Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yumtomatoes

How Large Before You Try to Raise Them?

yumtomatoes
11 years ago

My desert roses are about 8" tall, one year old. Is it time to raise them and if not, what criteria do I use to know when to try to raise them?

We also are getting a lot of rain right now so I thought raising them may help to prevent rot.

Comments (11)

• Marie Tran
    11 years ago

I see you are in Florida, the weather still warm for another 2-3 months, so it is good time to raise them. But better to leave them to March at the begining of growing season to make sure the safe of rot roots.

I never afraid of too much rain, unlet it in 30 or below 30 degree.

Marie

• yumtomatoes
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just to make sure I understand, I should wait to raise them until just before the growing season starts in March?

• irun5k
    11 years ago

For zone 10 I think you are safe if you do it now- I have repotted in September a number of times.

However, this is assuming they are around a year old, and have grey caudexes (not green.) Otherwise, I would give them more time.

• karyn1
    11 years ago

I wait until I see that the caudexes are really developing before I begin raising them. If it's just slightly bulbous I leave them be. I haven't really begun raising my seedlings that I posted pics of last week and those are pretty well developed. They all need repotting but I'm going to wait until spring and then will raise them a couple inches.

• yumtomatoes
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is a pic of my seedlings. Are they ready to raise?

• karyn1
    11 years ago

I wouldn't raise them yet but you might want to cut them back. I prune mine in the early spring but being that you are in zone 10 you might be able to prune them at any time. I don't know.

• yumtomatoes
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I think rather than prune these I may use them for grafting. The red one that you can see in the picture, the flowers fade alot in the sun and I hate that. I have a favorite red desert rose that is a true red and doesn't fade much that I think I will use to graft onto any of these that have flowers that I don't care for.

• karyn1
    11 years ago

You should definitely cut them back to encourage caudex growth and to give you more stems to graft onto. If you leave them like this most are just going to have that single stem.

• elucas101
    11 years ago

I planted my seedlings a few months ago but many of them are tall and some even getting heavy enough on top they want to "flop" a bit - so it is ok to prune back the seedlings? Just seal the top of the cut like you would a large plant and this time of year is ok to do that? (I'm in Texas) Thanks!

• yumtomatoes
    Original Author
    11 years ago

karyn - I will cut them back but I thought I would wait to see the flowers. If I like the flower, I will keep them but if I don't, I will graft them.

• karyn1
    11 years ago

That's what I try to do but only had about a half dozen that had bloomed within 3 years and the others were getting so tall and lanky that I couldn't stand looking at them anymore.This is the lanky group of cuttings right after I pruned them last March.
    {{gwi:341584}}
    This is them now.
    {{gwi:352086}}

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County