Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karmaticflow

Help!!!! Not Sure What Happened?

Karmaticflow
10 years ago

I moved my seedling to a different spot in my back yard trying to get them a little more direct sun. In a matter of three days this is what happened. I've moved into to shaded spot now. But I'm not what happened to them. If I had to guess they a extremely sunburned. Can they be Salvaged or are they compost.

Thanks for taking the time to read and reply,
JR

Comments (18)

• Marie Tran
    10 years ago

JR, I don't know what happened, but normally DR likes full sun. I hope you can save them.
    Marie

• chuy415
    10 years ago

JR- I truly hope they survive! I too have some seedlings but get afternoon sun- only about 3 1/2 hours. I was actually thinking of moving them to get about 2 additional hours of direct sun- but now that I see what happened to yours - I will wait.
    I'm pretty sure since you moved them back to shade they'll be ok ;-)

Chuy

• Pagan
    10 years ago

Hi KF.

I've burned a few seedlings too so the first thing you should know is not to worry, they recover if it is sunburn. But I am not entirely convinced your seedlings are suffering from burn, The leaves in mine blanched at the end of the day, turned brown and were actually crispy when they fell. The leaves on yours, from this shot at least, look quite healthy.

Post a closer shot for better diagnosis by our mentors? Especially the trunk where the problem seems to be (again, based only on what I can see in the picture).

Pagan

• Karmaticflow
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a picture of the worst plant. The reason I say sunburned is due to the fact there is a window very close and they got full sun and then the reflection from the glass also. When I get home from work. I will take and post more pictures.

Thanks and again for reading and replying,
    JR.

This post was edited by Karmaticflow on Thu, Sep 19, 13 at 7:13

• Karmaticflow
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have got to quit double posting. My phone is killing me.

Thanks and again for reading and replying,
    JR.

{{!gwi}}

This post was edited by Karmaticflow on Thu, Sep 19, 13 at 7:16

• Pagan
    10 years ago

Yo Kirk! Where you be? Didn't this happen to some of your seedlings? Something to do with collars and what-not.

• kodom087 z9a
    10 years ago

I have no idea what this could be. the two of mine happened right at the soil line. What caused me to notice was that they started leaning. Though I could not see any entry points I'm almost convinced that it was some sort of parasite. Or just some fluke rotting episode. I ended up cutting just above the spot on the bigger one, let it heal a couple of days and am currently trying to root it. That smaller one I tried to graft but it didn't make it.

I hope someone with a more experienced eye can help you. I'm clueless but this looks similar to what mine looked like. I'll link my thread for comparison.

Kirk

Here is a link that might be useful: Arabicum Seedling Issues

• Karmaticflow
    Original Author
    10 years ago

First let me apologize. I've tried but never have been able to post multiple pictures to a post.

But, Here is a picture of the worst one. This one is still firm at the base. It is the only seedling I decided not to cut back due to fact it had already started to branch. The leaves look good. Overall looks and feels healthy.

• Karmaticflow
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The next most damaged. This plants has a soft caudex. The leaves look good.

• Karmaticflow
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just like the last. Soft caudex but leaves look good.

• Karmaticflow
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This plant has a nice solid caudex and the leaves look good. Same as the first over all looks and feels good.

• Karmaticflow
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This last and final one. This plant just had some yellowing of the caudex skin. That spot is a little soft. Bust other than that overall looks and feels good. This was the last seedling I decided to cut back.

I'm almost positive that the last two are salvageable. It's the first three I'm really worried about. When I found them I was screaming mad. I'm surprised none of you saw the explosion from where you live. These are my first set of seedlings and it happened in a matter of three days. Oooh yeah and I had looked at them the night before. I guess just not close enough and it was dark and I was tired. But those are just excuses. Yeah I'm still kinda upset. I'm determined to recover as many as possible. I realized that if I can get them back it just adds an interesting character to the plant. My goal was 1 out of 10 when I got them. But I've done so well with them. I changed that goal to 10 of 10.

I probably should add the first four were reported this past weekend and the last one was repotted the weekend before and I watered them yesterday after finding them due to the fact they were bone dry. Root rot really never crossed my mind since they were bone dry.

Sorry for the multiple posts and thanks again for taking the time to read and reply to my posts.

• ginger9899
    10 years ago

Karmaticflow I can't help but I feel for you. My only thoughts are spontaneous rot or some kind of boo boo on the caudex. I only say this because I had a plant (purchased adult) that was solid and good as gold one minute and within a week had extensive caudex and branch rot. I was positive I didn't do anything wrong with potting or watering to cause this, and went over the roots with a magnifying glass and they were just fine, even afterwards. Also, the pics of the ones sunken and thin at that spot look just like something that just happened to a tall skinny main branch of a young adenium of mine. That was the result of a very minor superficial caudex scrape that got water in it.

I'm really sorry, they are such cute fat young ones, too. I hope you can save them.

-Heather

• maark23 TX/8a
    10 years ago

That happened to one of mine also. I think it had something to do with not watering enough, but I can't be to sure. I will take a pic and post it if you like.

Mark

• Karmaticflow
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all for replying to my post and feel free to post any pictures of your own with similar issues. I would love to compare plants and damage. It looks like the damage has slowed since I have moved them. Hoping that is enough. I'm going to slow the watering and monitor closely.

I will post updates as they occur.

Thanks again for taking to the time to read and reply,
    JR

• Karmaticflow
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks again for taking to the time to read and reply,
    JR

This post was edited by Karmaticflow on Thu, Sep 19, 13 at 23:54

• Karmaticflow
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm hoping new growth means that whatever it was; has gone away. Here are some picture of the six that have new growth.

{{gwi:352409}}

{{gwi:352410}}

{{gwi:352411}}

{{gwi:352412}}

{{gwi:352413}}

{{gwi:352414}}

And by the way I finally figured out how to post multiple pix to single posts.

JR

• ginger9899
    10 years ago

New growth is encouraging JR. I sure hope the bad spots don't give you more trouble later. Does it look like they are spreading at all and are the caudexes still soft?

-Heather

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz