Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
isobea

First Desert Rose

isobea
9 years ago

Hi everyone,
I went to an orchid show this morning and found this wonderful desert rose at one of the vendors' stands. I've been growing orchids for almost 13 years and plumerias for 5 years, but know nothing much about desert roses. The seller told me to treat it almost like a plumeria - hardly any water in the winter, but quite a bit in the summer months.
Does anyone know if this is a named variety? It is grafted and the flowers are 2 1/2 inches in diameter.
I'd appreciate any info you can give me.
Iso

Comments (11)

• _eee
    9 years ago

Hi Isobea, I don't know much about Plumerias although I do have 4 of them in the yard and they get the same water that the rest of my yard gets but I have about 21 Adeniums and I grow them like I would a cactus. They are potted in a gritty mix and I water only when dry and feed once a month depending on what fertilizer I use. I know there are some experts in the group that can be of more help but until then I hope this will help a bit.
    Dottie

• isobea
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for your help Dottie. I'm not sure what kind of mix my plant is in, but when I got home I noticed the soil was pretty dry and pulling away from the edge of the pot, so I watered it. Also, yesterday and today were pretty hot (even here along the coast) and I thought a little extra water might help. Should I keep it out in full sun? I don't now if the seller had it in a greenhouse...
    Iso

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    9 years ago

Hi iso!!

So nice to see you!!!

Acclimate it from the store to full sun. Treat them like plumeria! I use a faster draining mix for mine... But just don't over water. They love the heat.

In the winter, most go dormant. They will have the spider mites as usual, but do worry when the leaves drop. I keep mine in a sunny window and give a drink once a month ( depending on the size of the container ). Little water.

So nice to see you !! Here is my baby!!!

Love seeing you here .. I do check this forum, I am over at plumeria side some of the time as well.

Beautiful bloom. on yours!!! Quite lovely!!

This is another addiction. We love it!!

this is my Buddha Belly!! Lol.

Xoxo

Lauea

• isobea
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Laura!!
    Wow, what a lovely surprise to see you here! I remember you posted pictures of your 'baby' on the plumeria forum before and I was enamored by it then. Yesterday was the first time I found a plant whose flowers wowed me enough to buy it - keep your fingers crossed that I can get it through the winter (what we call 'winter' here in Carlsbad). Can you believe I went to an orchid show and brought an adenium home? Thank goodness nobody was offering plumerias... I still check the plumeria forum daily but hardly ever post. Had surgery to repair a torn meniscus three weeks ago and have been busy with PT appointments and home exercises. Other than that life is good. Our vacation in July (to Germany and Luxembourg) was amazing. Missed you at JJ's Open House, though. Next year...
    Take good care and have a great week!
    Iso

PS: Your baby has grown quite a bit since then - do you repot it every year?

• ladylotus
    9 years ago

Iso, gorgeous bloom. I think you were given great advice. If you collect plumeria...look out as I foresee a new collection on the horizon.

Good luck with your new plant.

• _eee
    9 years ago

Hi again Isobea, I think you got some good advise and I would slowly move your Adenium into the sun maybe starting with just early morning sun and afternoon shade. I forgot to tell you that the flower is really nice and pretty.
    Laura, your Adenium is really nice also and I love the base.
    Dottie

• isobea
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi guys,
    Thank you so much for the advice and wonderful feedback Dottie, Laura and Ladylotus. I am quite perplexed because when the second bud opened all the way yesterday, I noticed some differences to the first flower: there are small petals in the middle of the flower as well as more streaking and some yellow at the base of the outside petals. I love this one just as much as the first flower, but how can there be two different flowers on the some inflo?
    I can already tell that the danger of getting bitten by the 'adenium bug' is extremely high! :-) I spent quite a bit of time last night going over pictures in google images and have no idea now which one I would buy next if I could just order any one I chose... BTW, do you think mine could be 'Pink Panther'?
    Iso

PS: The actual color of the blossom is a darker pink than the picture shows and unfortunately the yellow at the base of the outer petals is only barely visible.

• Marie Tran
    9 years ago

Iso, yes you could see 2 versions of the blooms on the same plant from time to time.
    Some times the first bloom is single, but second bloom is double. The weather makes the shade's color different too.
    But majority of time are the same.

Marie

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    9 years ago

Hello Iso and welcome to the forum, you will get some great advice here I'm certain. Your flowering adenium is lovely, I'm not generally a fan of pink, but any flower on an adenium is great to see and this one is very delicate, the markings are super.

Hi Laura, great to see ol' Buddah Belly is growing strong and well for you. You couldn't tangle those roots so spectacularly by hand if you tried...Mother Nature never ceases to amaze us.

Gill UK

• isobea
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Marie, four more flowers have opened up and to my surprise two look like the first picture I posted, the other two like the second one - go figure. I truly don't mind since I love both of them. Unfortunately three tiny buds turned brown and fell off. I'm wondering if that was caused by the move to my house (the new micro climate).

Gill, thank you for the kind words. It looks like I'll have to consult with members of this forum again and again since there is so much to know.

Have a great Sunday everyone,
    Iso

• isobea
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi guys, well the four flowers I was talking about earlier are still open and just as beautiful. BUT all the small buds - about 8 altogether on two different tips - stayed the same size and now have turned brown. Does that mean I won't get any more blossoms until next year? Is there something I could have done to prevent that?
    Iso