Return to the Adenium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My Favorite Desert Rose Flower

Posted by yumtomatoes 10a/FLA (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 19, 12 at 20:15

This plant's flowers are beautiful and they don't fade for days on end. She is a beauty! Hope you like her, too.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My Favorite Desert Rose Flower

What a nice deep red color and I like the contrasting white throat.

o

Very pretty! Was this a random seedling from a pink adenium or did you intentionally breed for red flowers?

o

absolutely gorjusssssss!!!!!!

o

Thank you! I can't take credit for this one. I bought it at a plant show. From what the vendor said she was a grafted plant.

Here is a picture of the entire plant. She doesn't look so good right now because she was attacked by about 25 oleander caterpillars and they did quite a bit of damage before I noticed and was able to intervene to save some of her leaves. They can eat every leaf on a plant like this in about a day if you don't notice them.

o

Very pretty indeed. The white throat makes her look even more beautiful. Congrats to you Yumtomatoes.

Marie

o

WOW! now thats what i call RED! :D beautiful flowers on a beautiful plant...u lucky duck u ...was it expensive from the plant show?

o

Really nice, def. a "true red" vs. pink that looks red.

I have noticed that the little crawly things love these plants for some reason. A couple of times every year I notice that a team of tiny little crawling things are after mine. Usually, they are yellow. I don't know what they are- have never bothered to find out, but I know how they die... suffocation in insecticidal soap.

o

Thanks!

sbrow - down here they sell the seedlings for $15 and the grafted plants for $25 typically when they are small plants. Larger plants cost more. I can buy the smaller plants since in this climate they grow fast.

irun5k - the oleander caterpillars are orange and have black hairs sticking out of them. Very characteristic. See the link. When they are younger, they don't have the black hairs but they are definitely orange.

Here is a link that might be useful: Oleander Caterpillar Pic

o
Oleander Moth

Link below shows you the polka-dotted moth that lays the eggs that hatch the caterpillars who eat my desert roses!

Here is a link that might be useful: Oleander Moth Pic

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Adenium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here