Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn1_gw

OT: Things aren't looking good for the Mid Atlantic

karyn1
11 years ago

I might be kissing my backyard greenhouse goodbye in a couple days. I'm just hoping the weather service is sensationalizing what might happen with Sandy. We are looking at sustained winds of around 30 mph and gusts up to 60 with significant rainfall lasting at least 48 hours. They are calling this "The Perfect Storm". I don't see anything perfect about it! Temps aren't supposed to get too cold, 40's - 50's. That might be the only saving grace as long as my plants haven't been blown to He11. The GH has survived several storms with wind gusts above 60 mph but over the years the weather has taken it's toll and I kind of doubt it will be able to handle sustained high winds. DH is doing something out there to try and add additional security but it might be for naught. I considered moving plants into the garage but it's already pretty full. It's just a wait and see at this point.

Comments (14)

• Marie Tran
    11 years ago

Kayrn, Houston is cold too. I moved some of my DR small pots in the patio. So many still in fall bloom, but now most the buds get old and ready to drop. So sad to see them ready to go inside......garage.
    marie

• karyn1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I was happily surprised to come home to temps in the 70's last week. We even had a couple days in the 80's and it's still unseasonably warm. Honestly I'd much rather have cold then what this storm has predicted for us. I can turn on the heater but it won't do a darn thing if the GH gets blown apart. lol BTW I took pics of the new Thai COT I got in FL but they are on my phone and I have no idea how to xfer them. I left the plants I bought in FL. My brother in law occasionally drives down so I'll have him bring them up here the next time he drives down. It's easier then shipping plants in 3 gallon pots home and now that we are facing the storm they are better off down there for now anyway. My Thai COT here has just begun blooming again.

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    11 years ago

Fingers crossed for your g/h Karyn, we have lost 2 in past years with autumn gales so I know what it's like first hand x 2.
    Gill from the UK.

• sbrow156
    11 years ago

I hope the storm doesnt damage anything too much. Will be thinking of you. xo

Sarah

• Tracy33183
    11 years ago

Got my fingers crossed for you too!

• karyn1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So far it's not bad here, just heavy rain and light winds but that's supposed to change. The wind and rain is supposed to pick up over the next 24-48 hours with the worst of it late tonight and tomorrow. We might get 10 inches of rain in the next 24 hours. I'm not concerned about flooding but the wind might be a problem. Everything is already closed in anticipation, schools, colleges and even the federal government. Widespread power outages are predicted and temps are colder then first predicted, not freezing but in the low 40's.

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    11 years ago

I hope that you can all stay safe and that it does not do a lot of damage.
    Wishing you all the best.
    Rick

• averil
    11 years ago

Keep safe all you good people. Been watching this storm on the news and it looks mighty huge!! Thinking of you all x
    Averil (UK)

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    11 years ago

Karyn, had not seen the news in past day or so but caught it this morning. I am shocked at what may be in store for the Eastern US. Keep yourself and family safe, plants and g/h's can be replaced, you can't.
    Thinking of you and everyone else out there.
    Gill from the UK.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Hang on everyone..

We have major flooding...strong wind, rain and lots of power outages..

Good luck Karyn..

Everyone else in the hurrican's path.

New York has water flooding the subway system.. Major damage.

We still have strong gust here in Virginia Beach.

Plants are all tucked in and hopefully no damage. I can't tell now.. Morning will be a different story.

Thinking of you Karyn...

Laura

• sbrow156
    11 years ago

YES! omg! we have had news24 on at work all day and there is non stop coverage on the storm. It looks very scary! the new york stock exchange was 1m underwater last time i heard and yes water flooding into subway stations. Hope everyone is tucked away safely like your plants Laura..

Sarah

• karyn1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We escaped relatively unscathed. Few power outages, ours was out less then 24 hours. No property damage, just some cleaning up of debris that was blown in the yard. There's some flooding but it's not terrible. Ocean City took a bad hit but even that doesn't comapre to what happened in NJ and NY. It's a mess up there. DH and I have a lot of family in NY. I know my cousins in Oyster Bay were evacuated not sure about others on the North Shore.

• kodom087 z9a
    11 years ago

Glad you're OK. Having lived through many hurricanes living along the Texas coast it's a daunting. I can only imagine how much worse it is for people that are not used to it at all. Just hope your other family members and friends have fared as well as you did.

Kirk

• Marie Tran
    11 years ago

Karyn, I am also glad you're safe. I remembered hurricane Ike went through Houston Texas....

I hope quick recovery for people Eastcoast.

Marie

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor