Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

They have been growing like crazy this week... I guess i need to put a knee high on the big ones.. I am afraid it will split when i am not home.

Thanks for looking!!

Laura

{{gwi:351833}}

{{gwi:351834}}

{{gwi:351835}}

Take care,

Laura

Comments (16)

• karyn1
    11 years ago

OMG I am so jealous! I never get seed pods. I even attempted to hand pollinate. That was a joke. I can't seem to figure out how to pollinate an adenium bloom and I've read a couple tutorials. I just manage to mangle the flower. lol I used to use stockings to cover seed pods (obviously not DR's) but now I take a very thin wire and wrap them. It's easier for me.

• ssk22 Ohio 5b
    11 years ago

I second Karyn1, have never had a seed pod and my plants summer outside.
    How long does the seed pod take to maturity?
    Thanks for sharing
    Sharon

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Karyn and Sharon!!

It seems like these are growing about a half inch every day. Maybe faster. I have to work out of town and sometimes im gone for three days or so. I did tie up one last year and that helped. I didn't tie up one and it opened overnight and i lost all of the seeds.. So i might do the same again this time. Im not quite sure of the "norm" for them to finally mature. It seems that it is very fast compared to the seed pods on Plumeria.

Karyn.. i was thinking about the pollination of these gals..

Do you think that since they are close to the Plumeria and attract the moths at night like the other trees? I see lots of moths on my Plumeria and they are very close to the railing of my trees. Do you think this is the reason?

I haven't done anything else to help them along.. This is the most pods i have seen on these trees.

No pods on the Plumeria though, but lots of inflos. The smell is delighful at night, maybe that helps?

Take care,

Laura

• karyn1
    11 years ago

Laura I'm not sure what the natural pollinators of adeniums are but would think they'd be on the smaller side. About the only thing that pollinates my brugs (besides me) are the Sphinx moths and they do their work at night so maybe some of the smaller ones are pollinating your adeniums. I rarely get pods on my huernias and stapelias but when I do I'm sure it's the flies attracted to the putrid odor. That and the ceropegias are others that I can't figure how to hand pollinate.

• karyn1
    11 years ago

Laura what is the average number of seeds you get in a pod (both horns)?

• elucas101
    11 years ago

COOOOOOOOLLLL!!! That's a lot of seeds pods, that's awesome!

Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Kkaryn,

If i can remember correctly, it was about 15-20 seeds per pod. Once they open...

If anyone want some.. let me know.. I will let you all know when they have opened and you all can have what you like!!!

Hi Emily..

You wouldnt believe how fast they grow. I see new ones developing each day., I really believe having them near the Plumeria has help them pollinuate. What do you think?

Hooe you are well!!!

Take care,

Laura

• karyn1
    11 years ago

I've had more success getting seed pods on my plumerias but have never had one reach maturity. I use pine needles to hand pollinate the plumeria.

• tweetybaby2005 (KS 6b)
    11 years ago

Oh my world, Laura, they look like those golden fingers Thai people wear for their traditional folk dance! I have to ask my Thai friend for a picture to compare. I would love to have some of those seeds and see what comes of them since they don't grow true to their parents. Did you hand pollinate them or just let nature take its course?

On a side note, the NOID pink Plumeria cutting you gave me has been blooming like crazy for the last few weeks! My DH loves that plant. Will have to take some pictures to show you.

Take care,
    Kuan

• Marie Tran
    11 years ago

Laura, if these pods ready for sowing, you will be busy for a while. I don't have that many pod on my plants at all.
    Marie

Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Kuan!!!

Soo nice to see you! I am glad your Plumeria is blooming for you for you..,mine is too! SHe sure is a pretty one!!! Glad you like it!!

I have never seen so many pods before. I need to take another pic tomorrow for you all to see. I mean it..it is crazy? WHY?

I dont hand pollinate them..just left them to nature..

They sit on that sme bench every year. The Plumeria are next to them against the railing..

This is the first year Marie that i hve thad them like this

What do you think? I have tired severl together in the hope thst i miss them open...

I am just amazed..

Thanks for lookimg Marie!!!

Laura

• cinnie0 (z 9b / So Cal)
    11 years ago

I would love to have some seeds when they are ready

Original Author
    11 years ago

i will send you an email when they are ready Cinnie... Is you email working in your page section? If not.. Ill let you know here when they are ready and you can have as many as yu would like!!! :)

Laura

• cinnie0 (z 9b / So Cal)
    11 years ago

yes my email is working in my member page. thank you..

• locoguy
    11 years ago

those look awesome. I just got one for the first time, but not nearly as big as yours.

• Aggie2
    11 years ago

Laura, those are so cute and looks like very fast growing! It's so cool how seed pods from far relatives look a like; mine Hoya lacunosa has 2 pods and these look like mini version of yours :o)! I suspect for Hoya moths took care of pollinating, but weren't interested in my DRs! If you are interested in trading seeds let me know, hoya seeds can be unpredictable as well; there are 3 other hoyas blooming next to this one so who knows what will grow from the seeds!

Aggie