Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rcharles_gw

Safer's soap (Trounce for aphids & other on Adeniums

Has anyone used the Safer's Soap 'Trounce' on their Adeniums?

Does it have I'll effects on the leaves and/or do you rinse it off a day later?

Many people have said to use systemic insecticide, but here in Canada

Many or most have been banned. Not sure I feel comfortable using them anyhow.

Comments (13)

• karyn1
    11 years ago

I feel better off with Q-tips and/or cotton balls dipped in a diluted (very diluted like 10:1 water to alcohol) solution of isopropyl alcohol and water with a drop of dish soap or even plain water. Just wash the plant well. You might need to repeat this several times before the beasties are eradicated. I don't care to use any insecticides. I personally have no experience with 'Trounce' but think the Safer products are fairly safe and if concerned wash the plants off after a day with a spray of water. I'd keep any treated plants out of the sun for a day after treatment, regardless what it is.

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks karyn1,
    I have bunch of seedlings started this spring and there where a few aphids on them and did not want to bring them in from greenhouse without treating. Have sprayed them down with water a few times to get rid of them.
    Just was not sure how the young plants would take to insecticides. Maybe alright if I do as you say and keep out of sun and rinse off after a day.

• halocline
    8 years ago

Any better info in the last 31/2 years?

I know Adenium's don't like oils. Suggestions on the best soap pesticides? Preferably for indoor use. (Mealy Bugs)

Rob

• Stuart( Paramaribo, Suriname) Hofwijks
    8 years ago

I am using neem oil half strenght with dish soap on seedlings without any harm

• Todd C
    8 years ago

You can make a nicotine spray yourself that will kill aphids. Google it. It works

• halocline
    8 years ago

I ended up going out today and buying some "Safer" Insect Killing Soap Concentrate. I'll do a spot check, but I think it should cover my needs.

Everyone warns you that the hot, dry conditions inside your house during the Winter; are perfect for Spider Mites and what not. So I go and build a grow tent/greenhouse, and as it turn's out, Mealy Bugs just Luuuuuuuuuuv humidity!

Whelp, it's bath time!

Rob

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I have been using the Safer's End-All now for at least 2 seasons and works without damage to leaves, albeit not using in sun.

The 'Bug-B-Gone' works well also.

Rick

• Marica 7 high Sierra's Ca 4,000ft
    8 years ago

systemic insecticide and other Chemicals seem to banned in Canada. Is this for an environmental thing? Odd question I know

• Marica 7 high Sierra's Ca 4,000ft
    8 years ago

I never thought of that. My many hummers could be hurt Thanks

• Todd C
    8 years ago

Well I agree that in general insecticides are overused. And herbicide weed killers and fungicide products too. But systemic just means it moves in the plant. Imidacloprid is a systemic very similar to nicotine. It's bad for some beneficial organisms like bees, but used properly isn't bad for human health. It works on a chemical pathway that insects have that we don't. I always try to use the most natural least toxic solution, and don't agree with the indiscriminate use of chemicals some people do, but at the same time modern science has created some pretty useful stuff, if we are smart about it, careful, follow directions and read labels chemical intervention is sometimes the best solution. Just my two cents :)

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Timing for using Systemic herbicides or pesticides is very important. Mainly for anything that will feed off the blooms. It is through the plant tissues how they work and humans are probably the least of the concern. Unless misused and proper equipment is not used.

Not something to be used without some thought.

Rick

• halocline
    8 years ago

Years ago I thought Neonicitinoid's were a specific pesticide/chemical. I hadn't thought much about it until a couple of years ago when I was at HD saving a Sempervivum. I noticed a sticker on it that read "This product has been treated with Neonicotinoids". / (the most widely used insecticide in the World). Then I found out that instead of HD not using neonic's all together, they think placing this little label on all of their plants release's them from any accountability. I don't buy plants from HD or Walmart.

I however am not completely innocent, but I try to practice strict caution whenever using harsh chemicals of any kind.

Rob

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert