

Caudex Talk...please

ladylotus
9 years ago

Can we please talk about everyones experience with the size of their caudex. I am of the believe that once I raise the root that the amount above soil is now called the caudex and I cannot see mine growing bigger above the soil. Is that what the rest of you are noticing too?

I have been leaving the roots of most of my plants unexposed so that I get larger root masses as the plants I have that I exposed early on do not seem to be increasing the girth above the soil level.

NOW, it is like a child, you do not notice it growing until you have been away from the child for a couple weeks and then you see a growth spurt. So, since I am obsessively watching all my plants daily, perhaps I am just not noticing the growth above ground.

Please share with me your experience with the caudex growth when it is above the soil.

Thank you.

Comments (19)

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    9 years ago

The caudex is one thing that is very uncertain, I think with many people just starting to grow them. Basically we are calling the caudex anything above the soil line, which used to be the root structure of the plant.
    I prefer the look of the caudex to be in a " ^ " shape or " : : " if I can get it.
    If we plant them in a wide bowl shape pot I think it encourages the roots to grow across and if planted in a narrow pot, they grow down in column shape.
    All of this all up to the individual plants genes. Manipulation in growing may alter?
    I find that with a lot of mine that they push them selves upward in their pots exposing root mass on as they grow.
    Still experimenting with them to see.
    I have a caliper reader that I occasionally check each year to see what growth I am getting in the caudex.
    Rick

• jasonwipf
    9 years ago

yes, you might just not notice since you are checking daily (like a child growing). Take pictures every few weeks or use calipers to measure and keep notes like Rick said. I'm taking pictures every 3-4 weeks so I can document branch growth and caudex size right now. I'm a beginner too.

I have some arab and Obes seedlings that I swear are not growing till I leave out of town for a few days or look at pictures from the previous week.

• Marie Tran
    9 years ago

I think it grows above the soil too.

marie

• ladylotus
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for providing your experiences with your plants. I do agree Rick that when placing them in wide, shallow pots that it forces the roots to spread out. I have most of mine in wide pots as that is the look I am trying to create.

Jason, I do need to take more photos and compare them from year to year. It is possible that Marie is correct and the caudex (above the soil line) may be increasing in girth. I am going to measure a few of them and keep notes. Perhaps by next year I will have my answer. :)

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    9 years ago

They would grow wider, larger circumference around caudex/base each year and subsequently years thereafter. Much as any tree would as it ages.
    It is the root structure under the soil which would never be seen if we did not raise them.
    These are such diverse plants and always something to learn.
    Glad to be able to exchange info as we do.
    Rick

• ilyalucka
    9 years ago

Is there any method used for thickening the caudex. Maybe pruning the growth of new leaves or so, any ideas?

• ilyalucka
    9 years ago

Is there any method used for thickening the caudex. Maybe pruning the growth of new leaves or so, any ideas?

• ladylotus
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sun...lots of sun. They seem to put girth on the caudex when grown hard with a lot of sun. You can definitely prune as this will create more branching.

Good luck.

• Tony606505
    9 years ago

I am also interested in developing a nice caudex first for my adenium. I have bought a few obesum adenium seedling ( about 25 -30 mm dia. caudex.) and have cut away the top root before I replant it. I have place a white form in the pot before I plant the adenium in. They were planted in shallow 4 inches deep ceramic pot.
    Here are some photo they have develop after a year which have the bottom top root cut away.
    1 photo. Notice the short caudex from top soil. The roots are growing sideways.

• Tony606505
    9 years ago

Another one of the obesum which have the main tap root cut away. Due for repotting soon.

• Tony606505
    9 years ago

This one surely grows very fast. It is planted at the same time with the first photo a year ago with the main tap root cut away. It is now in a 12 inches caremic pot with 4 inches depth.

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    9 years ago

Tony, those really look good, well done, you were brave!!
    Just to clarify....you placed them on a plastic disc of some kind after slicing the tap root off...correct? Do you sit the plant directly on it or on a pile of 'soil' on top of the disc? I have read about this practice before but not knowing exactly what to do, I've never dared attempt it. I may pluck up courage and have a go with a seedling.

Gill UK

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    9 years ago

Looks great Tony.
    Are the 3 plants in the photo's of 3 different plants?
    I see you have taken the main terminal growth branch out of the second plant (photo).

With the last one in the photo. This one looks to have grown with many different growth points on a horizontal plane?

Did the last one have the root pruning done with the disc placed underneath of it prior to planting again?

All look very nice. Curious for further possibilities.

Rick

This post was edited by rcharles on Sat, Jan 17, 15 at 18:21

• Pagan
    9 years ago

I have not lifted or repotted any of my plants since I got them. I noticed the trunks getting larger but have no idea what goes on under the soil. This spring will be interesting when I repot them, it's been two years!

Pagan

• Tony606505
    9 years ago

Yes, all these three plant are different plant and all of them still have a piece of white foam under it. The caudex were sitting on top of the white foam after the tap root were cut off. I have just bought another two small seedling and this is what I have been doing as the photo enclosed.
    I just cut off the bottom tap root ( sometimes a bit more ) and let it dry. Dip it in root hormone and replant it. I do not water it until one week later.

Newly cut tap roots (this time a wee bit more)

• Tony606505
    9 years ago

The white foam that is put in for the plant to sit directly on top.

• Tony606505
    9 years ago

The other adenium, I did not cut the roots because it has some good root system. I just hang it up for a few days before I replant it with the roots seperated. Hope that it will turn up nice. The caudex size about 25-30mm.
    Cost me US D 2.50 each seedling

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    9 years ago

Thanks for the explanation. A drastic procedure for sure, but you obviously have got good results from using it. Please keep the forum updated with their progress? I hope they do well as I really like that root structure spread out over the surface of the mix.

Gill UK