Return to the Adenium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do I need 2 Adeniums for seeds to be viable?

Posted by danbob CO (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 16, 12 at 11:28

Long time lurker here.
I was given a "rescue" Adenium a few years back (not a single leaf, tiny pot, they starved it of water) and brought it back to health (it lives indoors). Last June I was evacuated from my home for almost 4 weeks due to the High Park Fire, and none of plants got watered. The Adenium was fine after a drink, but while I was gone it grew a lot of seed pods which have now opened!

I have hundreds of seeds now. But I was told by somebody who seemed like an expert that because I had only one plant, none of the seeds would germinate. Is this true? Some of the seeds are indeed hollow, but quite a few look fine.

So, should I bother starting them? I love Adeniums, I'd be happy to fill my sunroom with them!

Thanks in advance...

DAN

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do I need 2 Adeniums for seeds to be viable?

Hello Dan, that is not true.
Fresh seeds germinate no matter what.
Good luck.
Marie

o

Hi there Dan and a warm welcome to the forum. I'm sure you will find lots of useful info here and make some good on-line pals too. Glad you have crept out of the shadows to join us, lol!
You have nothing to loose by trying with your 'home-made' seeds other than a few minutes of your time and a tray of compost so why not have a go, especially as they can germinate very quickly being so fresh (I have had them pop in 4 days) so you will soon know if any are viable. It's great fun to see the fat seedlings emerge and grow on.
Let us know how you go on if you decide to sow them please as it's good to hear about everyones experiences. If you have some pics of your plant/seed pods etc etc that would be great. Good luck.
Gill from the UK.

o

http://www.flowerpictures.net/adenium/pages/adenium_hybridization.htm
http://www.flowerpictures.net/adenium/anatomy.htm
here's a site i found out how to hybridize adenium and another one showing its flower anatomy for further analysis.
it's not explicitly mentioned in the sites but i think it's possible for a solitary adenium to self- pollinate. (unfortunately, the site reads hybridization, and perchance, cross- pollination)
well, basically, adenium flowers have this gel cap blocking the receptor from the pollen which is just sitting on the top of it, reminiscent of a cook's white toque to me.
assuming that the cap is to be removed, we can say that the ovary will swell due to the pollen getting its way to the receptor.

o

Keylyn, very good info, thank you.
Marie

o

Here is a video i found. Its not in english, but you get the idea http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jo7ybhidaQ&feature=related

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jo7ybhidaQ&feature=related

o

i forgot to say that some adenium are self-sterile, and some, self- fertile, but usually self- sterile. that's why most fail to set pod when solitary, while there are some rare reports about solitary adenium setting almost often numerous seed pods just like in your case.

o

As promised, photos!
The seed pod on the lower right is opening up, and there are 2 more left rear. The plant is starting to regain it's leaves and flowers after the month it didn't get watered during the fire.
Thanks for your help, all; I'll be getting the seeds started tonight.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Adenium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here