Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xxfladenium

Al's gritty mix: Silica sand vs Napa Foor dry

xxFLadenium
9 years ago

Hello, everyone I have posted on here a few times but was curious what people like more versus these two products for Al's gritty mix. I know you can use either product as a substitute for Gran i Grit or Growers Grit. I am currently growing an adenium D.R. with the mix but which is a better choice? I did not filter any of my products either the Repti bark nor the Turface MVP. For anyone in Florida here is a link to the Silica Sand company that carries the Silica coarse grade sand and Turface MVP. I think on my next grow with this mix I will definitely filter the products with a screen. I think I used 6/20 sand or 20/30 blasting sand I think is the name but I can't remember. My plant came back to life even after pouring Foliage Pro directly onto the plant instead of mixing it with water as directed after re-transplantation of the D.R. This goes to show you how good the mix really works the plant still survived because it's a good substrate. Growing with the proper substrate in pots is definitely a key to having successful grows. I enjoyed this product because it easy to use and basically maintenance free. Any input will help for some of my future grows with the gritty mix and some screen filter sizes too if possible, thanks

http://www.fsscompany.com/abrasive-finishing/abrasives/sand/dried-sand/

Comments (4)

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    9 years ago

Not sure of the screen size I use. Screening is important. I had been not as diligent about doing so a few years back and when I lifted the plants to repot.
    I could see how all of the fine particles had filtered down to the bottom of pot.
    This is what Talpa had mentioned.
    I find with my products it is the Turface that I have to be particularly watchful of.
    Rick

• hookilau
    9 years ago

I had the same issue with Napa Floor Dry despite sifting.

I'm using something similar to the gritty mix but with 1 part commercial succulent mix, horticultural charcoal, chicken grit, pumice & some coarse sand thrown in for good measure.

It's very friable & so far, all of my re-potted plants seem to really like it. Napa floor dry turned me off, so I just tweaked the ingredients a bit =)

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    9 years ago

A well made gritty mix embodies the concept that media that hold almost all their moisture inside of soil particles and almost none between particles are easier to grow in and can offer plants greater opportunity to grow nearer their genetic potential, so neglecting to consider the importance of appropriate particle size limits the potential upside.

Equal volumes of only 3 ingredients seems so simple enough to invite tweaking, but a lot of thought and science supports the concept the gritty mix is based on. I think growers should tweak it all they want, but I also think it's easy to lose sight of the concept that provides most of the soil's advantages and allows the grower to sidestep limitations inherent in almost all commercially prepared media - even those hyped as appropriate for plants intolerant of wet feet.

I'm glad you're happy with your experimentations. It's uplifting to come across growers who openly wear their enthusiasm.

Al

• Pagan
    9 years ago

I also got a ridiculously huge bag of turface from amazon. After going through the whole bag (sifting took forEVER) I substituted pumice instead and that works just as well. It's pricey but I have less than a hundred pots and most of them are tiny (mostly haworthias and slow-growing cactus).

Other than coleus, a few mesembs and a giant pot of night-blooming jasmine, everyone else thrives in various versions of the gritty mix, tweaking just the tree bark to conform to how often I want to water anything which is my personal determining factor.

Here's the odd, unrelated bit: peat moss becomes hydrophobic when it dries completely, right? I had this happen to a pot of crassula that I forgot to repot. When peat moss desiccates, it takes hours of soaking to revivify it. So if you just pour water on it, its actually fantastic for keeping a plant from getting over-watered! I am betting, though, that this stuff will break down and fail faster. I am also betting this will not work indoors in the winter because the peat will not dry out fast enough to keep succulent roots from choking. But I'm keen to see.

Pagan

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH