Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frank42

size pots

frank42
11 years ago

i live in Nth. Queensland Aust.

i have about 20 small seedlings that i have raised in two containers, they now have 4 true leaves and need to be planted into single pots, could someone advise me on what size pots to use.

Cheers

Frank42

Comments (18)

• averil
    11 years ago

Hi Frank, I started some seeds in June and i transferred them into 3 inch pots. I think they will be fine in there for a good while yet. Im a newbie at the adenium business though. Best you take advice from the experienced growers in here
    Kind regards
    Averil (UK)

• karyn1
    11 years ago

Averil gave you good advice. A 3" pot is plenty big for quite a while. I like using unglazed terra cotta pots for my young plants. I use decorative clay pots for larger plants that I've decided to keep.

• Marie Tran
    11 years ago

Frank, I hope your seedlings do well for you. I love adenium seedlings, these babies look very cute with chubby bodies.
    Marie

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    11 years ago

Hello Frank....3 inch pots....perfect advice!
    Keep the compost free draining, they should do well for you with your tropical climate...far better than mine here anyway! They grow fastest as seedlings and that's when they develop their fat caudexes. Mature plants tend not to put on much caudex girth so the better they are grown when small/semi-mature the plumper they will end up....if you like chubbyness that is!! Good luck.
    Gill from the UK.

• sbrow156
    11 years ago

I think i heard somewhere that it didnt matter if you bought a pot too big? I may be wrong...i like unglazed terracotta pots too...i read somewhere they were good. You live in my area so just go to bunnings n see what sort of small terracotta pots they have...my seedling is in one much to big at the moment but he is doing really well so im not about to move him :)

Sarah

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    11 years ago

You guys in Australia should go to the Adeniumfest that the Adenium group are having there. I wish I lived there to be able to take part. Sounds like a lot of fun and plants to.

• sbrow156
    11 years ago

Oooo that sounds fun rcharles! Do you happen to know where the adeniumfest is in australia?

Sarah

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    11 years ago

Australian Adeniumfest?? wow!!!.....hope it's either in Darwin or Perth as we are coming over in early November!!!! Just googled them but can't find out any info.....any one know please?
    Gill from the UK

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    11 years ago

I will send a note and see if I can get the information and details for anyone involved.

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    11 years ago

Hi,
    The Adenkumfest is on Oct 13, from 6 a.m. - 12 noon. It is in Townsville.
    Farmer's Market, Main St. Burdell ( just past the Bohle). I am not familiar at all with Australia.
    If I can ask for any other info. Just let me know.
    Greenclaws, they are a remarkable group and very friendly. A couple of them are growing thousands of plants. Would be neat to be able to go to there places. I should see if any are near where you will going.

• sbrow156
    11 years ago

SWEET! just a 5 hour drive from cairns so i shall see if i can get my partner to agree to go :D

• frank42
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks all for your input,the adeniumfest is in Townsville as rcharles says. just about 3 hours drive from Mackay,i would love to go but am unable to get away.
    Sorry greenclaws long way away from Darwin OR Perth.
    Cheers
    Frank

• frank42
    Original Author
    11 years ago

the Adeniumfest is run by adeniumsocietyofaustralia its a yahoo group and well worth joining for any one interested in all aspects of adenium growing.
    very friendly group with lots of advice.
    yes i am a member and there is a few "honorary Australians" Americans also lol.
    cheers
    Frank

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    11 years ago

Mmmmmh, just typical! It was rather a long shot to hope it was in either area when we are over, oh well. That's the prob with Oz, the distances are just so vast....but it's an amazing country we have truly fallen for.
    Gill from the UK.

• frank42
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I know what you mean Gill, i came here in 1958 and am still here,went back to UK in 2005 but could not wait to get back home to OZ.
    cheers
    Frank

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    11 years ago

F - your soil choice dictates what size your pot can/should be. When you use heavy soils that support significant volumes of perched water, pot size can be critical because you need to guard against over-potting. As your soil becomes less water-retentive and the perched water table disappears, over-potting is relegated to nonissue status, leaving you free to pot even tiny plants in large volumes of soil. Soil volumes that ensure room for roots to run offer better opportunity for plants to grow at as close to their genetic potential as possible. No plant likes tight roots. When it's said of a plant that it likes tight quarters, in most cases what's being said is, the plant doesn't like wet feet - so it's better to grow the plant tight to eliminate much of the predisposition to root problems resultant of a heavy soil and the accompanying water retention. In essence, the stress of tight roots is preferable to the possibility of impaired root function or root rot - one limiting factor being chosen over another, or choosing the least of two evils. Choosing a well-aerated, free-draining soil and a larger pot eliminates BOTH problems, so what's not to like? ;-)

Al

• marialeal20 Leal
    10 years ago

Frank do you know where to get a number of 3" terra pots in Australia I don't seem to be able to locate any on the Gold Coast.
    Maria

• marialeal20 Leal
    10 years ago

Frank do you know where to get a number of 3" terra pots in Australia I don't seem to be able to locate any on the Gold Coast.
    Maria