Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loveplants22

Did A Few Bare Rooting Of Trees Today...

Hello Everyone!!

My mother picked a few Adeniums up and wanted me to bareroot and pot up in Gritty for her.

I know I have shared this with you all before, but I thought as I was in the process, I would take a few pics for you guys !!

Here is a tree that needs repotting..

Sorry I have to add pics like this.. Photobucket isn't working well for me lately..

This post was edited by loveplants2 on Sat, Sep 14, 13 at 14:27

Comments (39)

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have three trees ready to bareroot

Here is one out of the pot. Getting ready for those hose down!!! ;-)

This post was edited by loveplants2 on Sat, Sep 14, 13 at 14:33

Original Author
    10 years ago

Hose ready to remove soil...

This post was edited by loveplants2 on Sat, Sep 14, 13 at 14:34

Original Author
    10 years ago

Nice and clean.. Free from the other soil.

This post was edited by loveplants2 on Sat, Sep 14, 13 at 14:35

Original Author
    10 years ago

Another...

This post was edited by loveplants2 on Sat, Sep 14, 13 at 14:36

Original Author
    10 years ago

All three ready to be repotted in Gritty Mix.

This post was edited by loveplants2 on Sat, Sep 14, 13 at 14:37

Original Author
    10 years ago

Containers ready with screen to protect the mix from coming out of the drainage hole.. But will allow proper drainage.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Screened Turface...

Original Author
    10 years ago

Gritty Mix ready...

Original Author
    10 years ago

Measured to see how high I wanted the tree to sit in the container...

This post was edited by loveplants2 on Sat, Sep 14, 13 at 14:39

Original Author
    10 years ago

Potted up in the Gritty Mix!!

This post was edited by loveplants2 on Mon, Sep 16, 13 at 18:03

Original Author
    10 years ago

Another..

This post was edited by loveplants2 on Sat, Sep 14, 13 at 14:41

Original Author
    10 years ago

The final three trees watered and will be moved to the shade to acclimate themselves. I will bring them out into the full sun in a week or so.

Wanted to show some who have never tried to bareroot. It is very easy and these trees are very tough...

Hope you all are having a great holiday!!

Take care,

Laura

This post was edited by loveplants2 on Sat, Sep 14, 13 at 14:42

• kodom087 z9a
    10 years ago

Great photos! Your mom picked out some great specimens with awesome shapes.

Kirk

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    10 years ago

Laura,
    That is very kind of you to do this for your mother. Is she just as addicted to these as you are or are you hoping to convert her.
    Nice plants and good choices for interesting caudex's.

Good to post repeat of potting up. Will catch someone that does not look back or is unable.
    Rick

• maark23 TX/8a
    10 years ago

Wow! Those are some very impressive roots! I'm sure your mom will want more once she sees those roots!

The first pic of the plants(11th pic), finally in the mix reminds me of some Star Wars character. I can't remember the name.

• Marie Tran
    10 years ago

Wow....those are great looking plants Laura.
    Gritty mix is ideal mix for DR.
    Marie

• chuy415
    10 years ago

Thank you Laura for taking the time to show us :-). Too sweet!! The more I see the pics the more I am falling for these beauties!! So interesting in their own way! Thanks again for sharing.

Chuy

Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Everyone!!!

Hi Kirk!!

Thank you... I will admit, I was with her when we picked them out. I picked them because of the " unique " caudexs!!! She will end up with one and I will keep the one that looks like the muscle man!!! It has a nice color to the bloom!!! The other one will go to my sister in law since she spotted my large DR with the ball shaped belly. Se asked if she could have that one!! I gasped and said.. " that's like giving away one of my kids..." LOL!!! So I had to find her one quickly... ;-)

Hi Rick!!! Thank you!! ... Mom loves these as well as my Plumeria, but doesn't have the space for them in her condo. She has a small terrace so she is limited. That is why I wanted to find her one that looks interesting...

I really appreciate you addressing the thread as far as helping others with the barerooting process . We all remember when we were new and I just wanted to show how easy it is. We all worry when we don't have something to actually see. I hope this helps someone!!!!

Hi Mark!! Thank You!!! I also thought each one had a different look!! Lol. I had to chuckle at one of them... I can't remember the character either, but I can see what you are talking about!!!

Nicole... If you are reading this, I will be working on one to go along with your other pic that you sent to me!!! LMMAO!!! I plan to send you a pic soon!!!

I was just showing the pic of the " couple" to one of my friends.. They loved it!!! ;-)

Hi Marie!! Mahalo!! All of my trees are in the Gritty Mix and they love it. Everyone has a different opinion, but a good fast draining mix makes a healthy tree!!!

YOU have some real beauties!

Hi Chuy!! They really are impressive with their root structure and all have different characteristics !! They seem to have their own personalities, like my girl with " junk in her trunk". LOL. Plus, they are easy to take care of too! That makes it so much fun!!!!

Thanks.. I always like to help out people.. I had some real nice people help me when I first started. So I like to " pay it forward..."

Always nice to see you !!!

Have a great day!!!

Laura

This post was edited by loveplants2 on Sat, Sep 14, 13 at 14:43

Original Author
    10 years ago

This is the one my sister in law wanted.. I thought I was going to choke when she asked.. The funny part was.. She was serious!!!!

OMG!!!

Take care,

Laura

This post was edited by loveplants2 on Mon, Sep 16, 13 at 10:53

• nativec
    10 years ago

Laura- It took you to get me on the adenium forum...LOL. I owe you an email :). All the adeniums are gorgeous! I like "the man". Not offensive at all, funny as hell? Yes! LOL. So glad you shared them. I'll get working on your email.... :)

XO
    Nicole

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    10 years ago

Nice!

Quick tip: take all of your photos in landscape mode with the bottom of your camera to the right and you will never have orientation issues.

Carol in Jacksonville

Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Nicole.

I can't wait!! Lol.

Xo

Hi Carol ,

I usually take my pics with my regular camera but this time I used my iPad.

So sorry for them not bring properly upright!!!

Thanks!!

Laura

Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry everyone.

When I look at it on m iPad it looks fine.

Then , when I checked from my cell they are sideways... Sheesh!

If I can't fix, I'll delete.

Laura

• haworthia
    10 years ago

Laura,
    Your plants looks gorgeous. Great job.! They are healthy and beautiful. thanks for sharing them with us

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    10 years ago

Laura very nice plants. What kind of nursery did you get them from please? Paula

I would like to jump off the balcony into the pool.

• kodom087 z9a
    10 years ago

Yeah, I wouldn't give that one away either. It looks like a cute Buddha belly!

Kirk

• ladylotus
    10 years ago

Laura,

Your plants are gorgeous and the step by step photos provide a wonderful education for those that are beginning and wondering how they should pot up their adeniums.

I would have choked too if someone asked me for a beautiful adenium like yours.

The caudex on the newly purchased plants ARE gorgeous. That is the first thing I would look for too and bloom color would be my second option.

Great finds!

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    10 years ago

Landscape mode with bottom of phone, iPad, whatever, to the right. :)

Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Haworthia!!!

Thank you so much!!! I love to grow these beauties!!! The have so much personality!!! Hope to see you soon!!! I repotted the others for you...

Hi Paula!!! Thank you!! I bought these at the Home Depot in Virginia Beach.
    The other day, in NC. I found some on the sale rack for 7 dollars.. I bought a couple to replace the ones that I'm giving to my sister in law. Lol. I'm keeping the " little man" and the other that looks like a mass of twisted roots...

You can jump off the balcony anytime you want!!! ;-)

I can rept them fast and they will never know.. Lol. I have grown to like the Caudex on those three. Lol. I'm so bad... ;-)

Hi Kirk!! I couldn't believe she really wanted that one.. I thought she was kidding, but she wasn't lol. When she comes over, I might have to hide it!!!

It reminds me of a BB or one of the Mandrakes from Harry Potter.. One member named him that!!!

Hi Lady.. Lol. I hear you!! I have grown to love them too.. That is why I found the others to replace them to give away... ;-). Like I mentioned to Kirk.. I will have to keep an eye on her when she visits!!! Check her trunk!!

Lol...

Hi Love the yard.. Thank you for the pointers.. This iPad is different and I will play with it to make sure I have it down. I understand what you mean, but I don't trust it yet to post. I'm out on a trip, so when I get home.. I'll try again!!

Rick.. I also repotted some of yours.. I'll get them out soon!!! ;-)

Thanks!!

Take care everyone!!

Laura

• Mykel02
    10 years ago

Wow your adeniums look great... :-)

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    10 years ago

Laura how funny. My friend had a birthday recently and HD had some great adeniums. I picked her up one almost 2 weeks before her bday. I looked at it every time I went in and out the front door. 3 plants later I finally gave her the one I got on the way to her house. I love birthdays! Paula

Original Author
    10 years ago

Hello Everyone..

I wanted to finally fix these pics that were causing so many neck issues!!

Lol.. So, sorry!!!

This iPad makes anything look good when you take a pic, then when you view it from cell or other computer.. Yikes!!!

Love the yard... It is the camera position in the upper top left!! ;-)

Tried it out and went and tested with this iPad and then looked on cell.

What a pain in the XXX. ;-). But, at least I won't cause you all to take meds for all of the sore necks !!!

Thanks for being so understanding.. If it wasn't for a few who told me, I would have never known.

Mahalo!!

Have a great day...

Laura

• Need2SeeGreen 10 (SoCal)
    10 years ago

Wow!!!!

I've never seen those before. Stunning. And sooo cute.

So, does that one with the pretty flowers have a name, or do you only buy them when they are blooming? It is such a beautiful color.

Original Author
    10 years ago

N2SG...

Thank you!!! The big boys are Noids.. ( no ids. No names) I don't have any names for my big plants.. The other ones from Thailand and Taiwan are named varieties.

All of my trees were bought when they were not blooming. The typical ones we find locally ( pink) were bought here at Lowes and or Home Depot . ( Noids)

My other colored trees came from Thailand and Taiwan... We try and pick the colors that are supposed to be true, but sometimes you get a surprise.

I have been lucky with my orders from other countries. They have been true to color and very healthy.

Thank you for the kind compliments... That big boy is about 15 -20 years old.

Have a great night!!

Laura

This post was edited by loveplants2 on Sun, Sep 22, 13 at 18:40

Original Author
    10 years ago

Gill.. I forgot to mention the seed pods will be offered to those interested..

I will make a post when they are ready.

( Gill... If you want some of the crazy one.. ,you can have some!!)

Take care,

Laura

• camellia1_gw
    10 years ago

Great info! Thanks!

I will definitely look at my DR differently now. I've had one for a few years but my caudex is just plain. I bought it at Lowe's or HD one year because I thought the flowers were pretty. Maybe it's still a baby? The caudex ooks a little tad bigger than the main trunk.

• ginger9899
    10 years ago

Have you repotted it lately Camellia? You may have a surprise (more interesting big roots) under the soil waiting for you :)

-Heatherl

Original Author
    10 years ago

Great advice, Heather..

Camellia... I see you are in a zone 7... Repotting can be done if you want, but I would probably wait until spring. You can always peek and see.. I'm sure the rootball will slip right out. Take a look and see!! ;-). If you feel comfortable, you could take some of the upper soil off instead of a bareroot at this time of the year and raise the Caudex.

I'm in a zone 8 and I'm getting ready to receive some barerooted DR's. so it is possible to do a full bareroot. But , only if you are comfortable!!!

Let us know what you find.. I love those surprises!!!

Glad you enjoyed the pics...

Take care,

Laura

• camellia1_gw
    10 years ago

Thanks Laura and Heather! I was wondering if I should do that and thought I should wait for spring, too.

I went looking for the supplies for the gritty mix yesterday and was so excited to find Turface about 40 miles from me. I have all but the gypsum and bark. So, I figured that I would wait until spring to be safe while I look for bark.

Laura, is your sifter working well for you? I believe I read that it should be a little smaller. I found your colander and wanted to make sure before buying it.