Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jjbadenium

Adenium's at Home Depot

jjbadenium
9 years ago

Yesterday, my local Home Depot had about 15 adeniums in 10" plastic pots that were reduced in price. I bought four with the largest caudexes which ranged in size from 6 3/4" to 9". Awesome plants! They are all between 12" - 18" tall.

The first picture shows the adenium in the original pot along with a picture of the 6 3/4" caudex and a picture of the plant repotted in a 12" pot. I exposed some of the buried roots.

If you live near a Home Depot, you may want to check and see if they have some of these adeniums in stock.

Comments (15)

• jjbadenium
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The second picture shows the adenium in the original pot along with a picture of the8" caudex and a picture of the plant repotted in a 12" pot with some exposed roots.

• jjbadenium
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The third picture shows the adenium in the original pot along with a picture of the 8 1/2" caudex and a picture of the plant repotted in a 12" pot with some roots exposed.

• jjbadenium
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The fourth picture shows the adenium in the original pot along with a picture of the 9" caudex and a picture of the plant repotted in a 12" pot.

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    9 years ago

My goodness, what a plant that is and you have 9" diameter ones also!!! Dare I ask what price they were, just to make me more envious! Great finds...can we see the rest???
    If those thin roots are not actually dipping into the 'soil', they may well shrivel and die. Many, and I include myself here, slice off roots above the soil line with a scalpel flush to the caudex for a cleaner look, especially these thin ones as they don't usually fatten up...but obviously it's a matter of personal choice/preference. If you do snip those roots, there seems a lot more feeder roots towards the bottom so it shouldn't miss those top ones.
    The plant could also be lifted again at it's next re-pot to show off even more of the it's fat caudex as there's plenty more to come, but I wouldn't do that just yet as it's already had one shock.
    Gill UK

Edit....ha-ha, you were posting the pics as I was writing...great plants, well done!

This post was edited by greenclaws on Thu, Sep 25, 14 at 15:38

• jjbadenium
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Greenclaws:

They were only $10.95 (US) each.

Regarding the exposed roots above the soil, I decided to leave them for now. I'll let them grow until Spring and then probably raise the plants up some more and then cut off all the exposed roots.

• Marie Tran
    9 years ago

That was unbeatable price....
    It takes at least 4-5 years to get that big.

You got a deal.

Marie

• chuy415
    9 years ago

wow!!! beautiful & large in size... awesome to know!! thanks so much...
    I may even go today :)

Chuy

• kodom087 z9a
    9 years ago

Congrats! A couple of winters ago I saw some big ones at the Home Depot across the freeway from me for $30. I'm kicking myself for not getting one as the next day a hard freeze hit Houston and I'm sure they did nothing to protect them. It'd been perfect to do some grafts onto as it was very multi-branched like the one in your first picture.

Kirk

• jjbadenium
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kodom087:

I plan on using the first one with all the branches to do some grafting. There are 9 nice size branches and I'm thinking about grafting a different variety on each of them. Most likely I'll do cleft grafts which I've been successful in doing. I haven't had much luck with flat grafts.

Incidentally, back in July I happened to be at another Home Depot and found that they were clearing out their stock of adeniums in 6" pots. Upon closer look, all of them that they were discounting were grafted! That was a surprise. Although none were in flower at that time, I ended up buying six of them for $5.95 each. Upon repotting, I was pleased to note that they all had caudexes between 3" - 5". Amazing! One of them bloomed recently and it is the one in the picture. Two others have buds that appear yellowish at this point. It's kind of exciting not knowing exactly what flowers you are going to get.

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    9 years ago

ã6.74 each!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wow, I'm off to get me a plane ticket, I'm coming over!

Gill UK

• Kachana
    9 years ago

What a great find and bargain!!! Was just at my local HD here in North Texas, and not even an adenium was in sight, bargained or otherwise.

• Marie Tran
    9 years ago

I live very close to HD and Lowe's but never that lucky.

By the way, that is beautiful shade of red.

Marie

• Kachana
    9 years ago

Jjbadenium: what kind of soil do you use for your
    Adenium?

• jjbadenium
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kachana:

Check out what I wrote under "The Great Soil Debate." In a nutshell, here is what I use:

(1) One Brick of Coconut Coir (11 pounds)
    (2) One 8 quart bag of Perlite
    (3) Break up the Coir in a large bin and add water. Mix until it is nice and fluffy. Mix in the entire bag of Perlite. ThatâÂÂs it. ItâÂÂs ready to go.

Itran54:

I was surprised at the color also. Looking forward to the other one's blooming. By the way, I also got lucky at two Lowe's here in the area with some adeniums that were on their discount rack. They were also grafted, but have not bloomed. I'll post some pictures if/when they bloom.

• Kachana
    9 years ago

Thanks, jjbadenium. I'll look into that thread.