Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tony606505

8 Years old adenium

Tony606505
9 years ago

This adenium was left unattended for 8 years outside of my house. It was planted in a big container and I did not take much care of it until a year ago. I have decided to repot it and to my surprise it has grown with a huge caudex. It is now sitting in a 12 inches bonsai pot.

Comments (12)

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    9 years ago

Tony,
    What an amazing plant. You have it so nicely presented in that pot.
    Something to say about their resilience.
    Was the portion above soil now, the same as when in the big container?
    So neat. Love it.
    Rick

• chuy415
    9 years ago

Tony,
    WOW!!!! beautiful looking plant!! looks braided :)
    maybe i should unattend some of mine and see what happens! lol

Chuy

• koi3300
    9 years ago

Tony, that's a great plant with good potential of a master piece. I like the "wind sweep style" bonsai look, with some prunning, trainning and graftings of some vibrant colours, omg...a sigh to behold. Did you angled with some wire to hold the plant intact? Thanks.

• Tony606505
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Rick, when I dug up the plant, half of the caudex were below soil level. It has now cover the whole of the 12 inches bonsai pot. It (the plant) was so heavy and I did not wire the bottom to the base of the pot. I intend to prune it when the weather is good and wait for it to bloom.

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    9 years ago

Tony,
    It is truly a work of art. Many people strive to achieve with their Adeniums to have what you do. So nice to see.
    Beautiful,
    Rick

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    9 years ago

Ah, just found a double tread on this, I replied on the other one, so I've copied it here. Just read you have already answered some of my questions...not to worry, lol!

Hello Tony, goodness me how on earth did you stabilise that, guess the pot is heavy? Great job!
    Have some of those fine roots dried up through not being in contact with the soil? I would be there with my trusty scalpel shaving them off clean with the caudex. They soon heal and leave no scars as personally I prefer a clean-shaven look, (on a plant, not my d/h!) maybe just leaving the pencil thick ones alone. Just my own opinion...if it were mine....I wish it was BTW, lol!!
    Did you grow it yourself or was it bought as a plant?

Gill UK

• Tony606505
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Gill, This adenium was purchase as a small seedling and I have completely forgotten about it because I use to play with other plants like ficus and wrightia religiosa. It was left outside of my house until a year ago when I decided to repot it.
    I have enclosed a photo which is the left side front of my house with the different variety of small tree (bonsai) that I have planted. Altogether I have about 50 of them.
    I will post some of them in the bonsai section very soon.

• Tony606505
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The adeniums were high up on top of the wall on the right side to get the best sunshine.

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    9 years ago

WoW! you certainly have some amazing bonsai trees there. The shapes and styles are very pleasing to the eye and they are shown off in those shallow bowls to great effect. They all look very happy and healthy.
    I especially admire the adenium with the low branching multi stems in the 2nd pic. Thanks for showing us :)

Gill UK

• kodom087 z9a
    9 years ago

Awesome collection! I'm jealous. LOL

Kirk

• jasonwipf
    9 years ago

Same here, very jealous. Keep up the good work.

Interesting note:
    You are the 4th or 5th online person that said "oh this was a forgot adenium" or "I really didn't pay any attention to this one" for several years and when they uprooted it they had magnificent roots. Do we play with our repoting too much? Should I leave a few somewhere in deep pots and don't even think about it for 5 years, so I get a nice surprise later? lol just a thought.

• Marie Tran
    9 years ago

Tony, I like the plant in the first picture. It is beautiful.

Marie

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES