Return to the Adenium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How Large Before You Try to Raise Them?

Posted by yumtomatoes 10a/FLA (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 22, 12 at 22:08

My desert roses are about 8" tall, one year old. Is it time to raise them and if not, what criteria do I use to know when to try to raise them?

We also are getting a lot of rain right now so I thought raising them may help to prevent rot.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How Large Before You Try to Raise Them?

I see you are in Florida, the weather still warm for another 2-3 months, so it is good time to raise them. But better to leave them to March at the begining of growing season to make sure the safe of rot roots.

I never afraid of too much rain, unlet it in 30 or below 30 degree.

Marie

o

Just to make sure I understand, I should wait to raise them until just before the growing season starts in March?

o

• Posted by irun5k St. Pete, FL (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 23, 12 at 9:07

For zone 10 I think you are safe if you do it now- I have repotted in September a number of times.

However, this is assuming they are around a year old, and have grey caudexes (not green.) Otherwise, I would give them more time.

o

I wait until I see that the caudexes are really developing before I begin raising them. If it's just slightly bulbous I leave them be. I haven't really begun raising my seedlings that I posted pics of last week and those are pretty well developed. They all need repotting but I'm going to wait until spring and then will raise them a couple inches.

o

Here is a pic of my seedlings. Are they ready to raise?

o

I wouldn't raise them yet but you might want to cut them back. I prune mine in the early spring but being that you are in zone 10 you might be able to prune them at any time. I don't know.

o

I think rather than prune these I may use them for grafting. The red one that you can see in the picture, the flowers fade alot in the sun and I hate that. I have a favorite red desert rose that is a true red and doesn't fade much that I think I will use to graft onto any of these that have flowers that I don't care for.

o

You should definitely cut them back to encourage caudex growth and to give you more stems to graft onto. If you leave them like this most are just going to have that single stem.

o

I planted my seedlings a few months ago but many of them are tall and some even getting heavy enough on top they want to "flop" a bit - so it is ok to prune back the seedlings? Just seal the top of the cut like you would a large plant and this time of year is ok to do that? (I'm in Texas) Thanks!

o

karyn - I will cut them back but I thought I would wait to see the flowers. If I like the flower, I will keep them but if I don't, I will graft them.

o

That's what I try to do but only had about a half dozen that had bloomed within 3 years and the others were getting so tall and lanky that I couldn't stand looking at them anymore.This is the lanky group of cuttings right after I pruned them last March.
Photobucket
This is them now.
Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Adenium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here