Return to the Adenium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grafting Tape vs. Transparent Tape vs. Paper Tape

Posted by yumtomatoes 10a/FLA (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 23, 12 at 21:39

I think I am going to graft my seedlings. I saw where Marie uses transparent tape but I have read about special grafting tape. I can't get grafting tape locally and everywhere I see online to order it, it is too expensive for me because they want you to buy alot or just because it is expensive.

I can't see how the transparent tape would stay on very well especially if it rains. What about paper tape? That stays on a bit better when wet.

Any sources for grafting tape that aren't expensive (i.e., under $20 including shipping)?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grafting Tape vs. Transparent Tape vs. Paper Tape

Yumtomatoes, any tape you do, the same tape you use for Xmas wrapping. Just to hold the scion down and you tape around it. Cover with plastic bag for about 10 days or 2 weeks at the most.....I bought the tape in Walmart and it was the cheapest I can find. Under $1
Marie

o

Ok, I think I am going to try the paper tape then.

o

you can use any tape. i've found the best quality to be parafilm, it's used in laboratory work to seal vials of all kinds (you just cut to measure), it is extremely stretchy in all directions but waterproof and not easily torn. a tiny piece will cover a scion completely and the ends can be wrapped up easily.
i've seen it sold on ebay, not extremely expensive and a roll will last a lifetime. i get mine from the lab i work in.

o

I use floral tape. It's stretchy and adheres to itself, like Kling, without any glue. It's also waterproof. You can find it in any craft or floral shop. Good luck with your grafts.

o

Thanks karyn and teyo!

o

check this flat grafting technique..

Here is a link that might be useful: flat grafting

o

Mr. Khuong is very well know person with desert rose in Viet Nam.
Even Siam adenium mentioned that he learned the graft techniques, and hand polinate to be double and triple from Mr. Khuong beginning in 2006 (if I am not mistaking).

I like flat grafting and even better with the graft without using any tape. I tryed some last June and all of it took too.

Marie

o

a flat grafted adenium for about 2 weeks

o

I've always used the cleft graft but am going to try the flat graft next spring. It looks much easier and from what I've heard the results are better.

o

@eirol_99

What an amazing grafting job you've done with your plant. Were they sucessful?

Do you have a picture of the plant now?

o

While researching grafting tapes, I found this video on using Hydrofilm as grafting tape. Hydrofilm is a waterproof transparent film for dressing wounds. The author states that it breathes so the graft will not rot and is transparent so you can observe the health and progress of the graft.

I have not tried it myself but I will give it a go.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to graft grapes

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Adenium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here