Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sj681

water drainage

sj681
10 years ago

Hi as I mentioned in previous post my adenium is in potting soil in direct sunlight I have not repotted yet going to soon because I took a while but I have finally sourced some perlite. My question is I always water with one cup Of water everyday or two depending on the heat but lately I notice in the morning the soil is like dust and when I put a cup Of water in it If drains out the buttom in seconds before It usually took about 5 mins for me to seewater come out the buttom what is causing this change does If have something to Do with the root

Comments (11)

• sj681
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My plant

• sj681
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My plant

{{!gwi}}

• sj681
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My plant

{{!gwi}}

• sj681
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Also I purchased bayer 3 n1 flower care and disease control when repotting the miracle gro alreeady has fertilizer is it bad to use the bayer soon after I know I am going tio use 50 miracle gro 50 perlite just wanted to know i How soon after can I use the bayer I read somewhere on the forum someone used it and there dr is beautiful so thought I would give If a try

• sj681
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Also I purchased bayer 3 n1 flower care and disease control when repotting the miracle gro alreeady has fertilizer is it bad to use the bayer soon after I know I am going tio use 50 miracle gro 50 perlite just wanted to know i How soon after can I use the bayer I read somewhere on the forum someone used it and there dr is beautiful so thought I would give If a try

• L_urch
    10 years ago

If your soil is crazy dry it might have contracted from the walls of the pot leaving openings for water to just drain freely down. I'm guessing if your saying it looks like dust on the top that might be the case. Just throw a cup of water of on it, wait 5-10 minutes and do it again. You just gotta make sure the water gets all throughout the soil inside the pot. Your DR looks like its doing awesome.

I don't know anything about the bayer stuff!

• sj681
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes that true I did try to slide it out the pot a few weeks ago to check the roots and I have noticed it still is away from the pot but I had no idea that that was causing this thanks. Would It ever attach back to the pot

• L_urch
    10 years ago

Yea mine does after I give it enough water. You just gotta make sure the water soaks all the way through to the middle and doesn't just moisten the outside. In my experience I'd give it like 5 cups of water and wait like 5-10 minutes between waterings.

• Pagan
    10 years ago

Hi SJ. It's probably the peat in the potting soil that dried out and is now hydrophobic. When you repot, add some tree bark also if you have it, aside from the perlite.

If it was my plant, though, I would not Bayer it since it looks very healthy and is flowering profusely. (Yes, I just verbed "Bayer" and I also just verbed "verb" lol)

Hey, is your plant flowering from the side of that stem on the right? or is that a shorter stem and its flowering at the tip?

• sj681
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks fake chuchi there are actually two stems on the right and its flowering on both at the tip I was going to use the bayer because I had an aphid probem a couple months ago and I really Do not want anymore pest ptoblems and the bayer seems to protect against most pest with the granules

• sj681
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Is the coconut that they put orchids in ok to mix in adenium soil