Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
averil_gw

Lightbox

averil
11 years ago

This is the babies new lightbox. just a huge plastic crate with a light fitting containing 2 x 55 watt striplights suspended from a chain. I bought the lights in the end. The other half is a sparky but well you know what its like lol. The little fellas get taken off the windowsill every evening when the suns gone and they go in here for about 5 hours. I give the crate a wee spray with water to keep the humidity up a bit and just put the lid on loosely so there is a gap for air to get in. When the lights go out, the lid goes on properly and a blanket on top of that. They seem to be thriving in there. I would just keep them in there all the time but obviously have to think of cost

Kind regards to all

Averil (UK)

Comments (13)

• averil
    Original Author
    11 years ago

view from the roof lol

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    11 years ago

Looks like a wonderful set up averil.
    My concern would be the lack of air flow (movement). This can bring with it all sorts of issues.
    Are your seedlings up now? If so, how old?
    They are inside and how warm is it in space they are kept?
    The relative humidity is only really necessary for the germination process.
    Was trying to see the plants inside and could not. Makes it hard to give a complete critique.
    If they are up and growing the warmth and good light is all that you require.

• averil
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi rcharles. The youngest plant is now four months old. They are under the lights for approx 5 hours in the evening, and during the day time they are on a window sill. I leave the lid open when the plants are inside, so Ive not been worrying too much about air movement , should i put a little fan or something in there do you think?. Regarding the humidity, should i stop giving them a spray now and again. I know i did spray them when they were in the greenhouse and they were okay. I shall check the temperatures they under tonight and report back in here. Thanks for your input . You cant see the plants because they were on window when i took the pic. Sort of gone out to play for a while. ha ha
    Kind regards
    averil (UK)

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    11 years ago

I do not mean to come across as an expert. Can only speak of my experiences and that of what others have shared with me.
    If they are in there for only a short time, it should not be a problem as long as your lights are the type that do not create a lot of heat.
    The misting is kind of a question. The misting probably not essential at this point. Once in a while probably not bad, will help reduce condition in which spider mites dislike.
    I would not mist when they go under the lights.
    Mine are under lights with reflective material on three sides and top.
    The room is kept at about 60-65 F.
    I feel that I am always experimenting as we grow these in such a different environment than where they grow naturally or even in places such as Australia, Thailand, Arizona.
    Take it all in Averil and do what works for you with assistance of your fellow gardeners on this site.
    Rick

• averil
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Rick, Yes Ive thought about putting a reflective material inside the box. Ive also seen where you can just paint the inside white. I may get some mylar and fit it round the inside. The bulbs I got from a hydroponic company, and although they let out a little heat, Im assuming its not too much for the plants. Thanks for your input Rick, I really appreciate it. I shall post a pic of the the little fellas in their beds later on ha ha
    Kind regards
    Averil (UK)

• averil
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here are the kids tucked up under their lights for the nxt 5 hours. (If nothing else it should stop them getting rickets ha ha). The temp is currently 23.5 deg c but it will get warmer as they have just gone in.

• averil
    Original Author
    11 years ago

here it is again.Dont know what happened there

• averil
    Original Author
    11 years ago

These two plants were planted on 6th June and they are so different to look at. The one on the left has very small leaves. I dont know if its a problem with that plant or whether its just got some different characteristics, but it seems to be healthy enough.
    Regards
    Averil

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    11 years ago

They look very healthy Averil. The leaves can vary so much, even from one seed lot to another. In some ways that is a bonus.
    I notice such a difference with the different species that I have growing together. Leaves, growth rate, ectc.
    One that I have started is called "Mini-Size Sunup Star"
    and they are right now, tine little things next to the rest. Supposed to be a dwarf form obesum. Hoping I get something close.
    I know for me where I live. All my Adeniums will be started in Jan/Feb., they can be close to the same size as ones that I start in Oct. of previous year.
    All just a learning experience.
    Thankfully, we have a great number of people on this site willing to share their expertise and knowledge.
    Rick

• sbrow156
    11 years ago

Aww that pic off the two seedlings is so cute Avril! I dont know how old my seedling i picked up from a local fete is but he doesnt have nearly as big a caudex so far as your little ones...though he is twice as tall :/ hope his caudex gets fat soon...love ur light set up also :D

Sarah

• averil
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Sarah, some of mine are more elongated and less plump at the bottom. Theyre all different eh

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    11 years ago

Some of mine are tall, some small, some fat, some skinny, shapely ones and squat ones. Even human siblings are ofen quite different in looks, just like seeds from the 'same' batch. Wonder if our own plants resemble us individuals....there are some real bulbous at bottomed ones around! lol!!

Wouldn't that make an interesting thread???????????

Gill from the UK.

• Tracy33183
    11 years ago

Hi All,

Miami chiming in! :) I'm new to the forum and have enjoyed reading all of your posts and pics. I'm the only "green thumb hopeful" in my house. So you can imagime, not a lot of DR talk around here. My family has a severe case of the eye rolling. So happy Locoguy shared your forum with me. Thank you!

Averil,
    Love your new light box. Your babies are growing well and it looks like you thought it through. Not like me...when I tried I used an aluminum pan with a two-way bulb piece and taped aluminum foil sides. I hung my contraption over my babies. Picture that! I'm sure I have a picture to share somewhere. :) Thank you for sharing!

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County