Return to the Adenium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
desert rose family?

Posted by ltran54 9 (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 14, 12 at 12:16

A friend of mine gave me these 2 small plants. She got them from her out of state sister. She told me the bloom will be yellow. I know they came from desert rose family, but never own one for myself. (now I have 2). After asking around, another friend show me a picture of her plant with 3 blooms on it, but she doesn't know anything else about this kind of desert rose.
Does anyone in here know more about this plant?

Photobucket

This is the older plant with blooms.

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: desert rose family?

Pachypodium for sure-- maybe rosulatum. I'm sure if you post on the cacti forum someone will have a positive ID.
Mike

o

Mike, thank you so much.
I google both names your gave, and the first one was right on the dot. Pachypodium. The second name has caudex base and it looks very simlilar too.
Now I can find out how to care for it.
Thank you again.
Marie

o

I wonder why the pics aren't showing up for me? I treat my pachys the same as most of my other succulents. Dry in the winter well watered in the summer. Mine lose their leaves in the winter but I still keep them warm and under lights, though I'm not sure it's necessary.

o

No pics for me either :(
Gill from the UK

o

I am sorry Karyn and Gill. After Mike gave me the name I googled it and put a name on the pictures. I then replace it on photobucket for easy remember, without relized it will disappeared from GW.
Here they are with name.

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Very nice. I agree with Mike on rosulatum. BTW rosulatum is a pachy. It's very similar to my P. bicolor but the leaves are smaller. The first ones look a bit like small P. lameri ramosum's but I'm not sure the foliage is right. Did Mike give you the species name?

o

No, Karyn, if you have more info, please help me out.
Thank you so much.
Marie

o

The only info I can give is that the ones in the 1st pic might be a variety of Pachypodium lameri and the 2nd is most likely Pachypodium rosulatum. Here's an old pic of my P. lameri ramosum (while dormant)
Photobucket

o

Hi Marie,
A lot of the little ones look very similar at that stage--In a couple of years when/if they start to branch or flower you should be able to pin the name down!
Mike

o

Hi Marie, no worries! If you could email me a pic of each of the plants I 'may' be able to get some more info for you from a Forum here in the UK I belong to...just a thought.
Mike, don't mean to 'tread on your toes' so to speak, just seeing if I can find out a bit more for Marie...the guys on my forum grow all manner of wierdo's!! lol!! :)
Gill from the UK.

o

Karyn, your plant is very cute.
Mike, thank you for the info.
Gill, is is okay...I now know how to take care them, full sun and less water....good enough for now.
Thank you again....
Marie

o

I changed my mind about a variety of P. lameri. That pic of mine was from a few years ago and it just gets fatter around the middle. The bigger difference is that the foliage only grows from the tip. You might want to post the pic on the cacti/succulent forum.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Adenium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here