Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loveplants22

Crazy Seed Pod

Hello Everyone!!

Wanted to share a seed pod that is curling backwards and is growing very strange. All of the other pods are straight , but this one is growing backwards and around.

Remids me of someone's fingernails growing out of control...curling around and under.

Strange.

Here is a pic of the pod and some of the tree itself.

Laura

This post was edited by loveplants2 on Tue, Sep 17, 13 at 21:45

Comments (28)

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is the tree...

Laura

Original Author
    10 years ago

I have only one bloom on this baby...

Laura

• kodom087 z9a
    10 years ago

LOL The reference to the fingernails made me think of some of the pictures I've seen of what you're talking about. And the toenails. *gag*

Kirk

• Marie Tran
    10 years ago

It does look like fingernails. When my brother and I first came to USA. We didn't know about fake fingernails, so when we were in the store and we saw one lady with long fingernails.....our jaws were totally drop.......later that day, we found out people here with fake eyelashes also.....We couldn't stop laughing.

Well, that was 34 years ago.
    Marie

• chuy415
    10 years ago

Laura- amazing how that pod is growing! Very odd but cool too :-)
    Love the tree. So healthy looking.

Chuy

Original Author
    10 years ago

LOL..

I am glad you all can see what I am talking about. It starts at the right lower side of the pod and is growing up and around.

The first time I saw a natural nail growing like that on someone I just thought. " ewwww" How can you possibly do anything.. I love nails, but when they grow up and over and sideways it is to much for me. I can hardly type well with small ones!! ;-)

Kirk.. I haven't seen the toenails.. EEeeeKKK!

Marie. I bet you both did have a good laugh. "lots" of fake things here in the US... LOL!!!

I personally like things natural.. ;-)

Hi Chuy!! Thank you!! It is from Ken Wall and it is labeled Tropicolor Mini. I believe it is a Montrose.

It is very heathly and growing like crazy.. those nails are loving something!!! LMAO!!

Have a great day!!

Laura

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    10 years ago

Hi Laura, long curly finger and toenails, yuk! It does look a bit creepy, I have to agree. Are you going to sow the seeds when they ripen?
    Now what on earth is going on with the fat bellied guy in the right foreground of your first pic? He does look bizarre! A real beer-gut, poor chap, lol!
    Gill UK

• Mykel02
    10 years ago

Odd looking seedpod... But cool looking hehe... I love how the plant looks over all :-)

• Marie Tran
    10 years ago

I went to my friend's house today and saw that she had one DR with 28 sets of seedpods, this is natural, no hand pollination. Last year she sent me pictures with the same pot, and last year it had over 50 sets.
    I only had no more than 3 sets on any of my plants.

Do any of us see this? Probably people in Thailand saw this since they do hand pollination.

{{gwi:352650}}

{{gwi:352651}}
    Marie

This post was edited by ltran54 on Wed, Sep 18, 13 at 23:36

• chuy415
    10 years ago

Thank you Laura ;-).
    Marie- I'm speechless!! Wow :-/

Chuy

Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Marie!!!

Unbelievable.... My first thought was.. " Edward scissor hands..." Yikes!!!

I have never seen anything like it before...

Chuy.. ;-)

Mike... Thank you!!!

Gill... The big " Mandrake" lol... Was one of my first. It is huge and I really love the big ball looking crazy tree!!

Here is another pic for you.. I set a little one beside it for you to try and see the true size of this baby!!! The little one is in a six inch container.

Thanks Gill!!

Original Author
    10 years ago

This one has a set of seed pods.. I turned it so you can see them better...

Have a great day!!

Laura

• kodom087 z9a
    10 years ago

Wow! That's a lot of seed pods, Marie. Your friend is lucky. I wonder what they have that attacks the pollinators for adeniums.

Kirk

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    10 years ago

Laura, thanks for the pics of the 'Fat Bellied One', I'd no idea it was so large so a good idea to put the 6inch potted one beside it.
    Yes, Marie's pic does look like Edward Scissorhands doesn't it? My first thoughts of it producing all those pods was that it must use a huge amount of energy to do that. But I guess the fact that it made 50 sets last year and managed 28 this time proves it still had the means to do rather well. Thanks for the pics.
    Regards, Gill UK

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    10 years ago

Laura, thanks for the pics of the 'Fat Bellied One', I'd no idea it was so large so a good idea to put the 6inch potted one beside it.
    Yes, Marie's pic does look like Edward Scissorhands doesn't it? My first thoughts of it producing all those pods was that it must use a huge amount of energy to do that. But I guess the fact that it made 50 sets last year and managed 28 this time proves it still had the means to do rather well. Thanks for the pics.
    Regards, Gill UK

• MyAdenium
    10 years ago

Maybe a zinc deficiency as described in the link?

Here is a link that might be useful: adenium problems

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the link.. Very interesting..

I do use Foliage Pro Fertilizer which does have chelated zinc in it as well as other elements..so it is possible that it could be an issue, but I use this fertilizer on all of my trees and they don't show any signs of any nutrient deficiency . This particular tree is just a very different tree and I'm wondering if it isn't the variety that makes it different . The other trees produce long straight pods , but this Montrose has different looking branches that have a stunted look and the bark looks different from the others as well...

I enjoyed the link and I will see if it might need more zinc. Thanks for the info!!!

Take care,

Laura

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    10 years ago

Laura how long does it take for a seed pod to open? I have a few and was just curious. Thank you for the photos. Interesting pod. Paula

Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Everyone!!!

I wanted to show you that my crazy tree has decided to straighten Out and grow the pods as what we would expect.

They had their own mine at first, but now they look pretty good

Thanks for looking!!!

Laura

Original Author
    10 years ago

Another view...

Original Author
    10 years ago

More

This post was edited by loveplants2 on Wed, Oct 9, 13 at 3:59

Original Author
    10 years ago

More trees,,,

Night everyone.

Laura

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    10 years ago

Always nice to see your plants, Laura. Including your wonderful collection of Plumies.
    Must be true passion to keep them looking so good.
    Keep those photo's coming.
    Rick

• maark23 TX/8a
    10 years ago

Awww! I liked the seed pods crazy looking! lol

Love seeing all your plants Laura!

Mark

• kodom087 z9a
    10 years ago

Plants and pods are looking great!

Kirk

• chuy415
    10 years ago

Thanks for the update Laura!! Lookin great :-). My lil seedlings are hangin in there. It poured today for a bit so we will see how they liked the rain water.

Chuy

Original Author
    10 years ago

Hello Everyone!!!

Paula... It just depends on the time of year.. My seed pods have stalled because of the cool temps. They can grow and open in 4-8 weeks , sometimes sooner that that. All of my pods are just hanging on. The crazy pod it getting thicker and the other ones are still the same.. Go figure?

These DR pods can grow so fast and open without even noticing. I have a great pic to share with you. I'll go and see in photobucket and post for you later.. It's late here... Yes, it's very late!!

Hi Rick!!

It is a passion and I thank you for really noticing, Mahalo my friend!! Always nice to see your trees as well.. You do a wonderful job taking care of your trees!! Again, thank you!!!

Thank you Mark!!! Nice to see you!

hey Kirk!! How have you been? Thank for the kind comments!!!

Mahalo , Chuy!!!! We have been having rain for the entire week.. A low has been spinning over us and it is like a hurricane here. We call it a northeaster since the way the storm tracks.. Cold, rainy and chilly... All of the trees are still outside tho. I did some trimming of the Plumies.. Sad to see!!! I will let the DRs do what they like for the winter. I think it will be the end of October or a week or so thereafter when they will come inside. MY DH will have eye allergies again.. LOL. Guess ill get the visible out before the " eye rolling " starts... LMAO!!!

Have a great night!!

Laura

• ladylotus
    10 years ago

Laura,
    You sure do have a lot of gorgeous plants. Your adenium collection looks to be growing by leaps and bounds. Great to see you have some seed pods growing again.

Marie,
    Your friends plant with all the seed pods is truly amazing. I have never seen such a spectacle. I would be curious to know how many she gets next year...I wonder how much energy it zaps from trees to put out so many pods. I see you said the first last year she had more than 50 and this year less. Will be interesting to hear of a follow up next year.