Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
derft1

Need Winter Advice

derft1
10 years ago

Hi, I'm in Forth Worth TX. This is my first winter with Adenium's. I plan on moving them into my garage soon along with my Plumeria. Three are large and 20 or so are 5 to 8 inches tall. I plan on letting them go dormant. A few questions?

1. Should I remove the leaves?

2. Should I treat the smaller ones different then the larger ones?

3. How much water over the winter?

Any other suggestions. Thanks in advance. Fred.

Comments (4)

• derft1
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Pic 2.

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    10 years ago

Fred,
    First. Marie could give you advice as she is from Texas. I realize that there might be differences in temps.
    You will not need to remove the leaves. They will drop off on there own.
    If the younger ones are in their first year? Would be nice to give them good light through out the winter, if possible.
    Only water when completely dry.
    There is a thread/post started fairly recently about what temps. to bring in.
    Mention of 30-40 F being the lowest as long as they are kept on the dry side.
    I like mine in when night temps. get to a low of 40F.
    Rick

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Hi Fred!!

I saw this post on the Plumeria Forum and checked to see If it was here as well...

Wanted to send you what I posted there for you!!!

Rick is right, Marie lives in Texas and can give you good advise!!
    Here is my response from the Plumeria Forum:

HI Fred!!!
    Nice trees!!!

I usually leaves the leaves on the DR's until they shed naturally and it will happen. A few will keep their leaves, but most will drop. Don't be alarmed tho.. I keep mine under the windows and give them as much light as possible once I bring them in . They seem to do well In the winter inside and I would try and not worry when they shed their leaves, this is normal for this variety.

Keep the same practices for the large trees verses the smaller ones with light. The only difference is watering in the winter.. The size of the container reflects on the amount water. ( very limited and once a month in my fast draining mix). See below..

I water once a month and it is determined on the container size as well as the type of mix. My trees are in the Gritty. Therefore, i don't t worry about perched water and or root rot, so I give them a little drink once a month. Again, depending on the size of the container. They like it because they still have active / live roots. Even trees in the wild that go dormant can benefit from A drink once and a while...mother nature does this everytime it rains! ;-) for a one gallon cont. I would give a cup around the whole surface area.. Larger trees a little more. The smaller trees receive about 1/2 cup or less once a month.

Some don't water at all and have no problems. But for people that have a shorter dormancy period, I can under stand how they limit water. But...If you have a long dormancy period like me and others that don't live In a warm area ex...Cali. Florida. Texas. We Have to be careful of our cold winters. If you don't give some water to our Plumeria and DR during these long rest periods they will show by wrinkled stems and the DR getting soft and collapsing . You just have to get a good feel as to how much water to give.. If unsure, give 1/4 around the rim of Plumerias once a month and make sure the water drains. ( might not with that little water..). The DRs too. I know mine might look all bare without the leaves and especially on the DR when they all drop theirs, but I know the stems are solid and that they are alive.

Then in the spring.. You will notice on your DR' s how quickly they will bud and start the whole beautiful process all over again!!! This is the time I like to trim my DRs.

These are my suggestions.. You can read so many different ways to bring in for the winter. but this is mine!!! Great trees,, WHOOOO HOO
    They are easy to deal with.. Forget them.. Check every few weeks.

You might give them the spring clean up with a new haircut I. The early spring.. They will really thank you for this. Just don' t forget to seal the fresh cut with waterproof wood glue ( Elmer's). This help keep the mother trees exposed form Mold , rot etc

Good luck.

I love the look of them now.. Awesome!!!

Take care,

Laura

• Marie Tran
    10 years ago

Rick and Laura, both of you give good advice for winter.
    I water my plants once every 6-8 weeks with one cup for big pot and 1/4 cup for small pot.

Marie

Sponsored
Cabido Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
DC & Montgomery County's Best in Full Service, Custom Home Remodeling