Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sbrow156

leaves, flowers and buds dropping and furry leaves?

sbrow156
11 years ago

Hi everyone so ive had my new desert rose for a week and a bit now and for some reason leaves are beginning to get light in colour and drop off and the flowers are slowly dying and dropping off and even buds are. I dont know if its reacting to being repotted? or maybe it wasnt getting enough sun (it was in a very shady area) so i moved it into a more sunny spot 2 days ago but yesterday i realised that the leaves actually feel furry and if u look real closely its almost a white sort of fur. I thought it may be some kind of mould so i ran my find along it on one of the leaves expecting it to come off. It didnt? Im so confused. What could be wrong with my desert rose?

Comments (19)

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    11 years ago

I would think that if you have repotted it while in flower or bud could be an issue with bud drop. Also, moving it from a shady site to a sunny spot, if done too quickly could also effect the plant.
    As for the leaf (white stuff), I would see about posting a photo for the experienced people on this site to see. Would help a lot.

• sbrow156
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I just went out this morning and one of the leaves had curled up all funny like...all bumpy and shriveled looking but not dry ...still nice and green :/ ill take a pic tonight when i get home from work ...dono if ull be able to see the white furry stuff but ill try...and ill show the curled up leaves too :S

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    11 years ago

A photo would be good. You may have mealy bugs. Will need to treat if it does.

• johnsonm08
    11 years ago

Is the furry part the complete underside of the leaf? If so thats normal. Pics are good to see!
    Mike

• sbrow156
    Original Author
    11 years ago

no its the top of the leaf as well...feels completely different to my other desert rose leaves :/ will upload a pic in an hour or two...still at work at the moment... :)

• sbrow156
    Original Author
    11 years ago

heres the pics...this one is of the leaves that have fallen off and discoloured...and a wierd curled up one still on the plant....

• sbrow156
    Original Author
    11 years ago

heres the wierd white furry stuff on the leaves...it doesnt come off when i rub it...wierd :/

• sbrow156
    Original Author
    11 years ago

and heres some little leaves at the top with spots on them......so yeh what do u guys recon it is? :S

• karyn1
    11 years ago

I'd guess the leaf and bud drop is due to transplant/climatic change stresses. You don't want it in sun right now. Keep it in bright filtered light until it has a chance to aclimate. Not sure if those spots are chlorosis or some type of infestation. Maybe give it a good wipe down with some wet cotton balls, just water and see what happens. I wouldn't worry if the leaves and buds continue dropping as long as the stems remain firm. You are going into summer now, correct? I'd also hold off on giving it any fertilizer for at least another 2 weeks but if you have some type of micronutrient containing B1 add that to the water. I don't think it looks bad.

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    11 years ago

The last photo of the leaf showing the white flecks on it looks similar to a insect issue (whitefly, mites), the white colored would not be a furry feeling substance.
    I would do as karyn has suggested and monitor it.
    Generally, transplanting and change in conditions can effect the plant while in flower.

• sbrow156
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes we are going into summer so it is very hot during the day and will probably start going into the wet season in the next few months ... I will wipe down with some water as suggested. I am definitely checking it each day... Hoping ur right and it's just due to climate and transplant change

• johnsonm08
    11 years ago

The furry looks like powdery mildew maybe?
    The spotted one spider mites.
    I would just add that I wouldn't water it for a couple of weeks in case there is some root damage.
    Mike

• karyn1
    11 years ago

I definitely don't think it's powdery mildew, maybe mites.

• karyn1
    11 years ago

I definitely don't think it's powdery mildew, maybe mites.

• sbrow156
    Original Author
    11 years ago

yes the white spotty ones at the top arent furry. I wiped down the leaves this morning as suggested. Anything i can do if it is mites? there was a spider on it wen i bought it but i flicked it off and its gone now.

• karyn1
    11 years ago

I actually encourage spiders to reside in my plants, outside, of course. lol They eat a lot of the unwanted pests. Spider mites can be difficult, if not impossible to see with the naked eye. If it does turn out to be mites I would treat the plant with a miticide, not a broad spectrum pesticide. There's some very good mite specific pesticides sold here called Forbid and Fluromite. I don't know if they are available in Australia but I'm sure others are.

• yumtomatoes
    11 years ago

I would spray with neem oil. Neem oil is good for controlling fungus, mites, and insects and is bee friendly. Just don't spray during the day if the plants are in the sun. It can scorch the leaves.

• sbrow156
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hmmm so i havnt done anything to it yet but the buds leaves and flowers seemed to have stopped dropping...it was originally in the shade and i put it out in a place that gets half a day of sun about a week ago and i think thats what seems to have helped it. The flowers have faded in the sun though and dont look as deep pink :( which is alittle disappointing i guess...The leaves still have that white furry stuff on them though so i might wipe them down again but it is looking alot healthier. The leaves with the dots on them that you guys though might be mites fell off and no more seem to look like that...maybe i am in the clear? will keep a eye on it still but...

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    11 years ago

Glad to hear that the Adenium is doing better.
    They do definitely love the sun, but changes in conditions (transplanting,
    Moving to different light situations too quickly) can create noticeable effects on the plant. They can and do recover.
    Good for you.

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996