Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melody1212

My cuttings

Melody26
10 years ago

Hi all,

I had great help from here with my 1st DR couple years ago. Now I would like to share my cuttings with you. Have a great weekend.

Comments (12)

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    10 years ago

Super healthy looking trees to me. Keep up the great job you are doing. Paula

• chuy415
    10 years ago

Beautiful cuttings!! Great job and lookin very Green!

Chuy

• ginger9899
    10 years ago

Melody, are you saying you grew those all from cuttings? Will you share your method for planting them and getting them to root. I never have luck with that and you seem very successful! They look awesome. Thanks.

-Heather

• Melody26
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Paula and Chuy.
    Hi Heather, I trimmed the mother tree in mid March. This is the way I did.
    The cuttings about 6" long. Dust cuttings with rootone and put them in an opened box for 4 days inside the house. Place the cuttings in the moist rooting medium. Firm the soil around the cuttings and water again. I have 3 pots. One of them used HD top soil. Another one used Lowes top soil. The other one used Lowes top soil with half perlit. Leave them in shade for 3 days. Then move them to direct morning sun for about 4 hours a day. Water them every other day and everyday in hot days. They took about 8 weeks to root and all doing fine. They are all in full sun after rooted. The picture is the mother tree in mid May.

• ginger9899
    10 years ago

Thanks so much Melody, that helps so much! I think perhaps my issue might be restricting water too much. I'm trying your method next.

Couple more questions though if you don't mind, what size was the longest/largest cutting that was successful, and also, did you slice all the leaves off of the cuttings or leave them on?

Thanks again so much.

-Heather

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    10 years ago

Great results and mother plant too!....Well done!
    Gill UK

• Melody26
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Gill.
    Heather, you are very welcome. Most of my cuttings were about 6" long. Some long cuttings were about 8". All of the diameter 1/2" cuttings rooted very well. Only few of the tiny ones did not make it. I did not slice the leaves off because after 4 day sitting in the box many of the them dried out and fell off. I think the most import thing is the soil must be very well drained. I put only about 3" thick of the soil for the cuttings and the pots with lots holes in the bottom.
    Hope your cuttings will make it next time.

Melody

• ginger9899
    10 years ago

Thanks again Melody, much appreciated. I have more hope now lol.

-Heather

• Marie Tran
    10 years ago

That was great result Melody with your cuttings.
    I never get that kind of luck.
    Marie

• 11otis
    10 years ago

Hi Melody. Nice flowers on the mother plant and interesting cuttings. Never seen them grown so close together. Just curious, will you be separating them later on? They all look very healthy.
    O.

• Pagan
    10 years ago

This forum saved my plants from certain death as well, Melody. These guys rock. Nice forest, by the way. In a wider, shallower pot, with some top-dressing and some props, you have yourself a scenery!

• Melody26
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Marie. Thank you all!
    You guys make me feel very lucky with the 1st time rooting the cuttings.
    I've never thought about putting a single cutting to each pot. I put as many as I could instead. LOL....
    Well, see what will happen next spring. I will keep you guys posted.

You all have a good night.
    Melody