Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sbrow156

Red and Black DR

sbrow156
11 years ago

I went to a lovely ladies house by the name of Sandy on Saturday. She is a desert rose collector/grower/ grafter. She has thousands and thousands of desert roses ranging from seedlings to several decades old and every colour/ style and breed you can imagine. She has her own website too ... http://www.sandysadeniums.com/ anyway we had a very nice chat about desert roses and different techniques of growing and such. She sells grafts of many different types of plants. There were so many to choose from and I was so tempted to buy...well alot! :P but decided to be good and just buy one (for now :P ) i will probably go back a few more times in the near future but anyway, i got myself this lovely red and black plant. I know you are all thinking why choose simple red and black when i could have gotten a triple petal purple or a plastic (bonzai like mini desert rose)...well my fav colours are red and black thats why! :P anyway hope you all enjoy my pic :) .....fancier pics of new plants may come in the near future :P

Sarah

Comments (12)

• Neysa
    11 years ago

You were very good Sarah if you only took one plant home. It must have been very hard seeing that many plants in one place and not take more! I like the one you chose. Nice picture. Thanks for sharing.

• sbrow156
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hmmm... i was going to buy this lovely pink fancy patterned flowered one with a very fat woven looking caudex as well but i ended up not having enough money on me :( shame. Maybe ill email her and ask if she still has it :P and maybe even pick one up for my mother as a gift :P oh noooooo i have started obsessing again :P

Sarah

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    11 years ago

Hi Sarah,
    That is a beautiful red and nice size flower.
    I have not had the pleasure of meeting Sandy in person, but she has been an amazing help to me with the Adeniums. She is a founder of the Adenium Society of Australia. Very kind and a world of knowledge.
    Her place looks wonderful and I wish I lived closer. Would be there in a minute.
    Glad you had the opportunity to take it in.
    Rick

• Marie Tran
    11 years ago

Sarah, congrats on your plant. It is beautiful red, and the white throat makes it look better.
    Marie

• karyn1
    11 years ago

Lovely bloom. You certainly showed restraint. Sounds like she has an amazing collection. If you go again and she allows you to take pics I'd love to see her plants.

I found a nursery in Stuart, FL last week. While walking around I found what I thought was another part of the nursery filled with DR's. Some must have been quite old as they were taller then me with caudexes a couple feet in diameter. It turns out that it wasn't part of the nursery but is space rented by what I was told is an eccentric older lady who refuses to sell any of her plants. Considering that all I saw were single pink blooms I thought that was kind of odd. It was where the seed pod ended up in my purse ; )

• sbrow156
    Original Author
    11 years ago

WOW! thats alittle wierd she wouldnt be willing to sell any of her plants :( Wouldnt you just love one of those big giant ones!! Sandy had a few giant ones but they are all her personal plants. She is not really willing to sell them either i dont think. I really did want to take some pictures though she had mentioned she didnt have people around to the house too often as in the past she had had people walk around and cut bits off her plants or jump the fence at night and steal plants once they knew what she had so i was alittle hesitant to ask. I may next time though and just see what she says :)

Sarah

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Hi Sarah!!

Great looking DR

Love the color too!

Like others have mentioned, you have great restraint. More than i could have!! ;-)

I would also like to see pics if she will allow.

I have some seedlings growing now and i hope mine will make it throught the winter. They are still out in my greenhouse and will make their way inside soon.

My older trees are slowing down and starting to drop leaves for the season. Sad time of the year..

Karyn... will you start your seeds now or wait until spring?

Take care,

Laura

• karyn1
    11 years ago

I could understand her not selling the giant ones even though she did have quite a few but there were plenty of smaller ones. Small being a relative term as those were also a couple feet tall with the smallest caudex about 10" in diameter. What got me was all that were in bloom were the same single pink flower. I'm guessing that all are single pinks and I didn't see any evidence of grafting. Why would anyone want so many of the same plant?

Laura I planted a few the other day simply because I couldn't resist but I kind of doubt that I'll keep them as I'm 99% sure they'll be single pinks.

• sbrow156
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes I completely agree... I mean I had 4 pinks at one stage and I ended up giving away two... That is really strange..

Sarah

• kodom087 z9a
    11 years ago

Wow! I love that color a lot. I'm lean more to the reds and darker colors of most flowers of any kind for some reason although I'm ok with a lot of the pinks on the adeniums. Can't wait for a nice yellow/peach or orange/peach or basically any combination that resembles sunrise/sunset colors in the future.

Kirk

• sbrow156
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ahhhh yes....apparently the yellows are very hard to produce and dont graft well. But i would definitely be after a sunset variation if one were to pop up too :D

Sarah

• marialeal20 Leal
    10 years ago

Hi Sarah
    What a beautiful DR. I have brought 3 DR's from Sandy recently and although the weather is terribly wet and cold here on the Gold Coast I have an old DR that looks great and I haven't been able to kill it yet. So Sandy's additions are so exciting. I am new to gardening and I picked DR's because they were easy to grow. Good Clean Therapy for me as a hobby. Also trying to propagate some DR seeds with a heat mat and an Aqua One lamp and I have 28 germinated out of 35 up and looking ok. Keeping my fingers crossed. Sandy has been wonderful.

Maria

This post was edited by MariaLeal20 on Sun, Jun 2, 13 at 1:36

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths