Return to the Adenium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rooting cuttings

Posted by cinnie0 9 / So Cal Joshua Tr (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 25, 12 at 12:17

Hello I can't find the post about how to root an adenium cutting. My mom has one that she got from walmart and now there are 2 small branches growing on the cadex she would like to cut them and try to grow them but we dont know how. I remember seeing a post but now cant find it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rooting cuttings

A member on here called Antoinette commented on one of my threads and said that to root a cutting she lets them sit for a couple of days till the end is calloused over & dried up,then puts them in an in-organic mix (gritty). Misted & pops them into a clear plastic baggie. You could try doing that? I am lazy and did some recently and just popped them straight into the gritty mix and they seem to be doing great. New growth and flowers opening (i had pretty big cuttings from pruning) so id say its a success :)

o

• Posted by cinnie0 9 / So Cal Joshua Tr (My Page) on
    Tue, Sep 25, 12 at 20:00

thank you

o

Plants grown from cuttings 'rarely' develop fat bottoms, but that's not to say they 'never' do! Just curious as to why you want to sever the new branches from your new plant, maybe they are growing in the wrong place? Can you post a pic for us?
Regards, Gill from the UK.

o

Wed, Sep 26, 12 at 10:20

They are down on the bottom mom doesn't think they should be there, would get a pic but i dont live with her and have a busy schedule.

o

I remove the foliage and allow the cuttings to cure for about a week then I pot them up in either pure perlite or a very gritty mix. I lightly water them in once with a stimulator like B1 or Superthrive, keep them someplace warm, and leave them be. No more water until I see new growth developing. I don't enclose the container or cover the cuttings in any way. I find that I get rot if I do that. I pretty much root them the same way that I do plumeria cuttings. They tke quite a while to root. So far I've never had one develop an enlarged caudex but I don't usually keep them for long.

o

Thu, Sep 27, 12 at 12:07

thank you

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Adenium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here