Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rcharles_gw

True Socotranum Seedlngs

These are my True Socotranum Seedlings started on Sept 10, 2013.
Do not look like to much or any different than most other adeniums seedlings.
Will be interesting to watch to see growth of them.
Rick
{{gwi:352525}}

Comments (27)

• ginger9899
    10 years ago

Cute! It'll be interesting to see how different they become as they develope more.

-Heather

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    10 years ago

They are very cute and they look real shiny and healthy. What are the traits that Socotranum adeniums have? Paula

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I understand that they are very slow growers and many graft them onto Arabicum root stock and possibly obesum. I assume to have a larger plant sooner.
    The seedlings I have seen have been growing fairly tall and base enlarging over time having a tubular/missile shape.
    They are new to me. Was fortunate enough to have them made available.
    Rick

• kodom087 z9a
    10 years ago

Those are so cute! And I see two tiny ones popping out as late sprouts. LOL

Kirk

• 11otis
    10 years ago

They're doing pretty good for 2.5 weeks Richard. Just as Paula said, really healthy looking.
    What size of cell/pot do you have them in? And at what age are you planning to transplant them in a 1 on 1?
    I have mine as a foursome in the 1ý x 2" cells (48 cells/tray) some as 3-some. And now I am worried about tangled roots, or shouldn't I be? That's for the obesums. The arabicums I have as a 3-some due to bigger seeds. I wish I could tell which side of the seed is the root side and I can position them better in the cells.

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have them sown in a 4" pot and these will most likely stay in this pot until early next spring. I used to plant up into individual 2" pots, but I found that the because the 4" pots are deeper, that when I transplanted out they had far more roots and their roots also longer going deeper into pot (looking for water is my thought). Seemed to have a more extensive amount of white fine feeder roots.
    I have had twenty in one of these pots and have not had an issue with tangled roots. With the soil being so loose, it just falls away and just lightly tease the roots apart.
    I had seen something quite some time ago about root end of seed and cotyledon end. I believe you would have to have the pod from flower. It showed the root end being all facing in the direction of the stem or tip of seed pod? Not sure.
    Rick

• 11otis
    10 years ago

Rick: Thanks for the info.
    Yes, I saw that picture too on one of the DR seed seller's site, don't remember which one. You have to mark the one end while they're still in the pod. I guess it is difficult to see once they're out of the pod.
    O.

• Pagan
    10 years ago

Perfect seedlings, Rick! Something about that reminds me of the Pine Barrens in the winter. Do you have an adult socotranum plant?

pagan

• Marie Tran
    10 years ago

Rich, they are looking great. Beautiful and happy.
    Marie

• johnsonm08
    10 years ago

I just took a pic of these, to ask for an opinion, and there was already a thread....
    I got these as true socos too. The leaves have a bronzish color that I havent seen in my other seedlings. planted about 7/20/13
    Mike

This post was edited by johnsonm08 on Mon, Sep 30, 13 at 19:55

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Those are nice looking seedlings Mike.
    It would be nice if you could send that photo through to Ken Wall in Florida, as he is the one that my seeds came from and he had asked us to watch for certain things. My memory has failed me at this moment as to what they where.
    I will see if I can get his email for you.
    Super seedlings though.
    I have no idea as to what they should look like?
    Rick

• johnsonm08
    10 years ago

Rick-Thanks, feel free to PM me if you dont want to post it here.
    Or it would be fine with me to just forward the pic to him too.
    Mike

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My True Socotranum seedlings to date.
    Last photo at top of page show them on Sept 29,2013 at
    19 days.
    Today they are 60days (2mths).
    Just an updated for those interested.
    Rick

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another Photo of True Socotranum Seedlings
    Rick

• ginger9899
    10 years ago

Wow they are neat. So interesting to see the differences between those and obesum seedlings. It'll be real interesting to see how they progress.

-Heather

• 11otis
    10 years ago

Real nice and plump Rick.
    Is the mix like the top, through-out the entire pot?
    O.

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Otis & Heather,
    No, the top is a grit or called Forestry Sand that I use on any of the perennial seeds that I start. Keeps the soil surface from drying out.
    Will interesting to see how they grow, other than slowly.
    Rick

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    10 years ago

Hi guys and gals, here's the link to the 'how to decide which is the root part of a DR seedling puzzle', but as you rightly say, you need to see them in th epod. Funnily enough I was reading this page yesterday...I'm not aware of any other method. Well, perhaps, if you strip the seed coat off, you may be able to see some minor differences...but I've never noticed on the few seeds that have not had 'wrappers' on. Perhaps under a magnifying glass maybe it would be possible, but then you would have to know what you are looking for...a head or a foot maybe? lol! A slight fold I would guess to be the immature cotyledons?? I'm clutching at straws here.
    Gill UK

Here is a link that might be useful: which end is which picture

• parodise
    10 years ago

Rick,
    your seedlings have grown so beautifully and evenly! What was your germination rate with them? At what temp do you keep them? Are they supposed to get any fertilizer yet?
    Lena

• ladylotus
    10 years ago

Rick,
    Your seedlings are so stout and healthy looking, nice job growing them on. You know for sure yours are true Socotranum seeds? Is there a place online that anyone can buy some seeds?

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lena,
    The germination rate on these was about 90%. I had them on a heat mat and inside a mini propagator to keep relative humidity high.
    They startes to heave the soil 4-5 days after planting. I believe that part of it was that the seeds where relatively fresh.
    They reside now next to a window (south facing) and under grow lights (on for 6hrs/day) and no bottom heat.
    Air temperature in room around 60F min. Higher when the sun is coming in.

Ladylotus,
    I got them on a group buy through an Adenium group (Australia) that I have frequented for quite some time. They are from a gentleman in Florida and respected highly by Adenium growers.
    I am always reluctant to give an affirmative answer as to the geniuness of seeds, but I know that he has them himself and I trust the gentleman that offered them.
    I am not sure where you can buy them? Have seen on eBay for an crazy price and them I would be dubious about their true parentage.
    If I should hear of them again, I will definitely let you know and I will send a note off to a mutual acquaintance that is friends with this gentleman.
    Rick

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    10 years ago

They look fantastic fatties Rick, so fat they look fitt to burst! Just be wary that one could well end up looking like this!
    Gill UK

{{gwi:351072}}

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    10 years ago

Sorry, double posting, my laptop froze.
    Gill UK

This post was edited by greenclaws on Tue, Nov 12, 13 at 16:16

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    10 years ago

Good grief, a triple post ! Sorry guys :(
    Gill UK

This post was edited by greenclaws on Tue, Nov 12, 13 at 17:54

• pachypode
    10 years ago

Rick, your doing a fantastic job with your socos,which look great. They are really plumping up nicely.

• User
    8 years ago

Rick, I am curious. ;-) Are your Adenium socotranum seedlings thriving?