Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jjbadenium

Albino Adenium Seedlings?

jjbadenium
9 years ago

I have over 500 seedlings currently growing in the greenhouse that are between 1 - 2 weeks old. Upon a closer look today, I noticed that several have a different coloration than the normal green. They appear to be yellowish/white (possibly albinos?). I've not seen this coloration before in seedlings. There are three pictures that follow. Picture 1 is the four flats with the seedlings. Pictures 2 and 3 are some closeups. Hopefully they will all survive.

When the rest of the seedlings get older, I'll probably end up giving most of them away. I've got another bunch of seed pods on plants that will probably yield another 500 or so seeds. That's on top of the two pods I picked yesterday that have yielded another 150 or so seeds.

Comments (28)

• jjbadenium
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Picture 2

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    9 years ago

Congrats on all those babies! We have yet to see a true albino seedling that thrives...unless someone can prove me wrong that is!! They seem to grow a few more sets of leaves and then decline as without any green at all, unlike variegated plants which would grow, they just simply cannot photosynthesise and survive. Several of us have seen albinos in our seed mixes so I guess with so many youngsters like you have sprouted, the odds on getting some are increased vastly.
    If you are thinking of giving/selling your excess plants it may be easier to give/send seeds rather than seedlings, just a thought! :)

Gill UK

This post was edited by greenclaws on Mon, Sep 22, 14 at 17:23

• Marie Tran
    9 years ago

Holy cow...that is plenty of seedlings.
    Good luck to you, I hope those grow fast and strong for you.
    Marie

• somalenese
    9 years ago

hello everyone
    as Gill already said it's difficult for albinos to survive on their own
    but you can do a seedling graft on a normal rootstock once 2- 3 set's of true leaves appear
    I haven't got a chance still
    you have a huge no.
    congratulations

anurag

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    9 years ago

That would be a neat thing to try, Anurag. Will remember this when I get another one. The majority do not make it. Variegated more likely, so what would you have to lose.
    Rick

• jasonwipf
    9 years ago

no those aren't albino they have some chlorophyll. This is an albino.

• Pagat Adenium
    7 years ago

Here you go "the albino seedling"

i will post more when my 2,000 seedlings sprouted

• Pagat Adenium
    7 years ago

Another baby one...the seed was fat and much smaller than the regular ones as you can see it at lower second row third from the right.

• Maria Elena (Caribbean - USDA Zone 13a)
    7 years ago

Here's my albino. It lasted two weeks, its two yellow baby leaves withered today. Poor guy never had a chance.

I wish I'd seen this post last week ... I would've grafted.

• jedobaTX9b
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I have one now that is completely white, and another that is very light green. The light green one put out a set of very small, almost translucent light green leaves.

I had another like this last year, and it hung on for months.

The completely white one is doomed, and has not grown at all.

7 years ago

Did any of the posted seedlings from 2014 survive? Very curious to see what they look like now.

• tan808
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Hi Pagat and Jedoba, if I have an albino, I would slice and bind it to a healthy seedling, would be interesting to see how such a grafted twins grow into (if they survive).

• thezombies
    7 years ago

Yeah, there are two primary ways of albinos surviving. Either you graft them onto a healthy plant, or you put it in with an established plant with a microbial network.

The albino seedling might be able to suck nutrients from the healthy plant through the network or feed on the network itself. This is how albino plants survive in the wild.

• Ben
    6 years ago

Hello guys.

All of my new Adenium seedlings (about 3 weeks old) looks normal, except one. Made a search and found this topic about albinos. As far as I can see/read all albinos are completely white/pink'ish, but mine seems to have a normal stem and cotyledons, only the growth above seems to be without the green pigment.

How is that even possible ?

Any thoughts ?

• jedobaTX9b
    6 years ago

Wow! I can't wait to see what happens!

• jedobaTX9b
    6 years ago

I suspect this one is variegated.

• Ben
    6 years ago

Thanks for your input, jedobaTX9b.

Do you really think it's variegated, even though the difference between top and buttom is so distinct ? I mean, the top really looks like a albino, and not just pale or different.. (BTW; the seedling next to it, is from the same seedpod).

• jedobaTX9b
    6 years ago

I only say it because it started green, and if you look closely, it has some green still in the leaves.

• Ben
    6 years ago

Ah, yes you're right. I didn't notice till now.

• SoCal Stewart (San Diego, Ca Zone 10A/10B)
    6 years ago

This whole "mixed bag" out of the same seed pod possibility is what makes Adenium growing so exciting and interesting. It's kind of a gamble. You never know what to expect or what may happen. Very cool, but can also be a bit of a let down if you've waited for a flower only to find it's pretty basic in its appearance. Luck of the draw.

Tyler

• rikki_t
    6 years ago

Just asking out of curiosity, but if you sliced a little off of the side of each one, put them together touching and bound them with tape, would they graft into each other, letting the albino feed off of the green one? It would be interesting to see a bi-colored adenium plant. I'm buying some seeds next year, so I almost hope I'll get an albino so I can try this.

• Sara Sidwell
    6 years ago

I can't find any adenium where I live, I'd love to buy a couple little guys,will pay shipping and good money for them(just regular ones;) anyone have extra to sell ..I just bought 2 on amazon and they both arrived with rot:( hence the thread I just started)I need a reliable person to buy from..I want one so bad.. that doesn't have rot lol

• katiedolittle
    6 years ago

Hi Sara do you have a address in the U.S.? You will need one to to get plants from here if so pm me your email address I have seeds and a few plants I have some seeds pods that should open soon that you can have just pay for shipping but they are pink and white

roger

• Sara Sidwell
    6 years ago

Hi Rodger..thank you for your kindness and I do have a US address..I am new to the site and don't know how to PM you but my email is sarasgreenthumb@gmail.com .. id love to talk about purchasing some from you, that would be amazing..at work for tonight(just incase I'm to busy to check my email, but I will definitely respond :) I can also give you my cell # as text is so easy..even easier than email for me lol(but ether way is good. (705) 5421438

• Sara Sidwell
    6 years ago

Oops Roger*

6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I agree with Jerry. The seedling shown is variegated. All white leaves are not good ... I recommend moving it out of direct sunlight so it can make some green. You will then see it's true nature. Congrats!!

Sara, to message a user, click on their name.

• Sara Sidwell
    6 years ago

Thanks Maria for the help(as always) but it still won't give me the option lol and I even made sure the option was on in my settings on my profile page, mabee cuz I'm on a cell? Huh I dunno..but I got in touch with Roger and he's so kind!! And sold me the most gorgeous plants ..I'm so blessed:)

Sponsored
Craftsman Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Home Builder 3x Best of Houzz Award Winner