Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pagan_

What my cat allowed to survive

Pagan
10 years ago

Hey everyone. This is my Rik Ni Ran bloom from start to finish.

I found this forum nearly a year ago after I got my first adenium plant (I've never seen one before, it looked like a giant ginger).It was a bald Rik Ni Ran.
{{gwi:352663}}

Look what happened to it!
{{gwi:352664}}

Close-up:
{{gwi:352665}}

Closer:
{{gwi:352666}}

To all my generous, extremely patient mentors--thank you.

Pagan

Bonus shot:
{{gwi:352667}}

This post was edited by fakechuchi on Tue, Oct 22, 13 at 20:28

Comments (27)

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    10 years ago

Pagan,
    That is gorgeous. What a deep red and wonderful dark petal margins.
    Matches your tufa pot also.
    Rick

• Marie Tran
    10 years ago

Pegan, I don't have Rik Ni Ran but one of my friend has. When it gets bigger, it blooms like crazy for you. My friend's plant had plenty of bloom. I loved it.
    That is pretty shade of red.
    Marie

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Simply beautiful..

I love the color and I especially love your cute kitty!

Thanks for sharing and letting others see what can and will happen with a little patience!

Have a great day !!

Laura

• Pagan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, you guys. If you hadn't been so supportive, I certainly would have killed this plant by now, truly.

I'm actually shocked the buds survived the move indoors, Marie. Now I am tempted to keep it awake all winter but then it will have to compete with Catzilla here for window space.

For instance, just now when I was trying to get an update shot
    {{gwi:352669}}

Oh, and it opens! I didn't know that.

{{gwi:352670}}

Okay folks, until this flower falls off, I'm going to be the annoying new parent posting pictures of this baby's every fart and barf. Be warned.

P

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Lol...

We love it..

Go right ahead, we love to see!!

Take care,

Laura

• ginger9899
    10 years ago

Gorgeous flower! Yay! Such a pretty kitty, too :) Congrats!

-Heather

• kodom087 z9a
    10 years ago

Woohoo! It's still the top favorite of all mine. Glad you didn't go insane waiting for this beauty to open up.

Kirk

• Pagan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, you guys. And there's more!

{{gwi:352672}}

Closer:
    {{gwi:352674}}

I managed to ignore the first 2 buds actually but now, I'm eager for the last one to open so all three are open. It's still nothing compared to my sister's plants--you can't even see the leaves when they're blooming, it's ridiculous.

Pagan

• ginger9899
    10 years ago

Wow so red! I can't get over how bright it is! I so want one now lol.

-Heather

• Pagan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Heather,

I know! I was frankly surprised. I thought it would be very dark pink (but still pink) but there is no titanium white in this palette at all. Its Lego red. The first one has been open for 4 days now and has not changed at all. No clue how long it will last or whether it will darken before it shrivels.

• Mykel02
    10 years ago

"Ganda ng bulaklak" (beautiful flowers)
    I love the red color :-)

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    10 years ago

Pagan,
    You know the worst & best thing about posting these photo's of such beautiful flowers. Is that my "Want List " keeps getting longer when I see such spectacular colors on blooms.
    That red is so pure and almost delicious. I will stop, get carried away sometimes.
    Thanks for sharing,
    Rick

• Pagan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Look, you guys. They're finally all open, yay!

{{gwi:352676}}

I'm sorry, Rick, resistance is futile You are going to have to get a Rik Ni Ran lol

I have one question though: two of these flowers have 2 layers of petals but the one in the middle has 3 layers. Does that make this a trouple plant or a douple?

Pagan

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    10 years ago

Pagan, that is interesting. Looking back at the first photo taken and the subsequent ones to follow. There is definintely a change in petal numbers?
    Have heard of them producing singles and doubles on same plant, but may only be at a certain age?
    Where did you get your Rik Ni Ran?
    Rick

• Pagan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Four of my five adult plants came from Adenium Rose Co., Rick. The Rik Ni Ran was the first adenium I had ever seen and its flowers are the only blooms I have ever seen so far.

The flowers with two layers started out with two layers and that one in the middle (the second to open) started out with three layers.

P.

• kodom087 z9a
    10 years ago

Are you keeping it shaded? It's staying red a lot longer than mine did. Mine was getting about 4 hours of direct sunlight though and I'm sure that had a lot to do with it.

Also, I just looked through all the pics of mine when it bloomed in May. They were all doubles without an anomaly like your triple.

Kirk

P.S. Including the link to when I posted pics of mine for comparison so you can see what I'm talking about.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rik Ni Ran

• Pagan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, Kirk, the plant bloomed indoors. I had to move it out of the cold to save the flower buds and it still lost the smallest ones--about 8 in all. Only the three biggest ones survived. It is sitting on a south-facing window but the trees on that side of the house still have leaves so it gets very little dappled sun all day. The house is also not heated yet, the temperature is around 18C, with humidity at around 60%.

You know, come to think of it, even the purple outline on the petals are only barely visible.

p

• kodom087 z9a
    10 years ago

Now I know where I'll be moving mine on it's next bloom cycle with buds about to open! :)

Thanks!

Kirk

• Pagan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank yourself, Kirk! It never would have occurred to me to make the flowers last longer. But now we know how. Cool stuff!

Here ya go, the triple today.

{{gwi:352678}}

Oh, hang on, someone posted in Tagalog....right, Myke! Sobrang ganda nga! (Too pretty indeed!)

• kodom087 z9a
    10 years ago

That last pic is amazing! I recently restocked my drawing supplies with the intention of getting creative again and sketching some of the adenium flowers. If I get back into water color this one would be an excellent choice!

Kirk

• Pagan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi all, just updating....I think these flowers have begun to darken a bit. I didn't want to exaggerate the colours so these pics were taken without flash, using only ambient lighting. When backlit, though, they look almost purple!

{{gwi:352680}}
    {{gwi:352682}}

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    10 years ago

Beautiful!!! What else can I add?
    Gill UK

• Pagan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Final update. The Rik Ni Ran flowers lasted a month. Then, they just dropped off! lol That was a surprise.

{{gwi:352684}}

It took another day for all three flowers to just drop. I suppose it would have been different if they were pollinated?

And so here we are, all bloomed out.
    {{gwi:352686}}

That's the end of it! Thanks, everyone.

Pagan

{{gwi:352687}}

• camellia1_gw
    10 years ago

Great pics and beautiful flowers!

I love that silhouette!

• ginger9899
    10 years ago

Lol love the artistic cat shadow portrait at the end! Gorgeous blooms, gone but not forgotten ;) Now you have next summer to look forward to.

-Heather

• Pagan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Heather and Camellia (hey those are both flowers). Now I don't know how to put this plant to sleep for the winter since it's been inside all this time.

Also, take note how that window sill never gets used for plants. That shadow is always bogarting that space.

Pagan

• ladylotus
    10 years ago

Pagan,

Lovely adenium, the blooms are so bright red. Just gorgeous.

I have a cat too that like to sit on the window ledge. So I have to always make sure there is a spot for him to look out at the strays passing by, or the little rabbits making their way through my flower gardens.

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery