Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mscynthia_gw

Young 'Uns Perking Up

mscynthia
10 years ago

Last week I got two DRs I had ordered from Thailand (they got through customs with no problems - hallelujah); they're little and the grafts are ugly but they're healthy. I potted 'em up, gave them a little drink, put them outside in the shade and hid the watering can. As of today, Maithong has 4 tiny branch buds and Ploy Pakay is putting on leaves (no branch buds that I see). Woo hoo! I'll post pics when you can see the action without resting the tip of your nose on the plant. :)

Thanks to everyone who ever posted "how to" info on planting bare root plants. I'm pretty sure I would have drowned them if it weren't for the guidance I got here.

Cynthia

Comments (8)

• Marie Tran
    10 years ago

Cynthia, I am very happy for you. Please remember to post pictures...I can't wait to see them.

Marie

• cara
    10 years ago

Don't forget to share with us the progress of them please.

I order two grafted ade from Thailand but i left it in S. Florida with my husband. So far it is not died but not close on flowering. Was not planning to stay in Ga. for long. He is coming home next week and bringing it home, maybe i can save these two and hope it flowers.

• ladylotus
    10 years ago

Congrats Cynthia. I hope they begin putting out leaves for you soon. How fun to get new plants. I cannot wait to see photos either.

You made me laugh out loud with your 'resting nose' comment. Since I live so far north I know that feeling all too well when all you are posting photos with leaves on your plants I'm constantly checking mine waiting...waiting in hopes mine will magically rush to put on leaves too.

Enjoy your new plants.

• mscynthia
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, ladies :) I will put up pictures soon.

Cara - I bet your plants just need a little TLC; I know you'll be glad to have them with you.

LL- I made myself laugh when I pictured holding the plant so close to see the little buds. I knew I couldn't be the only one to do that!

Cynthia

• mscynthia
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Maithong on the left, Ploy Pakay on the right. I'm beyond excited that Maithong is sprouting so many branches; there's another bud on the opposite side. Please let the blooms really be yellow with pink edges, please . . . :)

Cynthia

• ladylotus
    10 years ago

Cynthia,

Your new plants look really good. The grafts look very strong and congrats on all those branches on Maithong. That looks like it will be a lovely plant for you.

I have Ploy Pakay too and LOVE it. It is such a beautiful, delicate, feminine looking flower. I hope they bloom accurately for you. Good luck girl.

• mscynthia
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, LL. The grafts are strong but boy, are they butt-ugly!

Do you have pictures of your Ploy Pakay blooming? I'd love to see it.

Cynthia

• ladylotus
    10 years ago

Cynthia,

The grafts will begin to look nicer as the stems begin to add girth. It is like a tree when you cut a limb off, eventually the plant heals itself and you hardly see the scaring.

I will go through my photos to see if I have a picture of mine blooming. If I do I will definitely post it.

Sponsored
Carl Williamson Designs, LLC
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Nationally Acclaimed Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz