Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yumtomatoes

Grafting Tape vs. Transparent Tape vs. Paper Tape

yumtomatoes
11 years ago

I think I am going to graft my seedlings. I saw where Marie uses transparent tape but I have read about special grafting tape. I can't get grafting tape locally and everywhere I see online to order it, it is too expensive for me because they want you to buy alot or just because it is expensive.

I can't see how the transparent tape would stay on very well especially if it rains. What about paper tape? That stays on a bit better when wet.

Any sources for grafting tape that aren't expensive (i.e., under $20 including shipping)?

Comments (23)

• Marie Tran
    11 years ago

Yumtomatoes, any tape you do, the same tape you use for Xmas wrapping. Just to hold the scion down and you tape around it. Cover with plastic bag for about 10 days or 2 weeks at the most.....I bought the tape in Walmart and it was the cheapest I can find. Under $1
    Marie

• yumtomatoes
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok, I think I am going to try the paper tape then.

• teyo
    11 years ago

you can use any tape. i've found the best quality to be parafilm, it's used in laboratory work to seal vials of all kinds (you just cut to measure), it is extremely stretchy in all directions but waterproof and not easily torn. a tiny piece will cover a scion completely and the ends can be wrapped up easily.
    i've seen it sold on ebay, not extremely expensive and a roll will last a lifetime. i get mine from the lab i work in.

• karyn1
    11 years ago

I use floral tape. It's stretchy and adheres to itself, like Kling, without any glue. It's also waterproof. You can find it in any craft or floral shop. Good luck with your grafts.

• yumtomatoes
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks karyn and teyo!

• eirol_99
    11 years ago

check this flat grafting technique..

Here is a link that might be useful: flat grafting

• Marie Tran
    11 years ago

Mr. Khuong is very well know person with desert rose in Viet Nam.
    Even Siam adenium mentioned that he learned the graft techniques, and hand polinate to be double and triple from Mr. Khuong beginning in 2006 (if I am not mistaking).

I like flat grafting and even better with the graft without using any tape. I tryed some last June and all of it took too.

Marie

• eirol_99
    11 years ago

a flat grafted adenium for about 2 weeks

• karyn1
    11 years ago

I've always used the cleft graft but am going to try the flat graft next spring. It looks much easier and from what I've heard the results are better.

• tolip
    11 years ago

@eirol_99

What an amazing grafting job you've done with your plant. Were they sucessful?

Do you have a picture of the plant now?

• Tapan Das
    3 years ago

can i use normal cello tape instead?

• bragu_DSM 5
    3 years ago

yes

• bronxfigs: New York City/7b
    3 years ago

ATTENTION:

Go to You-Tube and check out the grafting videos on MARIA'S GARDEN: DESERT ROSE: GRAFTING A NEW WAY". She grafts her plants using crazy glue to hold grafted branches. It works! I tried twice, and was successful both time...in fact the graft that I made one month ago has sprouted flower buds. Buy some crazy glue and graft your plants!

Try out this method and top work that crappy plant -that has a nice bottom, roots and branches....and just glue on the flowers that you really want onto that dog with the ugly flowers. Grow a new canopy with the flowers that YOU want.

Great to use on those unflowered seedlings....and to add some branches where none exists.

Create your own customized plant.

Good luck. If I could do it...so can you.

Frank/NYC

3 years ago

I see no reason why a named variety "stock plant" can't be used to graft many plants. Short sections of branches from the named plant can be used to top work many plants. All you need is a small "V" section of a branch with a bud that will sprout once the graft, takes. Branches can be subdivided into smaller pieces.

Try exploiting the virtues of Crazy Glue Grafting. All you can do is fail...but you might just create an unexpected, triumph, instead.

I wish I knew about this method, years ago. Too many ugly plants went into the garbage.

Good luck.

Frank/NYC-7b

• Marie Tran
    3 years ago

Hello every body. I haven't been in this site for so long.

I think grafting with super glue is the best. Last year was my first and this year is my second time grafted with super glue. This is me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19O1emcnzC8

• Marie Tran
    3 years ago

The result is very high. Later today, I will post some scions that I graft in late April and May.

3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Hi Marie!

Get any diamonds, lately? Hope your family is well.

Love your video showing super glue grafting. Great method. Twice I tried and twice it worked.

Say good-bye to those hideous, mis-matched grafts from the butchers that do all the mass grafts that flood the markets. Just match the diameters of the understock and graft, and no seam lines when done right.

Good to see your beautiful plants. All my original Adenium died. NYC and North-East region probably the worse climate locations for growing heat/sun loving Adenium....btw, the most difficult plant that I ever tried to grow, successfully. What a PITA if conditions, and culture aren't correct.

Wish I knew about super glue grafting technique years ago.

Best regards,

Frank

• Marie Tran
    3 years ago

Hello Frank, no diamonds, not anytime soon. Only plants lot of plants.

Haha.

Marie

3 years ago

Hello, friend....

So happy all is well. Enjoyed watching, and learning from your video, too.

Best regards,

Frank

• Long Tran
    3 years ago

I took some pictures but now let see if I know how to upload.

This year one scion bloomed 33 days after grafted. Now so many are blooming.

• Long Tran
    3 years ago

This is Marie Tran, don't know why it went into my husband account.

3 years ago

So... a few month's back...before I started posting comments on this forum, again, after a long absence, I came across some You-Tube videos: Maria's Garden series...about Adenium and growing other tropical plants. Love the lady. Videos are filled with good information and posted by a lady who can successfully grow plants.

Her video tutorial on how to graft Adenium using the Super Glue method was a revelation! With care, matching the diameter of the understock branches to the diameters of the grafts will give you seamless, almost invisible graft unions.

I followed the video, and followed Maria's instructions, and got perfect results. I grafted in March, 2020 while my plants were dormant....and still had success. Both of my grafted plants will now have the flowers that I want, instead of the garish pink and white single blossoms that are the typical, default Adenium flowers. I do not like pink!

The original plants, seedlings are probably 2-4 yrs old, and are at least 18" from roots to top....single-stems, no branches. Flowers are the usual pink singles. I bought the tall olants so that I can train them into the tower style Adenium "trees". But the pink flowers had to go! I happened to see a beautiful, multi-branched, Adenium in the garden center of HD that had dark cherry-red, single blossoms with a white throat. Very pretty contrast. I used the branches off this HD plant for grafting. I just Super-Glued some red-flower branches onto the top of my "tower" Adenium, and eliminated, said good-bye, to those ugly pink flowers.

Plants are doing well, and I'm happy. Glue you way to success.

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals