Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
guavafarmer

Question on multi color grafted adeniums

guavafarmer
11 years ago

Hi everyone,

I am interested to know what your opinion is on multi colored grafted adeniums as oppose to single colored ones. I have been growing adeniums with my dad the past 3 years and looking to grow our business and needing to learn more about the market. Would you prefer one over the other? Why?

Thanks for your input.

Robert

Comments (15)

• guavafarmer
    Original Author
    11 years ago

By the way, here are some pictures of adeniums at my dad's house.

http://s938.photobucket.com/albums/ad230/rlang4/Adenium%202012/?start=all

• Marie Tran
    11 years ago

I like both, just one color and multi colors on one plant. If all of the colors bloom at the same time, it is very pretty.

You had many big size caudexes. Congrats.
    Marie

• ssk22 Ohio 5b
    11 years ago

I could'nt open photobucket, but I would love multi color flowers all open at same time.
    Sharon

• guavafarmer
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the input Marie and Sharon. So far, we have experienced mostly positive interests in multicolor adeniums. So far, we have grafted up to 5 different colors on one adenium.

Sharon, not sure why you can't see the photobucket pictures. Try copying and pasting the link to a new window if you haven't already done so. Thanks

Robert

• karyn1
    11 years ago

You have some DR's with fantastic caudexes. Very nice. As for multi color grafts, I'd certainly consider 1 or 2 as a novelty but the majority of my collection would remain single color plants. Like Sharon mentioned it would be nice if all the different color grafts bloomed at the same time.

Has your Dad been growing adeniums for a long time? Most of the plants pictured are obviously well over 3 years old. Where are you located?

Good luck

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    11 years ago

Those are some great plants you have there. I have only ever seen one Adenium 'in the flesh' for sale here in the UK so for what my humble opinion is worth....my choice would be a triple graft in 3 harmonising colours. If they could be in bloom at the same time as others suggest, I'm sure that would be a real plus point and a definite 'must' for any multi-graft I would think. Then, on thinking about this even further, if they bloomed in succession, you would have the potential of extending the flowering season to months of flowers on one plant surely?? The possibilities and therefore opinions are endless.
    Gill from the UK.
    P.S. I would also be very interested in an Adenium plant of any shape/flower colour/specie to save me from growing from seed. lol!

• guavafarmer
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Great feedback guys, Thank you very much. Some of the plants that we have were purchased from various sellers in Florida. But we have about 4000 plus seedlings as well in 50+ colors that should be ready to bloom by the spring.. We are located in Texas, about 20 miles Northeast of Dallas. Our goal is to bring the best of tropical trees and DR to the Texas area. I want to be the biggest supplier of DR in the south and want to bring the skills and techniques of growing DR to Texas.

Obviously due to Texas weather it is difficult to maintain DR especially in the winter, but that is where our passion will take us further because you guys know it can be a lot of work. Always wanting to learn is the key. I thank you all for your input.

Robert

• karyn1
    11 years ago

I think that Marie gets her grafted DR's from someone in TX but they import from somewhere else.

• sbrow156
    11 years ago

Multicoloured would be very beautiful I think. Its different so they should sell more as you wouldnt find them everywhere. WOW so many fancy caudex's in those pics Rob! They are beautiful!

• guavafarmer
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you sbrow156. I think that is the direction we are going for. Although, its funny that my personal preference is one solid color. Thanks.

• Marie Tran
    11 years ago

This is one of my plant with 4 colors. If you grafted multi colors on the same plant, and some colors grow faster than other, they will took over the energy and make slow grow scion even slower to grow.
    This was not a blooming season, so not that many blooms on this plant. Dark red, regular pink, and round petal pink.
    Look closerly, you see one verigated scion, it will bloom, but after all the colors are done.

{{gwi:352071}}

{{gwi:352072}}

• guavafarmer
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That is beautiful Marie. Thanks for sharing. Robert

• Marie Tran
    11 years ago

Thank you Robert, this plant is not in full bloom. I had other plant with 4 colors all bloom at the same time.
    Marie

• yumtomatoes
    11 years ago

I don't like to mix the pinks with a true red or a white. A mix of pinks would be nice, though.

Sponsored
Preferred General Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Fairfax County's Specialized, Comprehensive Renovations Firm