Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mateopava

I bought my first Adenium

mateopava
10 years ago

Hi All,

I bought the Adenium Obesum in the photo below a week ago for $50 Pesos. About $3.50 US Dollar. Normally in my area I see rooted cuttings with very little caudex for 150 to 180 pesos. So I could not resist when I saw this plant.

It is in a 6" pot. The caudex is busting out of the bottom. So I bought a new 8" pot also. It was in flower when I bought it a week ago, but since then the flowers have dropped. They appeared to be similar in color to photo's I have seen of the standard species. It also has a bonus seed pod attached, which if I understand correctly I should place rubber bands around or place a plastic bag over before it matures if I want to save seeds. I think i read somewhere that the seeds explode from the pod when it matures.

I thought I would transplant it to the new pot this week, but now I am having second thoughts with winter approaching. Normally in my area we get cool fall weather around mid-October, closer to Halloween. And then the cold winter air moves in, with lows in the mid 30's around the 3rd week of November. I know the plant will go dormant once it gets cold enough, so should I wait to repot until Spring? And since the caudex is busting out of the bottom, do you think 8" pot is big enough or should I move it up to a 9 or 10" pot?

One other concern I have is that it will be kept in a unheated room with an east facing window once it get's too cold to keep it outside. During a normal year, this room maintains a temperature of about 45 F during the shortest day's of winter, the last two weeks of December through the first two weeks of January. After that the temp in the room very slowly begins creeping up again. I have only seen that room go below freezing once during 2011 when the temp outside got close to 0F. Last year my ficus stayed in this room and it did not get cold enough to cause it to go dormant and drop its leaves. Do you think this room will be ok to keep it over winter if I do not give it water?

Hope that was not too long of a post. Any comments to my questions above or any other comments are much appreciated.
Matt

Comments (14)

• kodom087 z9a
    10 years ago

Hi, Matt.
    Repotting is up to you as I think you still have a bit of warm weather for a while but up to you, really. I just repotted a couple of mine.
    I think if your ficus survived in that room then the adenium should to. I find ficus to be extremely temperamental and fussy. More so than an adenium. Just remember to cut back on the watering quite a bit during the winter season.
    As for the seed pod, I hear just wrapping a wire or perhaps string loosely should do the trick. Or a fine mesh something. Anything to allow air circulation but hold it together or catch the seeds when it does burst open. I've not been lucky enough to get any seed pods so I'm going by what I've seen others talk about.

Hope this helps.

Kirk

• maark23 TX/8a
    10 years ago

Hey Matt, good looking plant.

Where did you happen to get that plant? I live in El Paso, and have hardly seen these for sale anywhere.

Mark

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

I agree with Kirk!!

It's can still be done now, but if it makes you feel better, wait until spring and then bareroot it and pot up and raise the Caudex. It will love it.!! You could go one size larger, but I wouldn't go any larger than that. It looks really healthy. I also like terra cotta pots to!!

Like Kirk mentioned, cut back on the water during the winter...

Good luck and you have a beauty there!!!

Congratulations!!!

Laura

• Marie Tran
    10 years ago

Matt, that was a great buy. Healthy look plant.
    Marie

• mateopava
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Kirk and Laura, thanks for the input. I decided to pot up today. I bare-rooted the plant and raised it slightly to expose more of the Caudex.

Hi Mark, to answer your question, I bought it at a small garden center in Cd. Juarez. Are you familiar with Juarez? I could tell you where it is at. I also saw similar plants at the HD in Juarez, but they were a bit more expensive there.
    I saw some larger Adenium plants at the Walmart near Airway Blvd. in El Paso in the spring, I have not been back there since May so not sure if they still have them. That Walmart usually carries really nice, large succulents in the Spring, just FYI.

Hi Marie and Thank You!

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    10 years ago

Matt good looking plant. What does it look potted up? Paula

• mateopava
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a picture after pot up. Is it ok to leave any exposed roots after lifting it, or is it best to trim them off the Caudex?

• kodom087 z9a
    10 years ago

Looks great in the new pot! Some people trim the finer roots and some don't. Is all preference. If you don't they add character and eventually fatten up some. If they die off then you can just easily remove them.

Kirk

• mateopava
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Kirk.

• maark23 TX/8a
    10 years ago

Thanks Matt! I actually don't go to Juarez, I used to go over for the dentist but that was all. I no longer have a reason.

Thanks for the info tho. I will check there. I hardly go to wal mart. I usually check home depot and Lowes.

Mark

• chuy415
    10 years ago

Matt- lucky you for finding a nice Adenium with a seed pod!! As I was reading along.... I saw "Cd. Juarez".... My heart instantly raced- my parents have property there and my Aunt used to live there but had a very bad experience there - she now lives in Cali ever since- but I was so shocked to hear you bought it there :-). It's been about 27 years since I've been there- and lets just say- never will return. Great find and very healthy looking too!

Chuy

• mateopava
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Chuy! Yeah Juarez can be a pretty dangerous town. I'm only here because I followed the manufacturing jobs out of the U.S. If my job ever goes away for some reason, I would definitely leave Juarez.

• mateopava
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just an update on that seed pod. I got 11 seeds from it. I sowed them all 2 weeks ago and got 10 of 11 germinated. Pretty good I think.

• chuy415
    10 years ago

Congrats!!! Let's see some pics! ;-).

Chuy

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!